To Hell with Grant Hill

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, May 20, 2007.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I was going to leave this for the Spurs/Jazz thread but, damn that. This is enough to warrant it's own discussion.

There is NO video footage in existence of Bill Laimbeer purposing making plays that have or could potentially injure a player long or short term (hard fouls excluded) - think Karate kick footage from the Youtube video on Bowen.

Yet, lo and behold, everyone's favorite clean boy, Grant Hill felt the need on national TV to shy away from calling Bowen a "dirty" player.

However, he was also moved to toss in this little gem:

"Now, Bill Laimbeer, HE was a dirty player."

I'm saying it right now and I don't care who knows....

F*** Grant Hill and I hope Dumars never ONCE entertains the thought of bringing this jackass back to DET to finish his "illustrious" career.
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That's ridiculous. Grant never even played with or against Laimbs. But hey, easy target for yukking it up with all his journalist friends.
  3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

He's never going to win anything. Screw him.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

He would be a great backup to Tay. I hope Joe signs him.
  5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

GRANT HILL + TAMIA = LOO-HOO-HOO-HOOOOOOO-SERRRRRR!!!...

P.S.- the only really "dirty" play I saw Bill do was the one I feel he got away with: In a playoff game vs Milwaukee in the old Mecca, Larry Krystowiac wa sgoing in on alayup off a steal. Bill tried to catch up to him with no chance in Hell of blocking the shot. It was like one wall of paint trying to dry faster than another wall of paint. I digress. Anyway, lamb reach out with his hand and touched K's back. He slipped and pulled his knee out. I watched the replay over and over and couldnt help not believing Lamb didnt do that on purpose. Ive never denied the fact Lamb and horn werent dirty, I just didnt givacrap because at least they were on my side.....That reminds me, did anyone remember back in the Ruland/mahorn days when Mahorn said "he couldnt stand the little blank!"? That little blank was Capt zeke:pound: :pound: .
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Hill is a china doll. He probably resents an ironman like Laimbeer who missed less games in his 12 years or so in the league than Hill misses in an average week. :crutch:

You're right Low. Who needs him? What's he won? Nothing! Lambs has two dirty azz trophies.
  7. max

max All-Star

Seems like over the past 2 years Dumars has been trying to get away from bringing in used up vets to patch holes ( Maxiel, Delfino). If a Webber comes by for almost nothing you take it but overall I would like to see more youth infusion rather than brining is a dried up vet like Hill.
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Even without his Laimbeer comment, there's no way I want Grant back...I'd rather have Stackhouse.
  9. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

stackhouse is at least Tough.
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I got a DVD set of the 1st Champioship season Piston playoffs. It has the whole games on it and Laimbeer took a lot of cheap shots and that's a fact.

I don't care much for Grant Hill but I agree with Slippy that he would be a great addition to this team. I really get sick of the whole .."oh what a gentleman Grant Hill is"..what makes him a gentleman? He has a soft voice..maybe that's it?
  11. 4cwebb

4cwebb First Round Draft Pick

Is there some sort of honor code among NBA players about discussing current players and whether or not they are dirty? I ask because I haven't heard one former or current NBA player opine that Bowen is dirty when asked about the Bowen situation with Amare (which to me was pretty obviously a sneaky little move by Bowen that was not a natural basketball action --- similar to the Kobe elbows to the face).

But apparently only some journalists and fans see the play this way, or if any current or former players see it this way, they are not talking about it on national television. I watched Greg Anthony dance around this same subject on ESPN at least 4 separate times, even when confronted with video evidence (although not challenged by the studio host). I'm just wondering what is up with everyone being so tight lipped about it.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Maybe current players are keeping their mouths shut because they don't want to get a Bruce Bowen Elbow to the Head.
  13. Pwn Toney

I just think it's taboo and no one wants to be on that island alone. Everyone else in the league runs fast and far away from anyone who makes assertions that someone is dirty.
  14. Pwn Toney

I'm sorry, I don't agree. I have that set and spent this weekend watching it...

He fouled people very hard and would clobber guys in the lane, but those were arm and body fouls, I can't say I saw Laimbeer do things in the same vein as Bowen or even Eric Snow. No achilles kicks, foot under the jump shooter's ankles, or Snow's patented knee to the sternum layup.
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Ok...you're right..Laimbeer wasn't trying to injure people but he elbowed people after plays were done shoved them after plays etc. Let's not pretend he didn't take some cheap shots.
  16. Pwn Toney

Ok look, if Laimbeer shoves you after a play, you might be pissed off, but you're season or your career isn't in danger. I think there is a distinct difference between that and a dirty player.

What Horry did to Nash wasn't going to put his season or career in jeapordy...it just served to piss off the entire PHX team. What Bowen does is much worse because it leads to injuries, some that could potentially threaten a player's career.
  17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I have to agree. After playing Lamb the players would have bumps and bruises and that is all. When playing against Bowen, you could have a serious injury. And a kick to the face? Man, I couldn't believe that video when I watched it.
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think Bill was dirty but he wasn't any more dirty than a good number of top nba guys like stockton. I think players got mad when he flopped when they pushed back or when he acted like "what? a foul? how?"
  19. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Let Hill play for somebody else. His skills aren't anything special at this point, and the Pistons owe him NOTHING. Fill the spot with a young guy who'll fight for the team, rather than his image.
  20. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

link: Hill will listen to other offers, perhaps Pistons' - USATODAY.com