Today's Piston Pieces 7/19/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jul 19, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

A look back at John Kuester's quest to become an NBA head coach
    Vince - Ellis - Freep

"Kuester still couldn't believe his good fortune Tuesday afternoon when he sat down with the Free Press to discuss the turn of events that led to his first NBA head coaching job.

From the sudden firing of first-year coach Michael Curry to flirtations with former NBA coaches Doug Collins and Avery Johnson[​IMG] to finally being named the Pistons' sixth head coach in 10 years on July 9, it had been a dizzying few days for Kuester.

Kuester is OK with possibly being president of basketball operations Joe Dumars' third choice; he's just grateful he's getting the opportunity he had started to believe would never come.

And unlike a lot of first-time head coaches, he landed at one of the rare places in the NBA accustomed to winning trophies. There are three in the Palace trophy case.

"Of all the opportunities, this would be a great fit for me personally, and it worked out," said Kuester, 54, of the franchise where he was on staff for the 2004 championship. "I'm pinching myself that I'm not coming to a situation where I don't know people, and I'm also coming into an environment where Detroit is one of the premier organizations in this league."

http://www.freep.com/article/200907...n-Kuester-s-quest-to-become-an-NBA-head-coach

Charlie Villanueva expects to tweet at halftime
    JAMES JAHNKE - FREE PRESS

"Last season, Charlie Villanueva got in trouble for updating his Twitter account during halftime of a game with Milwaukee. Naturally, SI.com asked the big forward what he'll do now that he's a Piston.

"I haven't talked to coach (John Kuester) about that," Villanueva said, laughing. "But (Pistons president) Joe Dumars is all for it. He gave me his blessing."

Hmmm. That doesn't sound like the Joe we know. But we'll see when the time comes, eh?"

http://www.freep.com/article/200907...n-Kuester-s-quest-to-become-an-NBA-head-coach

Pistons agree to deal with big man Chris Wilcox
    Vince Ellis - Freep

"the 6-foot-10 center/power forward has agreed to a two-year, $6 million deal with the Pistons.

When Wilcox comes to Detroit, he will likely battle with Kwame Brown[​IMG] for the starting center spot.

The Pistons were interested in restricted free agent Glen Davis, but the likelihood of the Celtics matching any offer the Pistons could muster apparently scared them off.

Drew Gooden, Rasho Nesterovic[​IMG] and others were also listed as possibilities but the athletic Wilcox is probably the most talented low-cost option on the market.

A first-round pick of the L.A. Clippers in 2002, Wilcox once averaged 13.5 points and 7.7 rebounds for the Sonics in the 2005-06 season."

Pistons hope John Kuester's patience pays off
    Sherrod Blakely - Mlive

"LAS VEGAS -- Detroit Pistons coach John Kuester is a man who knows what he wants.

And if necessary, he is willing to wait for it.

During his sophomore year at the University of North Carolina, Kuester said he saw a beautiful girl in the cafeteria and told his friends, "That's the girl I'm going to marry."

She had a boyfriend at the time, but they broke up six months later.
    Kuester began dating her shortly after.

Two children and 32 years and later, Tricia and John Kuester remain happily married.

So, as the Detroit Pistons enter an age of rebuilding, they will need a patient leader to help steer them through what's sure to be some tough times.

Kuester, the sixth coach hired by Joe Dumars since 2000, knows a thing or two about patience."

Pistons hope John Kuester's patience pays off - Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

Pistons reach deal with free agent Chris Wilcox
    Sherrod Blakely

"Because of his strength, size and athleticism, Wilcox will have a chance to be in the starting lineup. His stiffest competition will come from Kwame Brown, who remains Detroit's lone true center.

The Pistons are likely to add at least one more free agent big man to the roster. Signing Wilcox basically wiped out the remainder of Detroit's salary cap space. For them to add another player, Detroit will have to sign them to the veteran's minimum, which is $1.3 million.

Former Piston Ben Wallace, who recently reached a $10 million buyout with the Phoenix Suns, is among the most likely players Detroit will add to its roster. Other possibilities include Rasha Nesterovic and Drew Gooden."

Pistons reach deal with free agent Chris Wilcox - Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

Fits to a T Sahria Springer - Boston.com Wallace and Celtics make a good match

"ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. - Rasheed Wallace is fielding questions from his wife. “Is your attitude controllable enough to win a championship?’’ asks Fatima Wallace. She speaks for concerned Celtics fans who worry her husband’s temper and technical fouls could cost the team a title. Sprawled on an oversized couch at home, Rasheed answers, “We shall see.’’

That is not good enough for Fatima.

“Rasheed,’’ she says with a hint of impatience, “Do you think you can control your temper long enough, for eight months, to get that championship?’’

Rasheed sits up and tells the truth. He has no choice. Fatima knows him too well.

“There’s going to be nights where I say nothing and there’s going to be nights where I say a lot,’’ says Rasheed. “I might get a tech one night. I might not get a tech for a couple games. I can get three techs in a row.’’

Fatima fires back, “But can we win a championship with your techs?’’

Wallace fits Celtics to a T - The Boston Globe

The Summer Hoops Ticker...
    Greg Wrubell - KSL.com

"Trent Plaisted, meantime, faded to the finish in Vegas, coming off the bench in the Detroit Pistons' last two games, after starting the first three. I'm not sure how much patience the Pistons will have with a former second-round pick who has now appeared in two summer league stints, but Plaisted's numbers were simply not promising.

In five games, he played 57 minutes, and ended up with more fouls (16) than rebounds (14), and even more fouls than points (15). For a player at his position, he shot it terribly, making 5 of 16 shots (31%), and missing five of his final six shots from the field. He had as many turnovers as blocked shots--two apiece.
    It would appear that overseas basketball beckons for both players. Plaisted played a handful of games as a Pistons' assignee for a team in Italy last season before back troubles cut his year short. "

ksl.com - The Summer Hoops Ticker...

Pistons in the news, summer league ends, "Big" picture discussed
    Mike Payne - Detroit Bad Boys

"With the Pistons Summer League play officially over, the NBA doldrums have begun. Sure, DBB will still be abuzz with trade options, rumors and more questions than answers, but the sporting press is about to go quiet. So to keep our collective Pistons hunger satiated, I’ll chime in when I can with a good old Matt Watson-style Layup Drill post. What’s buzzing around in NBA news in the last 24 hours?"

Pistons in the News: Summer League Ends, “Big” Picture Discussed | Detroit Bad Boys

2. G-man

G-man Starter

Chris Wilcox to the Pistons - Fantasy View
    Stephen Kersey - EveryJoe.com

"The 26-year-old Wilcox has played with the Los Angeles Clippers, Oklahoma City Thunder and New York Knicks. His best season came with the Sonics in 2006-07 when he averaged 13.5 point, 7.7 rebounds and 31.5 minutes.

At 6-foot-10, Wilcox is an elite athlete who has the tools to score and rebound at a high rate. The problem is that his commitment and energy levels have always been questioned.

In the fantasy basketball world, Wilcox’s value will depend on his role. If the Pistons decide to go small, he could start in the middle next to Charlie Villanueva. However, the more likely route is for Wilcox to come off the bench."

Chris Wilcox to the Pistons - Fantasy View : Expert Fantasy - Fantasy Sports Advice - Fantasy Football Tips

Pistons Add Wilcox to Funky Frontcourt
    Tom Ziller - Fanhouse

"Teams biding their time don't spend money on Chris Wilcoxes. The former Sonic and Clipper hasn't changed for years. He does two things well: rebound and dunk. He tries to shoot jumpers, and he tries to defend, but ... well, it hasn't really worked out.

And that's OK for a backup power forward in today's NBA. Some of the best "third bigs" -- like Brandon Bass, for example -- can be counted on for a solid 15-footer and some decent defense. Others, like Leon Powe, bring unstoppable energy on the offensive boards and dunk the crap out of the ball when they get it around the time. Only few teams have the luxury of Lamar Odom (maybe) or Rasheed Wallace (depending on how Doc Rivers runs his rotation). So Wilcox is acceptable in this sense: almost no one else will be bringing All-Stars off the bench in the frontcourt. It doesn't happen."

Pistons Add Wilcox to Funky Frontcourt -- NBA FanHouse

Piston Powered - Truehoop - ESPN

"I have no idea how Wilcox’s contract is structured, but most player receive annual raises. If that’s the case, I’ll update the chart.
    If it’s $3 million each year, Detroit has $2,363,295 in cap room (including a $457,588 roster charge for not having 12 players).

If Wilcox will make more money in 2010-11, the Pistons have up to an extra $89,000 in cap room this year – hardly enough to make a difference.

I’m moderately enthused about the signing. Who else was Detroit going to get? Rasho Nesterovic?

Wilcox (6-foot-10, 221 pounds) spent more time at center than power forward with the Thunder and Knicks last season. But he was more productive at power forward. The Pistons will obviously have to use extensively him at center unless they make another move.

Wilcox is just 26 (although he’ll be 27 before the season starts). He still has plenty of time to improve.

I don’t expect him to be an All-Star, but his physical talent made him the eighth pick in the 2002 draft. With a little more polish, he could be a reliable starter."

PistonPowered » Blog Archive » Wojnarowski: Pistons close to signing Chris Wilcox

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe picked up 3 former top 10 picks so far this offseason.

The best thing about Rasheed Wallace, bar none, is Fatima Wallace.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I've always wondered where Rasheed would be if he hadn't married Fatima. :( :shout: :frusty: :mad: :loser: :icon_evil: :help2:

5. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Never really heard from his wife before. Sheed is a trip. The celtics will be on national television all the time, and we have to watch that punk KG and his stupid antics.

6. G-man

G-man Starter

Today's Boston piece on Sheed is a nice read..

When the smoke clears in another 5 years, I think we'll see all five guys that worked the floor in the 2004 series with their jerseys in the rafters.

I look forward to the night when they run Sheeds up the rigging..

(but I still despise the Celtics and all they stand for)

7. roscoe36

Fatima is pretty much the only thing that keeps Sheed from climbing into his spaceship and blasting off to planet Lovetron during games.

8. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am with you with the celtic hating. After the ship in 2004, I really believed that they would win another one or two. Oh well.

Thanks for all of the articles, really appreciate it.

9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, here is Joe's draft this summer:

Gordon (3rd)
    CHarlie V. (7th)
    Wilcox (8th)

Now, I like this kind of draft and Joe didn't use any ping pong balls!

10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

don't be surprised if this is Fatima who wears trousers in this family. :stirthepot:

11. roscoe36

She seems to be the one person Sheed consistently respects.

They have a cute story. I think I saw her on MTV cribs. She seems like a good lady.

12. G-man

G-man Starter

Last Day of the NBA Summer League Raises Question Marks for Former Zags - BuffZagg SB Nation

"The fun part about the Detroit Pistons summer league team was that Austin Daye was joined by Jeremy Pargo. Pargo played for the Orlando Magic in the Orlando summer league a few weeks ago but joined the Pistons in Vegas. Jeremy did a lot to improve his position in Las Vegas.

The former Gonzaga court general averaged 10 points a game in only 18 minutes per game. He shot 50% from the field and really impressed the Pistons fans and it isn't completely crazy to think that Jeremy could find a spot on their roster. The Pistons were auditioning guards for a third-string spot on the roster and many think it became a battle between Jeremy and former Virginia Cavalier Sean Singletary. They both had very similar stat lines for Detroit and I feel like Jeremy has more NBA ready size. You have to wonder if Detroit passes on Jeremy because they have a player kind of similar to him in Will Bynum. "

Last Day of the NBA Summer League Raises Question Marks for Former%Zags - The Slipper Still Fits