Today's Piston Pieces 7/17/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jul 17, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Jonas Jerebko happy to be a Piston
    George Sipple - Freep

"Jerebko, a 6-foot-10 forward from Sweden drafted in the second round, talked about coming to Detroit and what he plans to do with his first NBA contract in a chat with Interbasket.net.

“I will not start buying crazy stuff,” Jerebko said. “I will keep living my life and having a good time just like I am doing right now. Other than basketball, I like to hang out with friends and family, watching movies, Internet and just (enjoying) myself.”

Jonas Jerebko happy to be a Piston | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Former Piston Amir Johnson looks to turn potential into production with Bucks - Sherrod Blakely - MLive

"Milwaukee general manager John Hammond spent seven seasons as Joe Dumars' right-hand man in Detroit, having input on several personnel moves, including the drafting of Johnson.

"He (Hammond) was the one who helped me get through my seasons in Detroit when he was there," Johnson said. "He was constantly talking to me, getting me on point. I think he's really helped me with my NBA career."

Hammond's faith in Johnson, as well as Johnson's expiring contract that comes off the books next summer, factored heavily in his decision to pursue the 6-foot-9 forward.

"Amir has a tremendous, tremendous amount of potential," Hammond said. "You see that potential every time he plays. But he's at a point where he has to do what he does best more consistently. I think he understands how important it is for him to be more productive, and he'll have opportunities to be just that this season."

Former Piston Amir Johnson looks to turn potential into production with Bucks - Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

Detroit Pistons: Which Big Man Would Be The Best Fit?
    Alex Calles - Bleacher Report

"Drew Gooden, who played for San Antonio last season, has been mentioned as a possibility to join the Pistons. Gooden, 27, averaged 11.9 points per game, 7.1 rebounds per game, and 0.4 blocks per game last season and makes around $1.4 million per year.

Chris Wilcox, who played for the Knicks and Thunder last season, has also been mentioned as a possibility. If the Pistons want Wilcox, they'd probably have to sign him to the mid-level exemption because Detroit cannot pay him more than the estimated $3 million he'll make this season. Wilcox averaged 7.2 points per game, 4.5 rebounds per game, and 0.3 blocks per game.

Leon Powe, who played for the Celtics last season, hasn't been mentioned as a possibility, but he should be. Powe, 25, averaged 7.7 points per game, 4.9 rebounds per game, and makes under $1 million. The only concern about Powe is that he's coming off surgery on a torn ACL."

Detroit Pistons: Which Big Man Would Be The Best Fit? | Bleacher Report

Which Recent Piston Will You Enjoy Watching Most In Different Colors in 09?- Toasterhands - LifeOnDumars

"Wallace in Boston?"

"To me this signing definitely still makes watching the Celtics entertaining, but not necessarily a whole lot better, especially if both Powe and Big Baby depart. If they can retain Big Baby they will be fine, provided Rasheed is ok with Kendrick Perkins starting. Because at this point in time Perkins is the better player and while I understand that not always does the best player start I also recognize that Perkins is well suited to continue being the starting center. If Doc Rivers tinkers with that, well, Doc is a buffoon then– TBD.

Knowing Rasheed’s personality fairly well (I’d like to think I know anyway) I assume he will be motivated for at least one more season. His petering out this past season (understatement) is still fresh in my mind, so I’m feeling I should be drawn to the common sense that tells me he’s just too old and not very good anymore. But common sense also reminds me that Sheed was probably smart enough to realize that Detroit wasn’t going anywhere last season anyways, so why bother to give a poop. Of course that line of thinking might have cost Sheed some $$ on his new deal. Whatever. I’m certain he can still get hot behind the long line and affect some games that way."

Which Recent Piston Will You Enjoy Watching the Most in Different Colors in 09? | Life On Dumars | A Detroit Pistons Blog

Big Baby Out of USA Camp
    Celtics Blog - Marc J. Spears - Boston.com

"Celtics forward Glen Davis will not be participating in USA Basketball senior national team's mini-camp of young prospects next week because he is still a free agent and playing could put his situation at risk, according to his agent John Hamilton today. The restricted free agent seems to getting interest from Boston, Detroit, Utah and Portland, but no offer has been made. Sources say Portland's Brandon Roy, New York's David Lee, the Lakers' Andrew Bynum and New Orleans' David West will also miss the camp from July 22-25 in Los Vegas."

Big Baby out of USA camp - Celtics Blog - Boston.com
  2. G-man

G-man Starter

It all comes together for 3 Pistons rookies
    True Blue Pistons - Keith Langlois

"Daye is very impressive with the ball. He has a lightning release on his jump shot and is going to be a weapon coming around screens where he can catch and shoot. I swear, on one such catch-and-shoot attempt in Vegas, I had a Reggie Miller flashback. He’s gone end to end once or twice a game in Las Vegas and made the right decision when he arrived. Perhaps most surprisingly, he’s shown the ability to rebound, averaging 10.7 a game over his last three after grabbing just two in the opener.

Summers’ versatility is going to give John Kuester a rare tool: a player comfortable playing on the perimeter offensively yet stout enough to defend all but the most skilled post scorers among power forwards. His shooting stroke is already better than good. It might take him a year or two to become a 3-point threat, but he’s already a very solid shooter at 20 feet. He can make plays off the dribble. I don’t think you want to throw him on Paul Pierce or LeBron James just yet, but it looks like Summers will be able to hold his own against backup small forwards defensively already.

Jerebko on one level is a typical European big man in that he’s completely at ease handling the ball and facing the basket. But where he’s raising eyebrows in Las Vegas is for his thirst for contact and his ability to finish in traffic. He’s on his way to being a clever scorer with either hand and has even flashed a hook shot that could make him a back-to-the-basket scoring threat. In separate conversations, assistant coaches Darrell Walker and Pat Sullivan compared his game and level of athleticism to David Lee.

I sat with Joe Dumars before Monday night’s game and told him that you hear general managers all the time, whatever the sport, talk about their good fortune in the immediate aftermath of a draft because they couldn’t believe so-and-so was available to them where he was drafted.
    Joe D told me he can’t remember the last time he said that."

PISTONS: True Blue Pistons
  3. G-man

G-man Starter

Pistons Mailbag Keith Langlois - NBA.com

"Kevin (Farmington Hills, Mich.): If the Pistons trade Rip for Boozer and do not re-sign Boozer next year, how much cap space would his loss create for 2010?

Langlois: Not much, Kevin. And that’s a really good question. I heard the co-hosts of a talk show on the Pistons’ own flagship station talking about this the other day and it reminded me again how little understood the cap really is. One of the hosts was suggesting the Pistons should do that trade for the expiring contract and how it would put them in position to sign a really good free agent next summer. (Never mind that any trade Utah executes for Boozer has to accomplish one thing primarily: saving Utah money so it can avoid heavy luxury taxes, and trading Rip for Boozer doesn’t save the Jazz nearly as much as they’d desire.) Here’s the deal. Trading Rip for Boozer takes the Pistons right to the cap – this year’s cap. The NBA is warning teams that next year the cap is certain to come down with estimates saying anywhere from $5 million to $10 million. Let’s split the difference and say next year’s cap is somewhere around $52 million. Now factor in the automatic raises due for players like Prince, Stuckey, Gordon, Villanueva and the rookies and add another $5 million to next year’s payroll because of them. Take Boozer’s $13 million off the books and it would still leave the Pistons at about $50 million. That means it’s very likely the Pistons would be under the cap by less than the mid-level exception – and, in that case, teams are considered OVER the cap, and can use the MLE, unless they chose not to. So, bottom line, if the cap comes down as it is expected to, the Pistons would not be players in free agency next summer by trading for Boozer and seeing him depart as a free agent."

PISTONS: Pistons Mailbag
  4. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Did not think about this situation and sounds like really depressing news.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Having the full MLE could be a useful tool though as long as the tax limit is above that.
  6. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Yeah if the cap drops that much there may be a lot of teams who can't even spend the full MLE for fear of exceeding the luxury tax. The fabled summer of 2010 might turn out to be quite the dud.

Good info provided to fans by Keith but people like us who browse this forum and listen to the podcasts have had this info for weeks because Roscoe has been breaking it down for us. :good:
  7. G-man

G-man Starter

8. G-man

G-man Starter

DaJuan Summers on the Pistons and the Hoyas
    Washington Post - Dan Steinberg

"The situation you're walking into in Detroit where there is an opportunity for minutes, you still don't feel comfortable that you established yourself as a guy that's gonna be on this team come training camp?

Nah. I mean, I'm not telling you that just to gas you guys up. I mean, it's a lot of guys out here scoring points. The league I think has so many different things that come into play when you come to making a team. I'm not gonna be a guy that needs to score 20 a night for the Pistons this year. You know, so you've just got to keep playing, find your role and do that well.

Was there any point leading up to the draft or shortly before the draft or even while it was going on where you were sensing, maybe I'm not gonna be taken in the first round?

Yeah, when the draft started to go, the names started to go, I wasn't picked at 15, 16, I knew those two teams were looking for forwards, I was just like we'll see at 24 or 27. I didn't go there. My agent, he wasn't letting me know anything. I knew then. [But] It was all good.

Where'd you watch?

I watched at the ESPN Zone downtown [in Baltimore] with my family.

Was it kind of....

It's funny, because that's what I was thinking, I didn't want to be there and have everybody watching me and I'm just like ohhhhhh. But my family, they're so supportive man, so supportive. All my cousins, all my aunts and uncles, my mom, my sister, everybody was just there, they didn't care about second round. They called my name, the whole place erupted. It was good for me. It was good."

D.C. Sports Bog - DaJuan Summers on the Pistons and the Hoyas
  9. G-man

G-man Starter

What does the future hold for Pistons forward Jason Maxiell?
    Dave Ryan - Examiner.com

"Maxiell, a hard-working forward from the University of Cincinnati, was the underdog of the group. He was a tenacious player in his four years of college, despite having the size of small forward and the game of a center. Most scouts figured Maxiell could find a role somewhere due to his work ethic, but it was nearly unanimous that he wasn't NBA starting material. DraftExpress.com said this about Maxiell:
    "A 2nd round prospect at best. Will likely have to have a fantastic summer to find himself on an NBA roster.....It's my personal opinion that his game is better suited for Europe...."

So if you could go back in time, who would you have drafted here? Lee? Bass? Of course we know that Dumars ended up selecting Maxiell, but this just goes to show how important this pick would prove to be five years down the road. It's hard to believe three of these guys have found a high level of success in the league, while Simien, the most highly touted, actually retired from professional basketball this spring."

What does the future hold for Pistons forward Jason Maxiell?
  10. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Sounds like this guy is hungry. Just hope he works hard and shows it on the court.
  11. G-man

G-man Starter

Vegas: Kuester Brings Offense to Detroit
    Hoopsworld - Susan Bible

"You have to give Pistons General Manager Joe Dumars some credit for bringing fans the element of surprise in running his team.

Some were surprised by the firing of Rick Carlisle (who delivered two 50-win seasons), Larry Brown (who delivered a championship), Flip Saunders (who delivered an average of 59 wins per year), and of course most recently, last season's rookie coach Michael Curry, who was fired just days after the draft unfolded.

Surprising, since Dumars led us to believe in April that Curry would remain as coach next season.

The ultimate surprise was trading Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson last year. We're not even going there.

We were semi-surprised by the recent signings of free agents Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva. Both players committed to Detroit without knowing the identity of their new coach.

And last week, Dumars revealed the surprise hiring of John Kuester, making him the sixth Pistons head coach in the past ten years. Talk about an under-the-radar choice. "

HOOPSWORLD
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It seems to me that Summers is going to be a better than Brandon Bass (and Maxiel for that matter), for a whole lot cheaper.
  13. G-man

G-man Starter

Stuckey Speaks Out
    WXYZ

"As Detroit fans watched the team plummet into mediocracy, first-year Head Coach Michael Curry took a lot of the heat. This summer, Iverson was not re-signed and in Curry was fired.

Stuckey told Don Shane, "I think we were all surprised about it...it was his first year, you know?" He also said, "I thought he would get another chance."

Curry didn't. And now Joe Dumars has elected to bring in his second consecutive NBA assistant coach to take over the Pistons for their first respective NBA head job. John Kuester, a former Piston staffer who learned under Larry Brown, was hired last week. Stuckey remains positive that the team will succeed under the former Cleveland Cavaliers assistant. "We're all excited about the future and what he's gonna bring," Stuckey confidently stated."

Stuckey Speaks Out || WXYZ.com | WXYZ-TV / Detroit | Detroit News, Weather, Sports and More
  14. G-man

G-man Starter

Looking at Detroit's remaining options in free agency Examiner - Dave Ryan

"After trading away Arron Afflalo and Walter Sharpe to Denver in a salary dump, Detroit now has the extra cash to add another serviceable big man through free agency. It's been easier than ever to pile on general manager Joe Dumars as of late, but there's no logical reason to question this trade. Dumars is trying to do everything possible in his power to avoid playing Kwame Brown 28 minutes a game this season. We, as Pistons fans, need to thank him for this. Yes, Afflalo is a young talent, but is he really going to be a superstar in this league?

He's a nice perimeter defender who can hit a three every now and then. Big deal. Considering how versatile so many of the league's top players are becoming, Afflalo grades out as a one-dimensional shooting guard. Guys like that can be found for a decent price tag on the free agent market each summer."

Looking at Detroit's remaining options in free agency
  15. G-man

G-man Starter

NBA Offseason: Winners and Losers Part I
    Bleacher Report - VSN Writers

"Detroit Pistons: Sure they lost Rasheed Wallace on the open market, but it was time for a change in Detroit. It started with the Chauncey Billups trade during the '08-09 season, and Joe Dumars was right to begin breaking up the core.

Should Billups have been the first one to go? From a basketball standpoint, no. From a monetary and future consideration standpoint? Probably, yes.

So now 'Sheed's out of the picture, and in come Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva. These aren't the type of players we've been used to seeing in Detroit the past decade. Deeetroit Basketbaaaaaall (loudspeaker guy) has been about defense, slow tempo, and keeping the score close.

Well, it wasn't quite working last year; things basically slowed to a dead stop. In part because the team's core was aging, but mostly because the East became too strong with the Cavs, Celtics, and Magic. The Pistons, the way they were (Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Wallace) couldn't contend with the big boys anymore.

With that in mind, Dumars has decided to shoot for a more explosive offense. He's certainly heading in the right direction with Gordon and Villanueva. Gordon is one of the most dangerous volume scorers in the NBA, and Villanueva can really light it up for a 4-man. Will they defend?"

NBA Offseason: Winners and Losers Part I | Bleacher Report
  16. G-man

G-man Starter

Daye scores 20 as Pistons finish summer league 4-1 JAMES JAHNKE - FREE PRESS

"First-round pick Austin Daye scored 20 points, and second-rounder Jonas Jerebko added 19 as the Detroit Pistons[​IMG] beat Cleveland, 92-86, this afternoon in Las Vegas. It was the finale of the team's summer league, which it finished 4-1.

Daye also led the team with 10 rebounds. Free agent Jeremy Pargo[​IMG] added 13 points, and second-round pick DaJuan Summers and 2008 second-rounder Deron Washington chipped in 12 apiece."

NBA.com 2009 NBA Summer League Game Boxscore