Today's Piston Pieces 7/12/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jul 12, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Daye, Summers lead Pistons to summer-league win
    Vince Ellis - Freep

"Daye played the entire 40 minutes (summer-league rules) Saturday afternoon, scoring 19 points and grabbing eight rebounds as the Pistons beat the Toronto Raptors, 91-87.

He displayed the potential that prompted the Pistons to use the 15th pick of the first round in June’s NBA draft on the skinny, 6-foot-11 forward from Gonzaga.

“I just wanted to see what he had,” Walker said. “Sometimes it’s hard to get in the flow if you only play 15, 17 minutes."

Daye, Summers lead Pistons to summer-league win | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Piston Deron Washington improves by leaps, bounds
    Vince Ellis - Freep

"Midway through the third quarter of the first game of the summer league Friday against Sacramento, point guard Andre Owens took a shot that was slightly off.

Washington, a 6-foot-7 swingman, flew over the other earthbound players to flush the dunk and draw gasps from the crowd at the Cox Pavilion on the campus at Nevada-Las Vegas.

While Washington managed only five points on 2-for-9 shooting in 24 minutes, the Pistons were impressed by their 2008 second-round draft pick during practices last week."

Piston Deron Washington improves by leaps, bounds | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Saturday Summer League Roundup
    ESPN - True Hoop - Kevin Arnovitz

"Austin Daye has been playmaker extraordinaire for Detroit. On the Pistons' first possession Saturday, he whipped a sharp pass from the perimeter to Trent Plaisted underneath for an easy two. On his team's second sequence, he took his man straight off the dribble to the rack for a layup. A minute later, on a pop-out, Daye nailed a silky 3-pointer. A few possessions later, he flew in from the weak side for an offensive rebound and a vicious putback slam. And that was only the first eight minutes."

Saturday Summer League Roundup - TrueHoop By Henry Abbott - ESPN

Summer League Buzz
    Ken Berger - CBS Sports

"LAS VEGAS -- Joe Dumars sat inconspicuously in the stands Saturday at the COX Pavilion on the UNLV campus. I didn't see him smile, but inside, he must've been.

Day 2 of the Vegas Summer League brought another impressive performance from the Pistons' draft picks, Austin Daye and DaJuan Summers. The lanky Daye -- the first-round pick who is Channing Frye without the robotic post moves and Tayshaun Prince with more offensive skills -- had 19 points on 8-for-14 shooting with eight rebounds in a 91-87 victory over the Raptors. Summers, a second-round pick, had 19 points on 7-for-17 shooting with six rebounds.

The promising forwards give the Pistons some hope that their transition from the Chauncey Billups era into an era of the unknown might not be as rocky as some have predicted. "

Summer League Buzz (UPDATE) - CBSSports.com

NBA Summer League Day Two Recap - The Breakouts
    SB Nation - Pounding The Rock - AustechSpur

"The Pistons squad rolled on again with a 91-87 victory and Joe Dumars has to be thrilled. His three 2009 draft picks were again solid and his second rounder from last year proved to be the best athlete playing today. In the second half, it seemed like the guys all gelled and things got easy for them. The best evidence I can present is that they only 7 turnovers for the game with only 1 in the fourth quarter. "

NBA Summer League Day Two Recap - The%Breakouts - Pounding The Rock

Summers Making Pistons Look Good
    The Fanhouse - Gary Washburn

"LAS VEGAS -- After watching DaJuan Summers, who curiously fell to 35th in last month's NBA Draft, score 24 points with seven rebounds in 33 minutes in a Summer League win over Sacramento, assistant coach Darrell Walker made a declaration.

"Summers is a player and I don't know how he goes 35 in the draft," Walker said after Detroit's 86-77 win Friday at Cox Pavilion. "Things happen in the NBA Draft. I ain't crazy, I understand that but he's a legitimate NBA player. And I think he's going to get some legitimate minutes."

Summers Making Pistons Look Good -- NBA FanHouse

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nice finds G-Man

Once these kids get to camp the level of physicality will change... It's likely that Summers will maintain his solid play (at SF but not against JMax)... Daye most likely will find more resistance trying to achieve position.
    IMO Jerebko is Euro bound unless we have to use him as our last min roster spot.

How many keystrokes were wasted on Sharpe during last year's SL?

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

The big knock on Daye is his tiny frame, but I'm willing to give the kid a chance. I watched Durant's first season here in Seattle, and he looked thinner than Tayshaun. But, the kid has great offensive skills and great length. So does Daye. I doubt he will be able to stop anyone, but as a backup SF, he may be able to light it up off the bench.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Where would Daye have gone in the draft if we didn't select him? Could we have traded down and still ended up with him?