To All the Stuckey Haters

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BG*CV*STUCK, Nov 29, 2009.

1. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No, it's not Amare, it's Nash. I bet Nash could turn even JMax into a 15+ ppg player.
    It's not hate about Stuckey; it's hate about that "he's a PG"- thing. He ain't. He could be a pretty decent 2 that drives to the lane with reckless abandon and dishes at times. But he's not a floor genereal. Too bad this team already has 2 very good SG's and basically needs only one very good SG. So the problem would only be solved if 2 SG's would be turned into one decent PG and one decent which is very unlikely at this point.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He did lead both teams in assists today with 8. Also, if you don't count the 4 times that he was blocked, he shot over 50%.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

A couple of those blocks were of the Josh Smith variety... nobody sees those comin'... what would it be like having JS & Ben on the front line together?... NFC... No Fly Country
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I saw them coming. He doesn't give shot blocker very much respect.

But I'm not too upset by these. He gets blocked a lot, but he also draws a lot of fouls and gets to the rim more than any guard we've had in recent memory.
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think we just want our players to be positively perfect in every way. I don't see why that's too much to ask.
  6. DesmoPiston

DesmoPiston First Round Draft Pick

Stuckey is playing the wrong position. I like his game, but just not as a PG, esp. not someone to replace CB.

Stuckey lacks court-vision. He can put his head down, and drive to the basket. If there is a big-man at the rim, we might as well count it as a blocked attempt or a circus shot. Take yesterdays game for example. You'll see Ben handing the ball over to Stuckey, Stuckey runs of the pick, Ben slides down to the basket, and wide open. Yet, Stuckey doesn't realize that there is an open man who can dunk the crap out of it. He passes the ball out to the dude on 3pt line who has no shot of doing anything. Same goes for Will-Bynum, only he comes off the bench, and it doesn't look bad.

Stuckey is a pretty good SG, but he is playing out of position.
  7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

We will be fine when Stuck has more weapons at his disposal. I just hope we get those guys back before the All-Star break.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I keep laughing to myself every time I see one of our rookies make a really clever pass to Ben Wallace out near the free throw line. There is a reason he's open! JJ and AD are still telegraphing passes and seem to have some tunnel vision when they're out there still. This should go away once they get comfortable.

But Ben must be in heaven right now with all the touches.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good point, Desmo. I think you can be critical of a player's faults without being "delusional" or being a "hater". Stuckey does some amazing things. At times, he is unstoppable. At other times, though, he forces shots, misses open teammates, and makes poor decisions.

Perhaps Stuckey will never be a great point guard. As you say, just moving him to shooting guard might be the answer. The obvious problem, though, is Pistons simply have too many guys at that position right now.
  10. DesmoPiston

^ This is the craziest thing. We had a very promising SG in Stuckey to potentially replace RIP. Instead, we decided to ship our elite PG (rare kind in NBA), re-sign/extend our elite SG in RIP, sign another elite SG in Ben, find a SG gem in Bynum. Makes you scratch your head on what Joe was thinking. It's like he is stocking up on SGs for some black-friday deals or something. It must be the hangover from six-straight ECFs
  11. Delfino Delivers

Everyone keeps saying that Stuck is in the wrong position. Are you kidding me. Stuck will be a decent point guard when the scoring load is off his shoulders and he can concentrate on dishing the ball off and only worry about scoring when something breaks down or the defense falls asleep on him.

I have seen numerous posts about his shooting percentage, poor decisions and the number of shots he gets blocked. Is that what you want in your #1 - #2 scoring option???:nerd2:

The same things that people keep pointing out as weaknesses will only be magnified if he was switched to shooting guard. His new position would force him into more turnovers, blocked shots and a worse FG%.

He is in the right position but he needs to have some of the scoring load removed; not added to him. He needs to take advantage of a defense that is sagging off him or that is caught out of postion on a rotation. One that is not looking at him as a primary scorer. If the defenseive man turns his head; Stuck could blow by him. If they get caught slow on a rotation; he can hit the open jumper.

If he was our primary scoring option the defenses would be keying on him and that would make for some very UGLY games.
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Agreed. Case in point: Deron Williams turning Paul Millsap into Carlos Boozer 2.0 when Booz went down with injury.
  13. DesmoPiston

IMO, Stuckey is getting more playing time to get better at PG position. He should start trying to dish the ball, make simple passes to the open man. He is not going to be a 50pt scorer to get a win just by taking scoring on his shoulders. I would be more than ok if he had turn-overs trying to pass the ball than missed field goals. I would like to see him learn the PG traits, instead of trying to drive or force the shots, if he supposed to be our future PG. If he has 10 assists and 15 TOs and we lost the game, that's fine... eventually he will learn not to TO ball. If he keeps on doing the same thing over and over again, as in driving or forcing shots, he is never going to be a PG. We're not contending for championship. This year adds to investment in stucky to be our next PG. He should try to use that.. that's all

umm.. no?

Not completely true. If he is at the SG, he doesn't have the ball in the hand to dribble his way to the basket. The dude running the PG will dish out to Stuckey when he sees that Stuckey has a mis-match or an opening. Hence his FG% will get better.

So, Stuckey is not shooting well because he wants the defense to think he is not the primary scoring option? :D j/k
  14. Walter

He's learning though. He drove right at Kaman, supposedly a good shot blocker, in the Clippers game and was very effective. He also had a really good game against the Hawks.

This 3SG/1PG rotation is a bit unorthodox and is really outside my comfort zone as a fan. However, it seems like it's got great potential. I'm really looking forward to having both Rip & Gordon back and see what Q's guard rotation really looks like. It is possible that the versatility of having 3 very good SGs and a berserk backup PG replace the need for a 1 very good PG.
  15. Delfino Delivers

Stuckey is not shooting well because defenses now we are down on scoring options and that he is trying to pick up that load.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This all sounds good if Stuckey actually has the capability to drive and dish. We have not seen that yet. It's not impossible to teach an old dog new tricks, but I'm sure he's been playing basketball a long time already.
  17. Delfino Delivers

But there is noone to dish to. He is in score mode because that's what we need. His assists shouldn't be coming from driving the lane and dropping the ball to Kwame. They should be coming from hitting Rip on a curl or a reversal of the ball from Rip off the Curl to Ben Gordon in the opposite corner.

His buckets should be an open jumper from the top of the key from a pass from Rip curling down the lane and the defense sagging to him or a drive past a recovering defender who was sagging on Rip or BG for a lay up.

He is forcing the issue to score because we lack scorers right now or at least potential scorers (so we can include Tay).
  18. Walter

You have a point DD. In Rip/Tay/BenGo we're missing about 50 ppg. It gets worse if you ad CV to that. The average scoring percentage of our starting 5 (without Stuckey) against the Hawks was: 4.4+4.7+6.5+4.7. A whopping grand total of 20.3 ppg. Yeah, the numbers may not look so bleak when you normalize for 36 minutes or whatever, but the fact remains that with Rip, Gordon, Tay and now CV sidelined, the primary scoring option outside of Stuckey and Bynum is: Jonas Jerebko.

I say we take a break now, and resume bashing Stuckey when the injured guys come back.
  19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Willie Nelson describes it best...

"To all the Stuckey's I've loved before...
    Who traveled all the way down the floor...
    I dedicate this thread... to those that say he's dead.

To all the Stuckey's I've loved before...
    They say he'd never pass... while getting stuffed by the best
    What happened to the stroke?... Is it truly broke?

The winds of change are coming... Chris Paul will be foaming.
    When we see those dimes on the spot... new posters will be bought
    He plays the game with heart... when he plays the leading part....fair weathers stay off the cart...

To all the Stuckeeeys I've looooved before!
  20. DesmoPiston

So, you're suggesting that we need three guards in the game to take the load off of Stuckey? Kwame, Max, and Ben cover one position. They are solid scorers when they are with in 2ft from the basket. Stuckey has to realize the cutters and pick-n-rollers. Watch the game when you see Stuckey come off a pick and the pick slides to the basket. the pick doesn't get the ball even when he is wide open under the basket. Ben is not a scorer, but he can dunk with authority when open. So can Max (Kwame-the butter fingers is another issue). Watch the RIP and Stuckey curl. RIP comes off of a curl and he doesn't get the ball until he is at the 3pt line. Same curl, CB is just waiting to dish it to RIP at mid-range while the defender is still fighting the screen. I don't want Stuckey to be CB over-night, but I want the effort towards becoming the PG we aspire him to be. May be the coach should hook Stuckey up with an ear-piece so he can tell him where the open man is while he is busy driving. Like I said before, I like Stuckey's game, he will be a great SG, but if we want him to be a PG, he should start working on it.