To All the Stuckey Haters

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BG*CV*STUCK, Nov 29, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You don't get a lot of games in Taiwan KG.

Bro is just saying, call him whatever you want, his results can't be denied.

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Understood, Sincere apologies.
    The results can't be denied but I can argue that his results aren't as likely if he has the responsibility of running the offense. Look at his numbers (mainly FG% and asts) in November, now look at the same numbers in December when we took him off the point. In November he is a volume shooting bricklayer on a bad team, in December he is an efficient all-star on a really good team. I mean what more does the org need to see to get a clue, but as Pass mentioned in another thread, there's a whole lot more to this internally than just basketball.

3. max

max All-Star

We have a future superstar that is playing out of positon. What a problem to have - that should put us at def con 4.

Last night he had 7 assists with Rip back.

His FG% has officially climbed into the Billups range, CB used to shoot in the lower 40's.

4. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

Yeah, I noticed Stuckey doing the "drive and kick" last night. I had a little mark out moment because he looked so natural doing it. Too bad on the two occasions I saw him do it his man bricked the open jumper. And I think one was almost one of those "hockey assist" sort of things.

Anyway, I really believe we need to ride this Stuckey thing out, he's showing a lot of growth lately and I think he'll continue to grow...

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Ok, Ok, ok. But I still think we're short 4 or 5 wins exchanging Ben for the next best available min contract big man.

Stuckey is scoring, but Ben is the one doing the little things that win games.

6. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Agreed. We aren't winning this season anyways. It's a development season. Stuckey is taking his game to a new level this year. His averages over the last 10 games are really good.

7. max

max All-Star

I choose to worry about next season - next season. For now, lets be glad that we have Ben.

We know things are going change. We know there is a high probability of a mid-season trade. We know, and Dumars has said, that many players we have now will not be on the team in the future.

It's a true transition year and have to admit that it's been entertaining. Just a couple of weeks ago the team was 6-12 and now they are 11-12 looking up.

8. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

The way he is playing right now I can see
    him signing on another year possibly for the vet's minnimum or a cheap one year deal. I think we are one good big man away from contending next year.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

To be honest I thought the Pistons had to play Stuckey at the 1 in order for him to be anything other than ordinary. He has really surprised me at the 2. You can never have enough shooting guards.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

A fair assesment

11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

He had 7 turnovers too. Going for a triple double the hard way.

12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I guess the way I look at it is we are more dangerous the way we are structured now then if we had a true PG.

When you are running a true point guard, the roles are defined on the court and the positions become easier to defend (unless you have an all-star point guard). If you have the ability to switch your pg and sg positions from play-to-play on the floor; it makes you more dangerous in my opinion. Last night we saw how we could play with Rip at the point and Stuck at the 2 depending on match-ups that they had. This is what gets me excited about what kind of team we can be when ben and Tay get back. We could have Tay at the point and ben and Rip on the wings for a play and then switch it up on the fly.

WE will become a nightmare for the opposition to match up with.

Stuckey's numbers are up because he has concentrated on scoring and his game is improving. I am not sure if that is because he is playing the 2 or because he is becoming more confident in himself and the playbook.

13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I'm on that bandwagon.

14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We're running the Wildcat offense? Now I've seen everything.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Did you see the game? Because they got us behind by 13 pts, it was Chucky who came in and righted the ship. There are so many nuances to the PG position, here I'll mention a few:
    1. Stuckey's handles, they're suspect. Teams always reach on Stuck and make him turn his back, he fumbles the rock, and time keeps ticking off the shot clock, and the offense ends up running a bad set.
    2. The point plays more time at the top of the circle against a set defense, this is why he struggle sto get to the hoop without getting his shot blocked or picking up a charge. On the wing he comes from the weakside with his defender trailing and he cathches the ball in a triple threat where he's 10 times more effective.
    3. The point needs to get everybody involved and be an extension of the coach on the floor, Stuckey doesn't have that ability right now, not saying that he never will, but right now he doesn't.
    I could go on and on, but trust and believe that right now, the best thing for Stuckey and these Detroit Pistons is to have him playing on the wing, not the point, especially when we have so many scorers on this team that need to be fed. The last thing I want to see happen is to take what could be a 25ppg scorer in Rodney Stuckey and make him overthink the game until he becomes hesitant and uneffective, which he has clearly shown he does as the PG, the tape and numbers don't lie.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

With Atkins on the court this year, we are -33 (154 to 187).

With him on the bench, we are -3 (1707 to 1710).

Seems like we do OK without him in the game compared to when he's in. Having a guard in the game that makes Stuckey's jump shot look like Ray Allen's does have it's detriments.

On the other hand, Chucky seems to be playing better recently, so maybe he just needed to shake the rust off and his numbers will improve. I'm not a Chucky/Stuckey hater or lover... remaining open minded.

17. Delfino Delivers

I realize that he is still learnong the position but I am hesitant to think that moving Rip to play Stuck at the 2 makes us better. It seems that if they can split time at both positions we are better off.

I guess I am looking towards the future when he becomes more comfortable at the pg position and can also play the 2. I like the versatility of having Rip, Stuck, BG and Bynum all being interchangeable while on the floor. I do not see any of them as TRUE pg's. Chucky is probably the truest PG we have but I am not thinking he is a long term solution.

I guess I am of the opinion that Stuck will get better with more playing time. I think one of the reasons he was struggling early at the PG position was because he was playing point and also HAD to be our leading scorer. That won't be the case when we get healthy so the "pressure" of scoring will be lifted and he can concentrate on just playing.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's gotten much better defensively. So, he is proving that he is a guy who wants to get better.

With a good coach in Kuester, it's possible that Stuck can pick up a lot of the PG habits that we would want to see him have. In the meantime, since we have Rip and BG, we may as well keep giving Stuck minutes at PG and give him another year to grow into it. Ben Gordon is probably too good to get clean-up garbage minutes at SG. He'd be a landslide winner for 11th man of the year.

19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

First Chauncey needed to be moved so that Stuckey could shine as point guard. Now Rip needs to be moved so that Stuckey can move to shooting guard. Is Ben next? Stuckey is cleaning out the championship core one player at a time.

20. Delfino Delivers

I was going to say the same thing. Let's run with a team of depth for a while and see how that goes.

Seems like people around here are always trying to get rid of a player that is starting to develop instead of enjoy his play. Stuckey will be fine when we are at full strength.