Today's Piston Pieces 7/22/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jul 22, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Former Piston Walter Sharpe traded again
    Detroit News Staff

"The Nuggets have agreed to trade forward Walter Sharpe, a week after acquiring him from the Pistons.

Sharpe and swingman Sonny Weems will go to the Bucks for forward Malik Allen later in the week, the Denver Post reported.

The Nuggets acquired Sharpe and Arron Afflalo from the Pistons last week in exchange for a future second-round draft pick and cash."

Report: Pistons turned down Davis-for-Maxiell trade
    JAMES JAHNKE - FREE PRESS

"Yahoo! Sports reports that Boston offered the Detroit Pistons power forward Glen (Big Baby) Davis and guards J.R. Giddens[​IMG] and Gabe Pruitt for forward Jason Maxiell and a first-round pick. The Pistons supposedly turned down the trade "quickly."

The report also states that the Pistons, Trail Blazers and Hornets have tried to work a sign-and-trade deal for Davis.

It's no secret that the Pistons were interested in Big Baby to fill out their frontcourt, but that window seems to have closed with Detroit's signing of Chris Wilcox[​IMG]."

Report: Pistons turned down Davis-for-Maxiell trade | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Hawks Courting Joe Smith?
    Sekou Smith - Atlanta Journal Constitution

"Who said the Hawks were done chasing big men this summer?

You didn’t hear it around these parts, at least not officially (from me).

Barring a last minute change of plans, veteran big man Joe Smith is scheduled to visit town on Wednesday, according to two of my best spies. And the Hawks are not out of the running for Ben Wallace, who has yet to agree to terms with Detroit (though, one of my best spies up north insists that it’s just a matter of time before Wallace returns to the Pistons)."

The Hawks are courting veteran big man Joe Smith | Hawks Blog

Pat Riley won't be bullied, Boozer-ed
    Ira Winderman - Sun Sentinel.com

"Pat Riley won't be dictated to. Dictators rarely are.

It is why the Allen Iverson chatter has faded. And it is why, in the wake of Carlos Boozer's recent round of lobbying, Riley released this statement:

"We listen to all inquiries, but there is nothing going on."

Understand, Riley rarely responds to speculation. He merely ignores it. Yet this time, he felt an 11-word response was warranted. Why? Because he won't be strong-armed. Boozer may well have overplayed his hand

For all of Boozer's lobbying to dictate the direction of his impending trade from the Jazz, including last week's comments on a Chicago radio station stressing his respect for the Bulls, he had an opportunity last month to become a free agent and put himself in position to dictate his next stop, instead of leaving himself at the trade whims of the Jazz.

Instead, he took the cash, but still wants to run things. Only he can't. The Jazz is dictating terms here. That could mean having to sing the praises of the East Rutherford swamps, because the Nets reportedly are interested."

Miami Heat | Sun-Sentinel Blogs: Pat Riley won't be bullied, Boozer-ed

Net gain? New Jersey interested in Davis
    Frank Dell'Apa - Boston Globe

"the Nets still have their midlevel exception available and are wading through a group a power forwards including Lamar Odom, Drew Gooden, and Davis.

The team also is interested in acquiring Carlos Boozer, whom the Jazz are trying to unload.

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said last week he wants Davis back and it’s believed he’d match any reasonable offer sheet Davis was tendered.

Other possible suitors for Davis include the Pistons, Hornets, and Trail Blazers."

Net gain? New Jersey interested in Davis - The Boston Globe

Detroit Pistons Draft History Since Joe Dumars Leaves a Lot To Be Desired - Matt Julian - Bleacher Report

Mehmet Okur, Tayshaun Prince, Jason Maxiell and Rodney Stuckey. What do they have in common?

They are the few notable players that have been drafted by the Pistons since Joe Dumars took over in 2000. The rest of them were lucky if they lasted a year.

Here's a review of players that the Pistons took, and a look at who they could have gotten instead. Starting in 2000, which I believe was Joe Dumars first year being with the Pistons.

Detroit Pistons Draft History Since Joe Dumars Leaves a Lot To Be Desired | Bleacher Report

Dr. Trade: One Deal, Three Fixes For The Pistons, Bobcats, & Clippers Bleacher Report

"The basic premise for this deal is that Joe Dumars wants/needs to continue and finish a total remake of the Detroit Pistons. Much of this comes from the fact that Rip Hamilton did not politely accept a bench spot last year, yet incoming free-agent Ben Gordon has supposedly been guaranteed a starting spot by Joe.

Something obviously has to give.

Who would be more agreeable to bringing in the final key holdovers from the Bad Boys II era than their old coach, Larry Brown? What if the Bobcats could pull this off by giving up two (Wallace & Mohammed) out of three players that they've been actively shopping anyway?"

Dr. Trade: One Deal, Three Fixes For The Pistons, Bobcats, & Clippers | Bleacher Report

Entire Coaching Staff Returns to USA Basketball
    NBA.Com

"USA Basketball announced on June 25 that 25 top rising NBA players had accepted invitations from to participate in the 2009 USA Basketball Men's National Team mini-camp that will be conducted July 22-25 in Las Vegas, Nev. USA Basketball also previously announced that the coaching staff for the mini-camp would be Toronto Raptors head coach Jay Triano, Utah Jazz assistant coach Tyrone Corbin, Detroit Pistons assistant Dave Cowens, former New Orleans Hornets assistant Kenny Gattison, and Minnesota Timberwolves assistant Jerry Sichting."

NBA.com: Entire Coaching Staff Returns to USA Basketball

Delfino not satisfied: That sounds Familiar
    Toasterhands - LifeOnDumars

"It has been reported that former Piston and Raptor Carlos Delfino will likely stay in Russia to play ball instead of playing it in Toronto.
    And to premise this a bit, I’m not knocking Delfino’s apparent decision to stay put in Russia just because I think he should be playing in the NBA. People do what’s best for their situation and, you know, to each his own.

So as I’ve read more and more at different places about Delfino’s Russia-NBA saga I’ve come away with the opinion that Delfino was never really satisfied with playing in the NBA, and was never truely hell-bent on proving that he even had the goods to stick with the big boys for the long haul. That’s what I’ve been most irritated by since the end of the Delfino era in Detroit.

It’s not so much that he’s not playing in the best league in the world, it’s about how he conducted himself while in the NBA that has always irked me."

Delfino Not Satisfied: That Sounds Familiar | Life On Dumars | A Detroit Pistons Blog

2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Ben already has the starting job by Joe? I can't find nothing on google about it, except this article on Bleacher Report.

I thought it was 6th man.

:sherlock::reading:

3. Wiggles

Wiggles First Round Draft Pick

lol John Hammond picking up Sleepy and Amir, but giving up CV31 and probably Rammon Sessions?

And people complain about Joe?

4. G-man

G-man Starter

Now this from our Sponsors..

LK-

From the piece;

"This may seem like a pie in the sky type of deal at first glance. The longer I look at this however, the more I'm convinced that all three GM's would make this move if given the opportunity.

I especially like how this would rebuild Detroit with fairly realistic contracts. Given the fact that they chose to use their free agency money this year, why not finish the makeover all the way? It's a more offensive-oriented team than the Pistons are used to, but it's also a better one in the chemistry department.

Charlotte would finally have a balanced starting five, one that's laden with the veterans that Larry Brown wants, and one that would legitimately get them to the postseason.

Los Angeles would have the deepest roster they have ever fielded, with each player bringing something different to his respective position.

Trust me on this one. After all, I am a Doctor."

He's a blogger LK. He's blogging his brainstorm.

The articles in here are different internet "pieces" that pop-up on the web each day. I search them out and paste them regardless of the avenue the different rants take. I pass no judgement prior to posting them as that would show bias and make the room boring.

It's all about adding some color each day. Ventilating the room so to speak. Much of it's real happening news, some is opinion based on news, some is just plain old fahioned "horse tradin" material. That's what this particular piece represents, some might even say "horse puckey" material.

In either case the information makes for some great forum "grabs" that can then be posted in/or as threads and debated. They're nothing but cranium kickers...

5. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

Wow!
    Thats a great trade proposition right there.

6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I wouldn't think the Clippers would be in on this...Poor Nazr.

7. G-man

G-man Starter

Detroit Pistons sign Chris Wilcox (Offical Release)
    InsideHoops.com

"Detroit Pistons President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars announced today that the club has signed free agent forward Chris Wilcox to a multi-year contract. Per team policy, terms of the contracts were not disclosed.

“We are excited to add a young, athletic big man in Chris Wilcox,” said Dumars. “Chris provides our team with some added depth in the front court and we look forward to watching his continued development while here with the Pistons.”

Wilcox, 26, has appeared in 448 career NBA games (2 11 starts) averaging 9.3 points (52.7% from the field), 5.3 rebounds and 21.7 minutes per game. Since joining the league as the eighth overall pick in the 2002 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers, he has played for three franchises including Los Angeles, Seattle/Oklahoma City and New York.

In 62 games with Oklahoma City and New York last season, Wilcox averaged 7.2 points, 4.5 rebounds and shot 49.7% from the field in 16.9 minutes per game.

His best two seasons came in 2006-07 and 2007-08 with Seattle where he averaged 13.5 points and 13.4 points, respectively. Wilcox started 81 of 82 games during the 2006-07 season where he averaged career-highs in points (13.5) and rebounds (7.7) and ranked 16th among NBA league leaders in field goal percentage (.529)."

Detroit Pistons sign Chris Wilcox : InsideHoops

8. G-man

G-man Starter

The many reasons Detroit didn't trade for Glen Davis
    Dan Feldman - PistonPowered - ESPN

"When Maxiell signed a four-year, $20 million deal last year, it made a lot of sense. At worst, he was a high-end reserve. At best, he was a starter. Either way, he was worth $5 million per season.

But Maxiell clashed with Michael Curry last year and wasn’t as productive as we had seen in past years. Curry wasn’t pleased with Maxiell’s rebounding (which is actually better than Davis’s). At this point, Maxiel doesn’t seem like a great value.

If this trade had done through, Davis could have earned between $2,312,290 and $4,495,623 next year. The high end is way too much, but the low end might be reasonable. I think his contract would have been closer to high end, though.
    Last year was rock bottom for Maxiell. Davis seemed to be in a good situation with Celtics (despite this), and he didn’t produce.

Even though he costs a little more, I’d rather take my chances Maxiell will rebound (figuratively and literally) under John Kuester than pick up Davis."

PistonPowered » Blog Archive » The many reasons Detroit didn’t trade for Glen Davis

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Did Curry get along with anyone?

10. G-man

G-man Starter

only his dog - scuffynuts..

[​IMG]

11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

he was cheap hiring and therefore for Davidson's clan "a good person"

or what?

12. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Re: Now this from our Sponsors..

I actually talked to him about it.

He gave me this.

So it wasn't brainstorming. The rest was. :sssh:

13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    All-Summer League Teams

A look at the top performances from Sin City.

Austin Daye
    Pistons fans who were questioning Detroit’s decision to select the Gonzaga forward with their first round pick at 15 have to be feeling much better after the showing that Daye put on in Vegas. His numbers were solid (aside from a high number of fouls), he improved as the week went along, but above all else, the Gonzaga product showed a tremendous amount of potential to be a match up problem in the NBA. Daye spent the majority of his time on the perimeter where he looked very comfortable. His shot has improved significantly to the point where his most dangerous weapon during his five games was a catch and shoot mid-range jumper coming off of screens. Another major plus for Daye was a surprising amount of toughness he showed in the lane. While it wasn’t a big shock to see the 6-11 small forward taking slower big men off the dribble, it was a bit unexpected to see him finishing at the rate that he was. It was obvious he got more aggressive as the week went on and that resulted in 16 free throw attempts in his final two games. In all, Daye took a major step towards quieting his doubters during the week and showed the kind of potential that may make him one of the top steals in his draft class.

DaJuan Summers

As excited as the Pistons front office is about Austin Daye, they may be even more excited by the potential that DaJuan Summers showed during his five games in Las Vegas. The Georgetown product has an NBA-ready body at 6-8 240-pounds and has the skill set to play inside or outside. Summers did the majority of his scoring with a good looking mid-range jumper that he was able to hit from a standstill and on the move. He has deceptive quickness and crafty enough handles that he was able to create his own shot from time to time, but looks more like he will be a pick-and-pop kind of player. While his mid-range game flourished, perimeter shooting was a different story for Summers who went 3-for-11 from beyond the arc and never looked completely comfortable firing away from deep. He did show the ability to bull his way past smaller defenders to the basket when operating on the perimeter, a facet of his game that will allow him to be successful when matched up with small forwards.
    SLAM ONLINE | » All-Summer League Teams

14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Oh god, I remember seeing that dog somewhere before. That piccould give anyone the creeps! :cold: