To Tank, or not To TanK

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Dec 11, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

His screen setting, passing, smart cuts, and offense rebounding make up for his otherwise total lack of offensive skills. And on D, he's a great on-man defender, a spectacular help defender, one of the best rebounders, and he does it all while rarely fouling.

So yeah, he won't be replaced anytime soon. And these things are so core to winning basketball that we might end up with fool's gold with our next high priced center. Somebody like Amare who puts up great offensive stats, but who doesn't do all the Ben Wallace things that everyone took for granted.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Ben is a center, JJ is a forward, if you want JJ to have a really short career ask him to play center in this league. Remember when Ben used to defend Shaq, ALONE, one-on-one, and take that bruisng punishment in a 7 game series......JJ????? Are you serious, DelfinoDelivers you cool and everything - but man I swear, sometimes your thinking is...............
  3. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

We aren't tanking, so no. I don't ever want to hear my team discussing that. It sickens me.

Besides, if we keep this solid run up, I think this is a team that can sell tickets. Last year was the year when people got pushed away by the chaos, and this is a year we can win them back by putting together a scrappy team that doesn't quit.

Yea ticket sales are down at the moment, but we are gaining momentum, and I can see us gaining them back.

I think quite a few of us thought the team was better than last years (I did in preseason, though I was on Jerebkos jock then, so I got lucky because thus far he has performed and had a chance to), but I don't think your casual fan thinks so.

If you read the papers and sports sites, all you heard about was how bad we were going to be, and how this was a rebuilding year, and we couldn't compete.

I think that is definitely untrue.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As I mentioned yesterday, the so called tanking should only come into play in March when it is apparent that making the playoffs might result in an another first round sweep/exit and the draft pickens around the 15 or 16th spot might be slim.

For the moment the goal should be to play the guys who are getting it done and shoot for the best that you can do which is make the playoffs with hopes for a 4 or 5 seed even though no one in the NBA circles, fans, experts or players believe its possible.

We keep thread open and revisit it month to month and when it is apparent how we are doing regarding chemistry, injuries and W-L record mid - March, then we add a poll to the thread to tank or not...

Remember back in the good old days when folks would say "these are meaningless games in April and we inadvertently tank a game by resting key players?? Sometime whatever momentum we had was killed and we would up playing to many games in the first and second round trying to get that mojo back and wound up losing in game 6 of the ECF....Ok I went in a different direction.....here
  5. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

:pound::pound::pound:
  6. Nemo

At first, I thought this was a thread about our build up of troops in the middle east.
  7. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

By tanking, I would look worried from JD's perspective.

It would mean a continuance of past years: looking at small victories so as to fluff up the chest of a ribbon-chested General.

In the great State of Michigan, you have real unemployment of 25% and climbing. Mortgages hitting the dead-end wall of forthcoming balloon payments and GM is now thinking about engineering (CEO) as a strength...duh.

If I'm the new owners, I would not like the mixture of the aforementioned and loin-clothed Ted Nugent with bow and arrow in hand thinking he is another Genghis Khan reborn as Piston advantage.

I'm just waiting for JD to let those arrows hit that big chest.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Couldn't find the origin of the slang, decline in performance verb tank, but here is the origin of the armed vehicle noun tank:

"Invented by Colonel Ernest Swinton in 1914 and first used in the late stages of the Battle of the Somme in 1916, this vehicle was initially a secret weapon; a codename had to be found for it that would mislead any spy, especially when it was being moved through France. From a list of possible codenames that included 'reservoir' and 'cistern', tank was chosen and has remained. The original intention was to give the impression that it was a bulk water-carrier."

It's a tankless job, but somebody's gotta' do it.

Curious Word Origins (T-U-V)
  9. max

max All-Star

There are some teams who get decent lottery picks year after year and make little progress. It's not worth it unless you are going to get a top 3 pick - and that's not guaranteed even if you have the worst record in the league. We could tank the season and end up with another Austin Day type player. Is there really much difference between #12 and #15 in the draft?

Making the playoffs, even with a 1st round exit, would be invaluable experience for the young guys and send out the right message to the league. It would help us attract FA's and make the players that we do have look a heck of a lot better for any possible trades.

Dumars rebuilt the last time starting with 2 lotto picks ( #9 and #14 ) and threw them both away. Those guys did not work out but the trades and key signings after that did. We never would have gotten CB without the overachieving in the early days.

Build a positive culture and things will work out.
  10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Amen.... now thats the kool aid i'm drinking
  11. Nemo

Tanking is a bad plan this early in the season. The best time to weigh all the variables: draft potential, current development, locker room chemistry, ect. should be in March like LaDre suggests. Even top picks in the draft like [STRIKE]DARKO[/STRIKE] can go south quickly.
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think we're one good PG and a good big away from competing. That means tanking or hoping for a GM that's even worse than JoeD. But I have no interest in throwing away seasons; I am a fan that wants the team to try the best to win games and get to the highest level possible. Tanking is the bad outcome of the "let's give the bad teams an opportunity to improve" and there have to be other ways to make the team competitive again.
  13. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

So, you mean Joe should trade Charlie V?
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons best chance for "tanking" or whatever you want to call it might be for them to have their full team available.

I don't think DET would win a lot of the games that they have recently if Tay was getting the majority of Jerebko's burn. I don't mean that as a knock on Tay, but JJ offensive rebounding has been huge in these games.
  15. max

max All-Star

Hard to argue that point. And could be why Tay is making a point to be at every game still trying to be a part of the team.

I will point out though that in the last game Carmello had his best game ever against the Pistons. Prior to that his number were way down in every category against the Pistons. It was also the 1st game in which Carmello played the Pistons where we did not have Prince.

Prince is still very valuable. Personally, I would not be opposed to trading both Rip and Gordon for a quality PG and some kind of half way decent center. I think we would be set then. Then Dumars could find a 3-pt bomber type guy in the draft. You can get those guys late.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

And then we can trade those mistakes and get more Stuckeys.
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Depends on when the injured guys get back. It will be hard to hold this up for long. Tanking would mean getting a live, young big as a top 10 pick.

BUT: if the team gets some of its guys back, easy to project them into
    the playoffs in a weak league this year. Look at how many teams are in trouble. Hard year to tank if you wanted too.

Here's what is encouraging. In a rebuilding year, the Pistons already project out to be a better team than many in the pack. Amazing if true. Last year's draft, plus getting Gordon and CV on the relative cheap, and the development (I hope?) of Stuckey, who is not a top ten pick by the way, has opened the door. Keep in mind, Joe is going against gravity by trying to rebuild on the fly. Teams usually rebuild by getting very bad first.

I think Gordon, CV, Stuckey and the rookies are here to stay. Joe put in a big word for Bynum although I don't see how he fits long term with the other two guards. And that leaves some good trade pieces.

Obviously, either Tay or Rip or both will be moved. Joe is trying to build a team that will last at least 5 years meaning youth is a consideration.

The greatest need is for a key big and a mobile big body at center. Ben is here for a year or two. I would like a guy like Marc Gasol at center. Young, mobile enough, skilled enough already and relatively cheap. Then, get a scorer like Boozer or Bosh, etc. If Daye and or JJ are for real, the team will be loaded in two years.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The surprise factor is due to the coach this year vs. the coach last year.
  19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

If you're a Ret Pally it's not a good idea...that's all I'm going to say about that.....
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Je ne comprende pas.