Today's Piston Pieces 8/9/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Aug 9, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Reinsdorf's knock aside, Ben Gordon's a threat
    VINCE ELLIS • FREE PRESS

"Reinsdorf makes it sound as if Gordon would have been playing only during garbage time for the Bulls. But that's highly unlikely for a guy who carries an 18.5-points-per-game career scoring average in five seasons and has never shot less than 40% from beyond the three-point line.

In fact, there is some concern within the Bulls' organization that Gordon's departure will have a negative impact on Rose. The NBA rookie of the year was able to take advantage of driving lanes created by defenses paying a lot of attention to Gordon's shooting ability. The worry is that teams may now be able to crowd the paint more without Gordon along the perimeter.

Rose is a spectacular talent and should adjust, but Gordon did make things easier for Rose and would have continued to do so if he had stayed in Chicago, no matter what Reinsdorf says."

Reinsdorf's knock aside, Ben Gordon's a threat | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Kuester: Rip Starts, BG in Reserve
    PistonsNationBlog

"Well, Kuester said Hamilton will resume his role as a starter and Gordon will come off the bench most nights.

“But Rip understands and Ben understands there are going to be nights where both of them are going to have starter’s minutes,” Kuester said. “They are both going to have to earn it.”
    This scenario works the best. I’m glad coach K is getting after it early. Personally I can do without another who should start/sit controversy. Unlike Curry who was as indecisive with Rip and AI as Peter Griffin is trying to decide between Ernest Goes To Camp or Ernest Doesn’t Go To Camp before the video store closes."

PistonsNationBlog.com

Unwanted Ben Wallace Started Detroit Pistons' 21st Century Re-Birth
    Greg Eno - Bleacher Report

"The Pistons would sign Hill, then immediately trade him to the Magic for a scowling guard named Chucky Atkins, and a sculpted big man named Ben Wallace.

The Pistons got rooked.

How could these guys possibly make up for the talents and skill lost when Hill fled for Orlando?

Atkins only had one NBA year under his belt, but was a better shooter than Hunter, who also departed in the summer of 2000. But he was a far less experienced player than Lindsey, who’d played seven years in Detroit.

And this big guy, Ben Wallace?

Undistinguished, Wallace was—first in Washington, then in Orlando. No scoring skills to speak of. A pretty good defender, we were told. Could block some shots with the best of them.

Yawn."

Unwanted Ben Wallace Started Detroit Pistons' 21st Century Re-Birth | Bleacher Report

Isiah Thomas Is Like a Box Of Chocolates…
    Colin Means - On Line Sports Fanatic

"You know the rest of the quote…at least that’s what I’m playing off of. Isiah Thomas is one of the most confusing, unpredictable human beings in sports. One moment he’s sexually harassing a female executive for the New York Knicks, and next thing you know he’s in the hospital with a drug overdose.

You may know Isiah Thomas as one of the “Bad Boys” of the Detroit Pistons, where he won two NBA championships and solidified his spot in the Hall of Fame. Or maybe you know him as the man who slowly and painfully killed off the Knicks during his close to five years with the organization.

Well now you know Isiah Thomas as the head coach of an unheralded college basketball program. Of course, critics were skeptical, and thought there was no way this could end well for either party.

After all, how in the world could Thomas provide the needed charisma and allure to recruit high-end talent to a small university in the Sun Belt conference? There is widespread belief that most recruit’s parents would not enjoy hearing about a drug overdose from someone who could possibly be their son’s next head coach.

Honestly, what could be better for the overlooked and unanticipated Golden Panthers of Florida International than to bring in an NBA Hall-of-Famer and former NBA head coach to the sunny beaches of Miami? It’s not like Thomas could screw up FIU’s public image. What public image? Truth is FIU had nothing to lose by hiring Thomas, and everything to gain.

And FIU’s so called “gamble” if you will is already paying dividends. On Friday, Thomas and the Golden Panthers received a verbal commitment from a top high school prospect, ranked No. 8 overall in the class of 2010 by ESPN.

If you looked at Dominique Ferguson’s profile, you would see he was considering Duke, Florida, Kentucky, Indiana, and UCLA. No mention of FIU, and with good reason. In the words of Ferguson, “I had kind of forgot he was coaching there. Then we talked on the phone after they were allowed to make phone calls. Coach Thomas, his entire staff, the city, it was an easy choice for me.”

Ferguson’s ambition is the same as any other high school basketball star, and that’s to make it to the NBA. So he saw the logic in going to FIU where he can learn from the best, as many others are sure to follow.

After arriving at FIU Thomas had already drawn attention from top recruits in the class of 2009, Lance Stephenson and Latavious Williams. While he didn’t draw them to FIU, it looks like it was a sign of things to come in terms of drawing interest from big-time prospects.

Thomas has received commitments from Phil Taylor, the No. 39 ranked point guard in the class of 2010, and Chris Coleman, ranked No. 43 overall in the class of 2011 according to ESPN.

The pieces are starting to fall into place for FIU to bust onto the national scene as the next surprising mid-major."

Isiah Thomas Is Like a Box Of Chocolates… | Online Sports Fanatic

Big Ben Back, Does It Matter?
    NBA Obsessed - Athletic Team Sports

"The Detroit Pistons are building a team based on speed, offense, and youth and that has to make you wonder where Big Ben fits in? Ben is no longer fast, has few offensive moves beyond the slam dunk, and in basketball years he is Grandpa Jones.

What Ben Wallace does bring to the Pistons is an unwavering work ethic and an attempt to play low post defense. Once Ben had left the Pistons the low post defense was never the same. On top of that, Ben Wallace plays amazing off the ball defense.

In his glory years, Ben used to average over 1 and a half steals, more than 3 blocks, and more than 12 boards a game and even though he is listed at 6′ 9″ tall, many think he is a few inches shorter than that. The words “Fear the Fro” used to echo through the NBA.

Now hold on here, these are no longer the Big Ben Wallace glory days and do not expect any sort of a turnaround just because Ben is in Detroit. Ben will show the younger players how hard they have to work and he will provide a link to the past days when Piston defense ruled the NBA. Ben Wallace still has a few blocked shots left in him and will be taking a few more charges to help bring back that defensive spirit."

Athletic Team Sports » Big Ben back, does it matter?

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I hope Zeke has a lot of success at FIU and sticks a thumb in the eye of his detractors. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for him.

3. roscoe36

4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

as Q said it in article
    That's why I like BG/Rip playing in the same position. During flip era there was absolutely no competition in team and therefore they were lazy and sucked.

Now- nothing is granted.

5. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Stuckey, Gordon, Villanueva and Wilcox will do well together on the floor.

Stuckey's job is going to be a lot easier and he's going to be free to drive to the lane...Stuckey will reap the benefit next season when Gordon is out on the perimeter. Villanueva is going to demand attention from the defense as well.

6. roscoe36

The biggest upgrade from Sheed to Villanueva on offense, will be that Charlie will get out and sprint. He's as athletic as Amir Johnson, the people who pooh-pooh him haven't seen him play much.

If CV keeps his motor high and commits to team defense, he's going to be a huge bargain and if it took paying BG a little more to get his college buddy CV to sign for less, then let's take it as a package deal.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That isn't something I've really considered. What is it about BG's game that will spread the floor more than Rip?

8. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

A career 41+% 3-point average? *knocks on wood* BG has never shot under 40% from beyond the arc.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is pretty handy. I didn't realize how many 3's Ben shoots and makes.

Over the last 4 seasons, Rip has averaged .398 from deep and BG has averaged .417. Both are obviously really good.

But the volume of Ben's shooting (off the bench too) is striking.

Rip is 231-580 over this period and Ben is 636-1,525. Over their careers, Rip shoots 1.7 threes per 36 minutes and Ben shoots 5.4.

So, in conclusion, I buy your argument.

10. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

Thanks for doing the extra leg work in strengthening my argument. lol
    Wow,I knew BG shot a lot of 3's but didn't know the hard numbers. That is pretty impressive.