To Tank, or not To TanK

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Dec 11, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The problem is, we're in purgatory. It's hard to get better through the draft or free agency if we stay locked on the current course.

The fact we have developed no youth, is because we spent 6 years trying to win games by overplaying and overpaying our starters.

We got very lucky in 04 when 1) the east was relatively weak, 2) we stole LB from the Sixers and 3) we landed Rasheed for almost nothing (spare parts) and got Lindsey back through a CBA loophole now closed.

That's not the sort of circumstances which can be easily replicated.

This thread is an opportunity to discuss the ways to get better. Whether you like tanking or not, it is a viable option, and I don't hear too many other options.

Btw, I don't think we should throw games, I definitely think we should hold a firesale and move some of these big contracts to free up cap space and minutes to complete the overhaul that started with the Billups trade.

2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Tayshawn, yes, the coach seems like he knows what he is doing.

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Hey Micro, yes it will be hard to repeat the past model. But I am surprised Joe has some pieces in place to make a run at it.

The Pistons have had only one top ten pick in recent memory. Darko. So basically none in the wash.

It is amazing that the team could get back next year-- with a little more luck-- to being a good team after that historic run without a top ten pick. Of course the rub is that Stuckey and maybe Daye (??) might really have been top ten picks in the rough. And Gordon and CV were top ten picks from other teams. But a lot of this has to go right yet.

If the Pistons do go down this year, it won't be the worst thing to get a high pick and get a big. Right now, I would bet that the Pistons get their guys back and have a decent year which would be almost unprecedented. Even the Lakers were bad the year after Shaq left and they had Kobe.

Has any top team made it there without drafting a top ten pick besides the Pistons???

5. roscoe36

Joe had an advantage in free agency with lots of short, low rent deals, in an era where the cap was climbing year over year during the phony economic boom.

Now that the cap is falling, and he is caught with some burdensome deals (Rip, Maxiell, Tay depending on how you evaluate contract length), his free agency voodoo is not as strong as it once was.

Add to the fact that we don't have a surplus of journeymen and picks to trade, and our strengths are almost exclusively at the positions that are easiest to fill (forward and shooting guard), things aren't so bright on this course.

I am sure many will agree, the biggest move Joe has made since firing LB, was re-signing Ben this year. We'd be in miserable shape without his DPOY effort on a league minimum contract.

When your most valuable player, night in and night out is a 35 year old, under-sized center with no jumpshot and on a one year contract, it is defcon 4.

6. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

LMAO

I'm agree.. too early to think about this.

hey.. did you saw the block from Delfino to DeRozan the other night??

:eek:

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I'm sure there are some WoW nerds on this forum. I can't believe I didn't get any bites. :(

8. SJAndre

SJAndre Second Round Draft Pick

I don't see how Ben playing phenomenal has anything to do with our team. He was a 27 year old with no jumpshot before and he was still the best player on our team.

We are 10-12 with some of our best players missing significant time. No one can tell me we can't easily get the 5th seed in the east and possibly defeated Atlanta/Miama in the first round. Since Ben is playing so well we should just waste his DPOY effort by forfeiting the season? That makes a lot of sense. If we are under 500 after 60 games than sure think about it, but Tanking shouldn't be something you do when you have a playoff team, but you jut don't think you are at the top tier of the league. If that was the case, what the hell would be the point when 75% of the teams in the league are tanking.

9. max

max All-Star

No it's not defcon 4. CV and JJ will be good players.

Have you guys noticed what Stuckey has been doing of late?

He has increased his stats to 18.8 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 4.4 APG and that FG has climbed up to .411

So what if he is not a PG. Make room for him at SG.

10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I refrain from commenting for showing my nerd side.....

but i play a holy not ret pally

11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

You know what I mean then Mister Holy Light...don't ya? Don't Ya? :)

12. roscoe36

Ya know, I spend all day thinking I am a nerd, then I come onto PF.com with it's inside WoW jokes and realize I am actually a jock.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We're better than we realize right now.
    1. Stuckey is looking like a bonafied 22-25ppg scorer as a 2-Guard.
    2. Charlie is looking like a legit 16-20ppg scorer, off the bench.
    3. bengo is a PROVEN 18-20ppg scorer off the bench.
    4. I believe that in 2 years Austin Daye will avg somewhere between 15-17ppg as our starting SF.
    5. JJ is going to be one of those solid players that every team needs to be a legitimate contender.
    When Tay comes back I envision our starting lineup as such:
    PG-???
    SG-Stuck
    SF-Tay
    PF-JJ
    C- Ben
    That's a very good defensive unit as a starting lineup, all we're missing is a decent PG. Now couple that with a bench that features bengo, Bynum, Daye and CV. I'm telling you these injuries have made us super deep and versatile. Once Austin Daye really begins to contribute on a consistent basis- WATCH OUT!!!!

Right now a bunch of teams are going to have cap space next summer, someone is going to be very disappointed, we'll be able to unload Rip, Tay and Max on of those teams that freed up a bunch of cap space and struck out in free agency. Next season one of our players will be playing for either the Knicks or the Nets.

In short, we are in a very favorable position now and to move forward, I like what we have and where we're going...........all that said I still want to see Baron in a Pistons uniform.

14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

we saw at the last year how some players tank'd. Did you like it?

Roscoe, we all here aware of the fact that for ch'ship team GM has to discover " a vein of gold". For Pistons it was Good Sheed, for Spurs it was Duncan, for Lakers it was Gasol.

15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Technically we didn't make it there without a top ten pick, either. [​IMG]
    I googled it and wondered if that's what you meant. After spending 30 seconds on a World of Warcraft forum, I feel better about the amount of time I spend on the Internet. :pound:

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Solid...

If you can snag Kaman with BD's contract I'm ok with this.

Man 2 Man... It may be time to forget about lotto and just roll with what's happenin' today... this could be messed up in the long run but the fellas are lookin' like they really wanna compete... hard to argue with this... damn did i say that!?!

17. roscoe36

Merc, someone baking cornbread at your house? :D

18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I agree with you guys that the Pistons may actually be in better shape than most teams going forward but beware about Kaman and Davis or any ex-Clipper for that matter. Kaman doesn't show up well against better teams. Howard had his way the other night with him. And Davis has been a big disappointment.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Aw you spoiled my party... next time invites only :^)
    Howard?... yeah he's an elite 3 at the 5.
    Kaman should expect a spanking... but we ain't getting a top three center.

Roscoe, how bout a nice cornbread recipe?.. could cure our gate receipts...
    Here we go Pistons... here we go!

20. max

max All-Star

Very true. We are a heck of a lot closer than most think. Just a half way decent PG and another big away. There has to be some over paid PG out there who we can trade one of our over paid SG's for.