Today's Piston Pieces 7/28/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jul 28, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Obama Says WNBA Is Inspiration to His Daughters (Shock)
    Prerana Swami - CBS News Blog

"President Obama met with members of the Detroit Shock in the White House today and congratulating them for their third WNBA championship win in six years.

The president thanked the players for contributing to the Detroit community and participating in his community service initiative "United We Serve" as well as serving as a source of inspiration for his daughters.

The Shock were joined by Detroit Pistons greats Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn. Laimbeer was head coach of the team until last month when Mahorn took over (he was previously an assistant coach).

Karen Davidson, owner of the Shock and the NBA's Detroit Pistons, was also in attendence, as were Michigan Senator Carl Levin and Representatives Sandy Levin and Carolyn Kilpatrick.

An avid Chicago Bulls fan, Mr. Obama noted that he would never be congratulating Lambieer and Mahorn on their success.

Referring to the Bull-Pistons rivalry of 20 years ago, Mr. Obama said: "To think that I'd be inviting them to the White House is hard to take."

Obama Says WNBA Is Inspiration to His Daughters - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Lots of Shock, awe for Sanni (Shock)
    Calvin Scott - SouthTown Star

"This season, the Shock has had a big dose of reality. Detroit is 5-9, last place in the Eastern Conference, and longtime head coach Bill Laimbeer resigned after the team was 1-2. Rick Mahorn, Laimbeer's frontcourt mate on those late 1980s-early-1990s "Bad Boys" Detroit Pistons teams, took over as head coach.

On Monday, Sanni and the Shock became a bit more awestruck: The 2008 championship team was honored at the White House by President Barack Obama.
    "I got to shake his hand. It was just exciting," Sanni said from the team bus as it pulled away from the White House. "He came in the room and we were able to introduce ourselves. We gave him a gift; we went outside to take a picture, then Cheryl Ford and Katie Smith presented him with an "Obama '08" jersey. Then we got a tour of the White House. It was such an honor."

Reality will set in again as soon as those bus fumes clear.
    Detroit has 20 games remaining. The defending champ is fighting to make the playoffs. "Definitely we have to believe that right now is our time," said Sanni, who went from Homewood-Flossmoor to become a star center at West Virginia University. "We know what we have to do to get the job done. It's time to turn it on."

Lots of Shock, awe for Sanni :: The SouthtownStar :: Sports

Kwame Brown: Underrated?
    Toasterhands - LifeOnDumars

"FoxSports.com NBA analyst Charley Rosen did say Kwame Brown was one of the “most underrated“ in his latest article.

Rosen prefaced his most ’underrated’ players selections by saying this,
    “These are the guys who don’t necessarily dominate either the ball, the print media or the highlight shows, yet still make an enormous impact on their team’s destinies. These are the guys who can’t turn losing or mediocre teams into champions, but who can turn also-rans into serious contenders. The guys who never take a game off. The guys whom coaches love to coach and with whom other players love to play alongside.”
    I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Kwame should not be on Rosen’s list.

Just for giggles, here’s what Rosen said about Kwame,
    “Last season with the Pistons, he averaged less than three shots per game in his 17.2 minutes. But scoring is the least of Brown’s priorities. He’s a moderately successful rebounder, coming down with slightly less than the required (for a center) standard of one rebound for every three minutes of playing time. That’s not bad considering that his hands are not particularly strong. For sure, he’s prone to commit too many fouls, but as long as he can stay on the court, Brown’s size, length, strength and light-footed movements make him an excellent low-post defender. And that’s where his primary value lies.”
    Kwame maybe, just maybe might be a logical selection on the NBA’s most underrated underrated players list. But that too might be a stretch.
    But after reading through Rosen’s other selections, it seems rather clear to me that Rosen might have a bit of a differing opinion from most people on what ‘underrated’ means."

Kwame Brown: Underrated? | Life On Dumars | A Detroit Pistons Blog

I call shotgun!
    Pistons Nation

"This gem comes from my own personal Pistons’ library. It’s a 1983 issue of Car & Driver magazine featuring Detroit Pistons on the cover. They’re touting the launch of the vehicle that gave the world soccer moms…the 1984 Dodge Caravan.

Inside there’s some more pictures of the Pistons at practice with the minivan on the Silverdome court, but other than that it has nothing to do with the Pistons. No quotes, no nothing. Just mundane auto speak."

PistonsNationBlog.com » Blog Archive » I call shotgun!

Despite Olympic dream, Bulls forward Deng not gambling on fitness to boost British hopes - ROB HARRIS - Washington Examiner

"Deng, who grew up in London after his family fled conflict-torn Sudan, insists the Bulls did not influence his decision not to represent Britain in the next two months.

Britain is hosting a four-nation tournament in London featuring Israel, Poland and Turkey next month ahead of the European Championships in Poland in September.
    "If I was healthy I would definitely be playing and I'm sure the Bulls wouldn't mind it," Deng said. "But because of my injury, it changed a lot of things."

Former Bulls teammate Ben Gordon will also be missing from the British roster as the shooting guard spends the summer getting acquainted with the Detroit Pistons.

"Ben is still very interested in playing for GB," Deng said. "I think Ben thought he would be staying with the Bulls so it would have been an easier summer knowing he was coming back to the same team, the same city, the same house, but now his plans have all changed around.

"He has signed for Detroit so he has to commit to them and move up there and go and work out and get to know his new teammates."

Despite Olympic dream, Bulls forward Deng not gambling on fitness to boost British hopes | Washington Examiner

Australian Dancing With The Stars To Create Wedding Ceremony Entrance Of Minnesota Couple Thats Internet Sensation - Centrist

"The Centrist watched the internet sensation of the wedding party in Minnesota that danced down the aisle to the tune of Chris Browns Forever. It is one of those rare video moments that is now a classic. Its original and its just so full of happiness. It right up there with a video that the Detroit Pistons show during breaks."

Australian Dancing With The Stars To Create Wedding Ceremony Entrance Of Minnesota Couple Thats Internet Sensation | The Centrist

Pistons Mailbag
    True Blue Pistons - Keith Langlois

"Rickey (San Diego): I know Joe Dumars has had the luxury to stand pat the last four or five seasons prior to the Chauncey Billups trade, but with our current squad to you feel like we’re missing that one piece – maybe a defensive-minded, shot-blocking center – or do you feel comfortable we have our core for the next four or five years?

Langlois: There was only so much Joe Dumars could reasonably hope to get done in one summer to position the Pistons for another great run and, by reasonable standards, he got it done. The Pistons went from one of the oldest teams in the league to one of the youngest with an average age of 25 and nobody on the roster older than Rip Hamilton’s 31. Ben Gordon and Chris Wilcox are 26 and Charlie Villanueva is 24. The three draft choices all appear to have solid futures. That’s a healthy injection of youth – six players who, conceivably, are part of the core. Are they a piece or two shy of a championship contender? We don’t know that yet. But right now they’re competitive, a middle-of-the-pack playoff team from most appearances, with plenty of room for growth and plenty of time to add one or two pieces to the core as those opportunities present themselves. Give the Pistons their mid-level exception next summer to add one more really solid frontcourt piece and they’ll look different."

"Artie (Holland, Mich.): If you have to project the Pistons’ starting lineup today, what would it be?

Langlois: Stuckey, Hamilton, Prince, Villanueva and Brown. I go with Brown over Wilcox because I’m guessing John Kuester will look at his stable of big men – Brown, Wilcox, Maxiell and Villanueva – and choose to split up the scoring of Villanueva and Wilcox and opt for the bigger body of Brown against opposition starting centers. The finishing lineup might be the bigger question, and that very could end up being Stuckey, Hamilton, Gordon, Prince and Villanueva many nights."

"James (Lorton, Va.): It was written that Utah wanted Prince for Boozer, but Joe Dumars didn’t want to make the trade. Do you believe Joe D will not trade Prince until Austin Daye is ready to take his spot?

Langlois: What was proposed, or at least what has been reported, is a three-way trade that would have sent Prince to Portland and Boozer to Detroit with Utah getting tax relief, prospects and draft picks. I think it’s fair to say Joe D would be hesitant to trade his best perimeter defender and his most versatile and durable player for someone who’s missed many games in three of the past five seasons, has only one year left on his contract and is making explicit overtures for Miami to trade for him now – which, if I were in Joe D’s chair, I would assume to mean he would look first to Miami when he becomes a free agent. The fact the Pistons wouldn’t trade Prince this summer is a pretty good barometer of how they value him. I would say the chances of trading him next summer, or at some point this season before the February trade deadline, depend on what the Pistons see from Daye and DaJuan Summers. Prince’s trade value next summer figures to be very high, when he’s entering the last year of a very reasonable contract. "

PISTONS: Pistons Mailbag - Monday, July 27, 2009

Grizzlies owner says ex-Piston Allen Iverson not in plans
    Freep - Staff

"Iverson wasn't even part of the conversation," Heisley told the Memphis Commercial Appeal after renouncing the rights to power forward Hakim Warrick[​IMG] ($3 million in savings) late last week.

It set off immediate speculation that the Grizzlies were going to renew contact talks with Iverson, whom the Grizzlies flirted with shortly after the free-agency period began July 1.

But Heisley quelled that talk.

"I think we decided we wanted some flexibility," Heisley said. "But the idea that there is a target is completely false. As for Iverson, I think he's trying to get with a team like L.A. (Clippers) or Miami or someone like that.

"Frankly, I've tried to tell everybody that I don't think we're at the top of Iverson's list, but no one wants to listen. All it is, we're basically opening up cap room for us."

Grizzlies owner says ex-Piston Allen Iverson not in plans | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Best of the Worst Pistons: No. 5 Allen Iverson
    Patrick Hayes - MLive

"This one hurts the most. As longtime readers (reader?) know, I'm an unapologetic Allen Iverson fan. But I have to be honest, last season was a disaster, and while I don't blame Allen Iverson the way some do, he, like all members of the team and front office, shares some of the responsibility. He came to Detroit hoping to compete for a title and instead the team barely made the playoffs. On top of that, Detroit gave up arguably the best point guard of this era to get him."

Best of the Worst Pistons: No. 5 Allen Iverson - It's Just Sports
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Does Kwame fit Rosen's criterea?

1) don't dominate either the ball, the media, or the highlight shows (check)
    2) ...still make an enormous impact on their team's destinies ("enormous" is probably too high of a bar and I can't say that Kwame meets that)
    3) Can turn an also-ran team into a serious contender (He didn't last year)
    4) Never takes a game off (MC made sure that he did... so tough to say)
    5) a guy that coaches love to coach (aparently not if you see #4 comment)
    6) other player love to play next to him (I don't have this info, but we'll say check, just to be nice).

So, of Rosen's 6 criterea for being underrated, Kwame fulfills the same one that I fulfill. Both Kwame and I fail to dominate the ball, the media, or the highlight shows. If I'm being generous, I'll concede that Kwame plays hard (ie never takes a game off) and that he is liked by his teammates.
  3. G-man

G-man Starter

No Shooting Allowed at The Pistons Practice Facility
    Need4Sheed - Natalie Sitto

"Literally…
    I don’t know if you remember Sheed taking us on a tour of The Pistons newly renovated practice facility last season, here is the video just in case you missed it.

One thing Rasheed failed to mention before the tour started was that you needed to leave your guns at the door."

No Shooting Allowed at The Pistons Practice Facility | Need4Sheed.com

**Noted feedback comment at the bottom of her piece; obiwan said:
    "sheed sucks take um off the site…he fears kg thats why he signed with boston this guy mailed it in in the playoffs…"

***Just my opinion, I'm wondering if the sites name Vs the sites content is going to make for some distraction over there...
  4. G-man

G-man Starter

5. G-man

G-man Starter

Hawaiian Heat Tropical Hawaiian Luau
    Detroit Facebook

"We are bringing you a summer extravaganza! Come enjoy a Hawaiian Luau...Detroit style with special invited Pistons and Lions guests and top entertainment industry guests from all over the world. We are bringing you a nite of fun and an escape from the hectic city life. There will be live performances and entertainment and prizes! You won't want to miss the "Hawaiin Heat"

"Saturday Aug, 8th 2009
    9:30-2am
    @ Via Nove
    344 w. nine mile rd.
    Ferndale, mi 48220"

Detroit Facebook: Hawaiian Heat Tropical Hawaiian Luau

(We need pictures from this event, whose going?)
  6. G-man

G-man Starter

Mid Range Game
    Dave Tuengel's Basketball Blog

[​IMG]

"Most coaches who have seen our teams play in the past three seasons, know that we have had very talented three-point shooters. We worked very hard to become good three-point shooters.

Though I believe in the three-point game, I still feel that great players need a "Mid-Range Game". The Mid-Range Game is free throw line, in the paint, the wing, and short corner. Twelve to seventeen feet.

I was listening to UCONN women's coach Geno Auriemma the other day on a DVD and he was talking about kids lacking in today's game a "Mid-Range Game". If you want to emulate someone with a great mid-range game, study the habits of Richard Hamilton of the NBA Detroit Pistons.

Here are some thoughts on how to work on your Mid-Range Game."

Washington Player Development Academy: Mid-Range Game
  7. G-man

G-man Starter

Challenge Flag
    Marching On The Red Cedar Blog

"The claim has been made that Detroit sports fans are "fair weather". Of course, this statement could be made for almost any city/team that is not the Chicago Cubs or the Boston Red Sox. Fans naturally come and go with the success of their teams.

In the Detroit case specifically, the Lions do sell a lot of tickets, but Detroit is not a football town. The only publicity the Honolulu Blue has gotten in the last decade is a result of their epic collapses on the field. I would say that Detroiters are not Lions fans but Lions sympathizers. The Red Wings, on the other hand, capture the city every year come playoff time. Whether they have a legitimate shot at the Cup or not.

Since I find the NBA to be boring, I don't have the same feel for where the Pistons stand. I know that it is true that fans seemed to abandon the team this year after their first sub-.500 finish since the Grant Hill days. That said, and this is one of my bigger beefs with the NBA, it is hard for any die hard NBA fan to be a supporter in hard times because unless you are a fan of one of the seven franchises who have won a championship in the last 25 years, then you know you have no reason to be committed. Even then, three of those teams have won a combined 2 championships in the last 13 years. So being excited only during good times is ok because between the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls and Spurs, you know you will only have so many of those good times."

Marching On The Red Cedar: Challenge Flag
  8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    NBA always keeps you on your toes

An ode to the NBA signing period and the best movie of the decade, "Almost Famous"

47. Please don't give him any more acid. Thank you.
    To Joe Dumars. In the span of 14 months, he hired the wrong coach (Michael Curry), overpaid the wrong bench guys (Kwame Brown and Amir Johnson), traded the wrong star too early (Billups, who would have netted more than just an expiring cap figure near the deadline), extended the wrong star too early (Rip Hamilton), overrated the wrong young guy (Rodney Stuckey, who might not even be a point guard), threw away the wrong season (2008-09, when the East was more wide open than we thought), then made it up to Pistons fans by saying, "I just spent $94 million on two guys who will never make an All-Star team!" Shouldn't you be worried when your top five guys (Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva, Hamilton, Stuckey and Prince) are all perimeter guys who don't rebound, play inside or make other guys better?

Bill Simmons recaps the NBA offseason so far, using quotes from his favorite movie of the decade, "Almost Famous." - ESPN
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yabut...
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Reading this guy's article was more painful than sliding down a hill of razor blades naked during an acid rain with video goggles strapped to my head that cycle through Barbara Streisand movies.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well, that's the truth in a nutshell. Joe has made a bunch of decisions, that due to their sequence and timing, look really bad when connected together.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Originally Posted by mikhail1973 [​IMG]
    NBA always keeps you on your toes

An ode to the NBA signing period and the best movie of the decade, "Almost Famous"

47. Please don't give him any more acid. Thank you.
    To Joe Dumars. In the span of 14 months, he hired the wrong coach (Michael Curry),

Can't argue this one.

overpaid the wrong bench guys (Kwame Brown and Amir Johnson),

Neither were "overpaid", Kwame was actually underpaid, and nobody cried foul when he extended Amir.

traded the wrong star too early (Billups, who would have netted more than just an expiring cap figure near the deadline),

Hindsight is 20/20, but last summer more teams wanted Rip than Chauncey, something tells me we could've done a Rip for AI deal and had better results, and Stuckey could've came off the bench,

extended the wrong star too early (Rip Hamilton),

Again, NOBODY said a word when Joe inked him, don't cry foul now!

overrated the wrong young guy (Rodney Stuckey, who might not even be a point guard),

I wouldn't say overrated, maybe mis-evaualated, but definitely not overrted.

threw away the wrong season (2008-09, when the East was more wide open than we thought),

We still would not have won the Central, Clev was too good last season, we still would have gotten the 4th seed, and had we lost to Atl in the 1st rd with "The Core", folks would've really been pissed.

then made it up to Pistons fans by saying, "I just spent $94 million on two guys who will never make an All-Star team!"

BS, Gordon will be an All-Star, and if CharlieV increases his FG% by just a little bit and grabs another 1.5 rpg, he will get consideration.

Shouldn't you be worried when your top five guys (Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva, Hamilton, Stuckey and Prince) are all perimeter guys who don't rebound, play inside or make other guys better?
    Well, maybe just a little.

Bill Simmons recaps the NBA offseason so far, using quotes from his favorite movie of the decade, "Almost Famous." - ESPN

I'm buying in!
  13. lifeondumars

lifeondumars Second Round Draft Pick

According to Rosen's criteria, here's a few players I included as "underrated"
    (as seen in the post)

John Salmons

Raja Bell

James Posey

Luke Walton

Nick Collison

Varejao

Upon further review, Will Bynum could certainly be classified as underrated, yes?

Anybody got any others?
  14. mikhail1973

HoopsHype.com NBA Blogs - Mark Heisler

Then, there was Charlie Villanueva, who should own a piece of Twitter by now for publicizing the web site by tweeting at halftime of a game last spring. (To show how fast things move, four months ago you had to explain what tweeting was. Now anyone who doesn’t know doesn’t care.)
    If you didn’t know much about Villanueva before, he was the player at the 2003 Nike camp who complained that LeBron James was getting all the publicity. After two merely OK years at UConn, Toronto took him with an ill-advised No. 7 pick, and traded him a year later to Milwaukee. Three years later, the Bucks let him leave without an offer, even after he averaged 17 points after the All-Star break last season.
    Charlie has been tweeting all summer about the glorious future awating the Pistons, who just gave him a five-year $35 million deal.
    We’ll see how that turns out. Personally, if I was a GM these days, I’d have a Twitter Exclusion. Anyone who tweets during games is excluded.

HoopsHype.com NBA Blogs - Mark Heisler » Steph overload
  15. mikhail1973

Trading places: NBA stars that have changed their roles

By Stephen Knox, Special to NBA.com

Allen Iverson is widely considered one of the greatest "little" men to ever play in the NBA. He has won an MVP award, and has the fifth-highest scoring average in history. Last season, he was asked to come off the bench for the Detroit Pistons, and he openly was not happy about it.
    Iverson is now a free agent and wherever he goes, he will likely take a more diminished role than he is used to, perhaps even coming off the bench. Below is a list of five current and four former NBA stars who have taken reduced roles later in their careers.

NBA.com: Trading places: NBA stars that have changed their roles
  16. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Pretty negative spin on our man CV here. Am I the only one that thinks that Charlie tweeting at half-time is not that big of a deal?
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

it really is to hard to say... was he ignoring a coach talking about 2nd half adjustments? that i have huge issues with.... was he doing it while they were just chilling? no problem with that....

really need to know more about what happened i guess... somewhere i read that he said Joe was ok with him doing it this year, if thats true... then I have to asume he's doing it in such a way that it wasn't hindering his or the teams abilty to play at there best in a given game.
  18. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

I don't think its a big deal either. One doesn't know its "frowned" upon until someone does it. In this age of Youtube/Twitter/Facebook, etc. new things will occur. I like hearing a players personal opinion on a game. Really, how different is this from hearing it from a reporter getting a quick comment or two from him? Twitter just cut the Craig Sagers of the world out...
  19. mikhail1973

Sporting News - Your expert source for MLB Baseball, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball and Fantasy Sports scores, blogs, and articles

Move #4 The Pistons land Villanueva and Gordon

The Pistons have this odd way of winning with a bunch of good players instead of having stars. Ben Gorden and Charlie Villanueva would impove any team. But lets face it, the Pistons lost Rasheed and McDyess in free agency. So in the end the pistons will look the same. But not puting this in would be a crime
  20. mikhail1973

Ben Gordon – SG
    Just remember this Gordon fans: Ben Gordon could have been a Chicago Bull for a very long time with a very hefty salary but he opted not to sign the deal that the Bulls offered him. Mm-kay? I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a player that was so spectacular scoring the ball and so completely lousy on the defensive end. Bulls/Pistons games will be even more fun this year.

The All Ex-Bulls Team | Pippen Ain't Easy | A Chicago Bulls Blog