Today is the 5th anniversary

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Dre, Jun 15, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Let's remember, the Pistons were a mostly .500 ball club until they got Rasheed in like Feb 2004. That is when they went into high gear winning lots of games.

In 2004/5, they matched the previous season's record, despite getting the benefits of champ whistles, insane home court etc. They took a lot of games off, and played down to the competition. It became all about the playoffs. Then they barely beat the Heat, and the writing was on the wall.

In 05/06, it became all about the regular season, as they were convinced they lost to the Spurs due to home court (read: officiating) and the excuses were on. Cue fantastic regular season, and absolute beat down ECF to the Heat who simply out muscled and out hustled them.

The reality of the Dumars Pistons is that it was a squad that played its best ball for about 4 months, and created a 6 year legacy.

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That 'nick should have been trade-marked 5 years ago.
    I'm LOLing right now three six!

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The writing that the Heat were about to win the title? :)

You do raise a fair point about the matching records though, I'd never thought about it in that light.

4. roscoe36

Well, I am a genius.

5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Not disagreeing with you, but I think there was a bigger difference the following year, from the 04-05 Pistons to the 05-06 Pistons, then there was in their two finals teams.

6. roscoe36

The damage was already done.

It's human nature to regard the explosive manifestations of symptoms as the problem, rather than the source of infection as the problem. Until Joe addresses the latter, we will continue to exhibit chronic sickness.

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good points all around .... more posts and points 6 years later than 5 years, which means we can finally shake the stigma of how great we and they thought they were... While the lake show can get back to the finals three years in a row with the zen master and Mitch Cupkape, we have struggled with Joe and an assortment of coaches who overworked the starters or who didn't recognize the potential of Joe's draftees...

8. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Wasn't the fact that after the 'ship and almost getting them back-to-back one of the reasons their heads got larger than floats at the Macy's parade? Once they got cocky and expectd to just will their way through it they were done. Once LeBron dropped bombs on them all by himself they were demoralized and didn't want to "go to work" any longer.

They were awesome and its a shame they didn't ride that nothing to lose, goin' to work attitude to more championships. I feel lucky to have experienced what we did but its kinda bitter-sweet looking back. Maybe the bitter-sweet part lies with the way the team was broken up. Anyway, looking back I had a blast rooting for that team!

9. max

max All-Star

This thread hits the 3pointer with me.

10. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

lol!!

Man.. I miss Chauncey.. that Prince.. That Rip.. and Larry Brown..

11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Iam watching all 11 parts JUST so I can hear Micheals and Doc.... I was just thinking how brutal listening to StuScott,Breem,Jackson and VanGundy. Tuuuurible,just tuuurrible!

12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Also, you all have to realize when you play 20 games a year more than anyone else for FIVE STRAIGHT years, you ar going to break down. Especially when you depend on 5 players as much as FlipFlop did. If we would have been able to keep James, Okur and Nasty, we'd have 3 more titles by now!!

13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

It's also how AMAZING how 'bee-uzzzed' I was watching this game. Not high or drunk, just euphoric! My BP had to be 180/110!!!! I hardly remember a thing! LOL

14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

watched Part 7, at the 7:45 mark on and the backtoback 5 pt play by Wallace and Billups! WOW!!

15. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We will see those days again grasshoppers, only a matter of time. I will trust the process.

16. max

max All-Star

Yes I think that's the biggest reason for one and done. When you lose your bench like that, the guys they were bringing in after 04 to replace them were just not making it - Flip Murray, etc...

17. LA Dre

yeah even Mike James admitted earlier this year in an interview that he should have not asked for the big payday and stuck around to help get another ring.

Also we could have used McNasty in 05-06 when he was wasting away in Sacramento and were being wasted by Wade, Shaq and Haslem:yellowprison:

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'll be happy that it happened...not sad that it ended. I really think that was the best playoff run in this decade. I think if the Celtics would have beat LA (thank god they didn't I hate everyone on that team except Sheed, Nate, and Doc) then theirs would have been the best.

You can watch Game 5, the clinching game, on youtube. I watched it a while back and it was amazing. We drove inside everytime! Good times.

19. LA Dre

Re: Today is the 7th anniversary

Since we are in the still in disarray here trying find a new coach and the next Piston savior, lets reminisce one more time on what occurred seven years ago today.

First of all I was not a member of AARP yet, but joined later that year.

It was a slow news day, but something spectacular happen that folks talked about for at least the next 4 years

June 15, 2004
    YouTube - ‪2004 NBA Finals Gm 5 Los Angeles @ Detroit Part 11/11‬‏

20. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

This is sad (for me) to be reflecting like this. We need to make some new memories for comparison...besides Rodney Stuckey...