To Tank, or not To TanK

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Dec 11, 2009.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

While it has not been said explicity some seem to think it has been implied. What my main man Merc was trying to state is that we're in a catch-22 here. If we play solid B-Ball and end up over .500, and get a low playoff seed, we set ourselves up for a 1st round exit, and a low level draft pick...NOT GOOD, especially since we don't have any wiggle room financially. So here are some scenarios I'm hoping for:
    1. We play +.500 ball and MISS the playoffs, this will result in a really good lottery pick.
    2. Somehow we package Rip and Max in a trade where we get back a lottery pick.
    3. We accomplish both 1 and 2.
    Personally I like what we have, I think we are a solid PG (**cough**Baron Davis**cough) away from getting to the next level.

Against Denver I saw something very promising on the court, when JJ, Day, and CV are all on the court together we have 3 players that are at least 6'10" that can all put the ball on the floor, and shoot out to the 3pt line, and the oldest of that bunch is a 25 year old Charlie Villanueva, not many teams can say that they have that type of talent and versatility on their team.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's a very good question....just what are the goals for this season?

If the Pistons play +.500 ball, though, they will make the playoffs. In the Eastern Conference, .450 makes the playoffs if they were held today. Last year, it only took .476 to make the post-season.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I say play Kwame Brown at PG for 40 minutes a night.
    John Wall can replace him in the lineup next year.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You can never ask your players or coach to tank. It has to be done by management (like trading CB for AI). Then you tell the incoming player that they are the key to the team's success and they get the blame when they can't make it happen. Everybody feels like they are trying their best and then the team gets a good draft pick and breaks out of no man's land.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

They're not playing Rip, Gordon and Tay plus they start Chucky Atkins, how much more could they tank?
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So far, Kander is the only one that is implementing the tanking strategy. Not ever sure if he got Joe's sign off on it. Dude's been rubbing placebo cream all year long and he's only using half power on the water molecule bonding alignment machine.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It's funny, it was David Robinson's injury that caused a really good Spurs team to become really bad, really quick, for one season, they got the #1 pick that year and the rest is history. Miami landed the #2 pick because of Wade's injury. Maybe this injury is bug is just what the doctor ordered-no pun intended.
  8. DesmoPiston

DesmoPiston First Round Draft Pick

NO TANKING...

Takes the fun out of games.NBA is for fun, not for gambling. They should make tanking illegal.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No doubt. Kuester should get Coach of the Year for getting these scrubs to win 5 out of 6.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Michael Curry would not have beat the Nuggs with:

Atkins/ (nobody)
    Stuckey/ Daye
    Jerebko/ Summers
    Maxiell/ Villanueva
    Wallace/ Kwame

THAT IS FOR SURE.

Really was quite an accomplishment.
  11. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

I could not waste the energy being a fan of a team that tanks a season, ever, for any reason. All I really need to see is maximum effort, that's why this season has been so fun to watch so far. If there are too many injuries, the players are just too young and they get beat by more veteren teams that just know how to win I can live with the losses, even if it means a 20 win season. As long as the guys on the floor give 100% all the time, coaches have a game plan that could work and the GM tries to win now and build for the future, let the chips fall where they may.
    But please, no tanking.
  12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

It is way too early to even think about this. We have no idea what kind of team we really have.

Went to the game last nite and it was pretty good. It's alot different then watching it in HI-Def on my big screen but those last two minutes had people on their feet.

I heard that Rip is due back before the start of the new year. Tay had said he was a wee or so away last week. Haven't heard from ben but assume he is probably in the same time frame since he was able to come back and play limited already.

We will be looking at a very versatile team that will be difficult for our opponents to match up with. Their will also be a limited drop off from the starters to the bench with the extended minutes the bench is getting now.

When Tay and Rip come back I see Tay moving into his 3 spot and JJ going to 4, Rip at the 2 with Stuck at the point. JJ, Ben and Tay will set the tone for us defensively. When we go to the bench and bring Bynum in for Stuck, Gordon for Rip, Daye for Tay, Max for JJ and Kwame for Ben there should be little drop off defensively or offensively. These guys all seem interchaneable to me.

We need to see our complete team for 20-30 games to see where we are and I think we will all be pleasantly suprised.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

NBA Revenues Slide 7.4% Amid Recession - CBS News

Now, we have a team that is giving 110% every night and revenues are down the most in the entire league as a staggering 43%. Meanwhile, Denver's revenues are up 20%... not because their local economy is booming, but because their fans think they are a contender.

We have to do everything we can to become a contender again. Overloading on SG's, limping into the playoffs, getting swept, and picking up a middle of the pack draft choice isn't the formula.

Hitting rock bottom, developing and showcasing young players, saving FA $, and getting a great draft pick is the path. We aren't going to sell those windowless bunker suites with Austin Daye type picks. Attendance can't possibly go any lower. The only people showing up at the Palace right now are your fellow forumite-types and they'll come to watch the coffee race the donut and the bagel.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Where did the word tank come from?... I mean did someone drive a tank into the river or something.
    Maybe a more acceptable phrase would be "align new development strategies"
    These kids just don't know that they shouldn't be able to win with their diapers falling off.... and now they're discovering that team play is more beneficial to gaining PT than padding stats...
    In short the kids ain't gonna let us get a high pick.

Nobody likes to see them lose games... it's more about acquiring the pieces to get back to elite level.

Tank you for your input.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In the tank. « The Word Detective
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Classic Merc right thurrrrr.........

I really like this team.
    • The Rooks:JJ, Daye, Summers;
    • Stuckey- when he's playing the 2-Guard,
    • Charlie V - when he's coming off the bench,
    • bengo - when he's on FIRE!!,
    • BEN - when he's just doing what he does.
    This is a team that can make it to the ECF's next season if they continue to build on the things they are already doing well.

Again, package Rip and Max for a low cost PG/Floor General, and we're in business!!! Over the summer I'd be taking a serious look at Javaris Crittenton, he may just need the right situation to really blossom.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ben Wallace isn't a solution going forward. He's playing out of his mind right now, but by the time we get momentum in the next year or two, he will be fading, injured, or retired. Replacing what he is doing for us right now won't be easy.

So, as we take steps forward in the rebuild, also expect to take a few steps back.
  18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wonder if another Ben Wallace is even possible in this league. Putting aside the physical skills, Ben is an incredibly smart basketball player. He understands the game at a pretty deep level, and a lot of that comes from experience. I doubt someone with his offensive limitations would ever get the playing time necessary to get to his level in today's league.
  19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I think JJ can do the things that BEN can do. He needs the playing time and mentoring but I think he is well on his way. We may already have BEN's replacement on the team.
  20. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dont forget that leading up to last season we were probably at max revenue, so the only place to go is down...Where as Orlando and Denvers wins are increasing, as will their revenue.