To Zone or Not to Zone?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jammertime, Nov 12, 2005.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know its still early, but I haven't been impressed with the Pistons playing zone D.

It feels gimmicky, like something an inferior team would employ. And the results haven't been terribly impressive so far.

The one plus I can see coming from it, is that it will make our man to man D look that much more impressive to close out games. Our man came become a bit of an Ace in the hole so to speak.

Very similar to having a fast ball pitcher following a knuckle ball pitcher in baseball. The fastball looks even faster coming after all of the off speed stuff.

The zone could be our lull them to sleep, keep them off balance D and then we over power them with our man to man in crunch time when we need some key stops.

How do you guys feel about the zone so far?
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

It sucks

They ran it against PHX who can shoot the rock from the outside. In fact, that's ALL they do. Why use the zone against them? Use it against the in-the-paint teams, right? But the Wallaces are so proficient inside, why use it at all? It might be a way to get them some rest, but it looks like a right-foot shoe shoved on a left foot. It doesn't fit with Detroit.
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

absolutely. couldn't agree with you more.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The zone looked like a joke in the PHX game but as mentioned, the Suns are such a unique team.

I've heard the argument that zone will make some of our less skilled defenders better. I don't buy it. In my opinion, it reduces the effectiveness of our incredible man defenders.
  5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw them use it against PHX. What are you doing? That is what I sad out loud watching PHX fire up open jump shots. That was like giving candy to a baby. I was getting concerned when PHX had like 34 points in the first quarter. That is not Detroit Pistons Basketball. I understand that we want to adapt the teaam more so that we can hang with anybody sort of like what the Spurs do but come on don't make it easy for a team to put up points.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i like the zone when not used too much, but when its used to throw the other team off track now and then especially if the other team is cuttiong to the paint well. zone many times forces teams to shoot outside, it will be incredibly tough for teams to get inside against us because we got the wallaces.
  7. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I like the zone for a few plays to switch it up, exactly as already said: Like a changeup to fast ball. If a team settles for a zone then switches to man, the other team could be caught relaxing and give up some TOs.
  8. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Couple of thoughts on the zone. First, just don't. As others have noted, it is a gimmick to cover for weak defensive players - about the only thing I can consistently find to agree with Bill Walton about - but as Rip has improved, I am not sure we suffer a weak link anymore. Worse, our guys almost look embarassed when they do it, kind of like a bunch of sheepish 20 year olds trying to get into a strip club.

The other argument about using it when there are bad matchups does apply to almost every team, except ours. I think we have the depth to adjust to those matchup issues without resorting to a zone.

One of the worst things about the zone is the effect of losing responsibility, something this team is built upon. Of course my thinking changes in an instant if somehow Wally Z ends up on the floor for Flip again.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Zone

Not all zones are pack-everyone-in-the-middle type zones. The Pistons were using Ben at the point. If the Pistons use an aggressive, trapping type zone, I think it could cause some teams problems at times. Plus, Saunders makes a good point that when the Pistons work on their zone defense in practice, it gives the team a chance to practice their offense against a zone. Many times over the last couple of years Detroit has looked confused against a zone.
  10. Mr. Pistons

Mr. Pistons Second Round Draft Pick

They should have it in the arsenal, but it's really not something we should try to use as a staple IMO. 1-2 a game to keep the other team on their toes.

We've got too many good man defenders.

Here's a question though. Does it seem like in the first game teams have been penetrating the paint on us like we as fans aren't used to seeing out of the Pistons? There's been a lot of plays that in years past that would have been sent back by Ben/Sheed/Tay. Can we contribute this to Flip schemes, or do you guys think we just need to get our defensive legs back under us?