1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

To All the Stuckey Haters

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BG*CV*STUCK, Nov 29, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey is a much better PG than Rip would be though. Rip is 100% incapable of playing that position while Stuckey is OK at it.

The model we could be pursuing is to have dual combo guards on the court at all times vs. a traditional set-up man. Bynum/Stuck/Gordon would accomplish this. All three of them can dribble and drive which would open our offense up to having 2 PG options on every possession to exploit any defensive weaknesses. A strong PG defender could no longer disrupt our offense. A decent SG defender won't be able to stop the dribble drive.

2. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

Can they do that? That be awesome...lol

3. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

And notice that who ever plays with Nash has the best scoring numbers of their careers. Of course the Run N Gun system has something to do with it, as well.

However, while I think Stoudimire isn't as good as HE thinks he is, he is no slouch. And Milsap is no slouch either.

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I know that the assist numbers don't show it but I think when compared to Stuck and Will, Bengo (in a limited role) looks more comfortable playing the PG spot.

Ben is at least willing to facillitate and seems to play the point with his head up more than the other two. He also seems more willing to swing the ball from side to side rather than pound the rock prior to calling his own number.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Basically, BG is more of a triple threat than the others. The defense has to overplay him to take away his J, which opens up his drives and passing options. With Stuck and Will, the defense has to sag to take away their drives, which opens up the jump shots, but not necessarily passing opportunities.

6. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ben Gordon is just a better all around basketball player than Will and Stuck. Simple as that. Better shot, higher IQ, better facilitator, more of a team player...maybe not a better defender than Stuck, because I've really appreciated Stucks D as of late on guys like LBJ and Joe Johnson.

7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. At this point ben is the better option at pg.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Shhhiiiiii, Wilcox, Max, JJ, and Ben can all catch and finish above the rim, they can all catch lob passes, they all know how to move to the gaps opened up from guard penetration, IF THE GUARDS GIVE THE DAMN BALL UP!!!!
    To Kwame, NO! But HIS asts should most definitely be coming from drive and kick, as well as drive and drop off. If he had a any incling, he'd get 4 asts/game just from driving and dropping off the rock.
    True, but not all of them. If that's the case then we are not scoring in the paint and we're not taking advantage of STuckey's strengths, we're taking advantage of Chauncey's strength's and Stuckey is in no way Chauncey Billups.
    I'm so glad someone else actually watches and understands this game.

And not a single one of them know how to RUN AN OFFENSE!!!

9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't agree about Gordon being a better facilitator.

10. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Not sure how to multi-quote.

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe not, but he did a much better job feeding CV the ball for nice open jumpers than Stuck/Bynum during the 3-game win streak. If those two are starting to develop some chemistry, it is really good news.

None of our guards can be called a facilitator really. But hopefully the sum will become greater than the parts. After all, wasn't that what brought the 2004 title?

Another point is that having 3 guards that have about the same skill handling the point (I'd say slighly above average) gives us some flexibility during injuries and/or off-nights. With teams that are blessed with a brilliant PG like Utah, New Orleans, Phoenix, everything hinges on the performance and health of that one guy.

I am really enjoying the type of basketball we're playing. The lack of a true PG doesn't bother me as much as it did before the season started. We've got what we've been yearning for. Aggressive guards who relentlessly drive to the basket. Our offense no longer consists of waiting for Rip to run through 18 screens and/or Sheed heaving 3 pointers from 86 feet away. I find that refreshing.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is the difference between playing with Rip (last year) and Ben Gordon (this year) for Rodney Stuckey.

They each make about 7 FG's per game on 15.5 FGA's.

However, on average, 2.85 of Ben's FG's were assisted while 4.90 of Rip's were assisted.

That right there accounts for 2 assists less per game for the team, even though the efficiency is slightly greater with Ben Gordon (eFG of .496 vs. Rip's eFG of .480).

You have to figure that at least 1 of those assists would go to Stuckey. This probably accounts for a big portion of his drop off year over year in this department.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Rodney has some nice numbers the past 5 games... tonight he was on his PG game...
    but as Rodney say " I don't get no respect at all"

14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Stucke isn ot and will not be a "pure" PG.I´m accepting it and better if you do so.

instead of "ohwhyohwhy stucke does not pass", well...others have to work for passes. You simply can´t stand under basket and wait for ball.

Simply passing for big and "see what he can do " is not involvement at all.

Set screens, set pick, cut and run and you´ll rewarded.

face it: there is no back to basket dominating monster hungry for ball.

therefore our bigs such as Kwame Brown has to work hard to get himself for good positions because of his and other bigs´ arsenal is very limited.

15. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Stuckey made some really nice passes yesterday.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He plays his best PG game when he plays the 2. He can make plays, HE CAN NOT RUN AN OFFENSE, it simply confuses the isht out of him.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Thanks but I like thinking for myself... Yesterday was an example of a "pure PG"... it's within his abilities (see early Chauncey).

Your point is well taken about nobody worth passing to in the post... all the more reason that he could get easy assist by dumping it to a "worthy post player"... the type of assists doesn't matter as long as get it to teamates at the right time/spot.

IMO the key will be his outside shooting... if it continues to improve this will open lanes as well as post feeds (for when we actually get an inside threat).... .... I like the recent trend... at least he's looking elsewhere.

In noway am I ready to throw in the towel on his PG growth potential... even if his future is a combo.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

With all that double talk you should run for President.
    Rodney Stuckey starting PG-NO! Starting Combo Guard HELL YES!!!!!!!

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Look at all of the assist to Ben Wallace. Those weren't because he's a skilled post player.

If you give any big man to CP3, he's going to make that big man score. With Stuckey and his ability to drive, he should also regularly be creating dunks for Ben, Maxiell, and Wilcox and should be kicking out to CV for jumpers. It will come with time and feedback from the coaching staff.

As the announcers were mentioning in the game yesterday, Jennings has an edited tape of every assists, turnover, good shot, and bad shot after each game and he and Skiles go through the tape and discuss each situation. The PG is like a QB and you gotta be learning constantly.

20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That really sums it up, doesn't it? A good point guard is going to spread the opportunities and make it easier for everyone to score, keep the defense off balance, and when available, hurt them himself. I don't see one of those guys in Detroit, or on many others teams either.