Today's Piston Pieces Weekend Edition July 10

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jul 11, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Jonas Jerebko shines in scrimmage
    Chris McCoskey - Detroit News

"He has a good feel for the game," Sullivan said. "He's a guy that can take you off the dribble and can spread the floor, and he's 6-10. That's the kind of player you have to have these days."

Jonas Jerebko shines in scrimmage | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Pistons assistant Walker: 35th pick Summers 'NBA-ready'
    Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Assistant raves after rookie's performance in summer opener

"Summers is a player," Walker said after Summers had 24 points and seven rebounds to lead the Pistons to an 86-77 victory over Sacramento in their summer league opener. "I don't know how he gets to No. 35 in the draft."

Walker went so far as to tell new coach John Kuester (who is attending Richard Hamilton's wedding) he thought Summers would earn significant playing time next season.

"Look, I never saw him in college and I never saw his workout with us," Walker said. "But he's NBA-ready."

Pistons assistant Walker: 35th pick Summers 'NBA-ready' | detnews.com | The Detroit News

DaJuan Summers shows offensive prowess vs. Kings
    Vince Ellis - Freep

"not only can he score, he banged inside for seven rebounds -- displaying his ability to play small forward and power forward.

"It's a luxury to have a guy that can play both positions," Walker said. "Some nights he can play the four, and he is definitely a three. What he brings is another shooting big that can shoot the basketball."

The performance validates the Pistons' draft-night claims that Summers is a first-round talent."

DaJuan Summers shows offensive prowess vs. Kings | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Austin Daye looks good in summer-league win
    VINCE ELLIS • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

"LAS VEGAS -- Yeah, we know it was only one game, and a summer-league game at that. But with questions raised about his athleticism after the NBA draft, Pistons rookie Austin Daye looked plenty quick to me -- at least on one play in the first quarter of tonight’s 86-77 victory over the Sacramento Kings."

Austin Daye looks good in summer-league win | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press
  2. G-man

G-man Starter

Re: Today's Piston Pieces

Summers Making Pistons Look Good
    Gary Washburn - Fanhouse

"LAS VEGAS -- After watching DaJuan Summers, who curiously fell to 35th in last month's NBA Draft, score 24 points with seven rebounds in 33 minutes in a Summer League win over Sacramento, assistant coach Darrell Walker made a declaration.

"Summers is a player and I don't know how he goes 35 in the draft," Walker said after Detroit's 86-77 win Friday at Cox Pavilion. "Things happen in the NBA Draft. I ain't crazy, I understand that but he's a legitimate NBA player. And I think he's going to get some legitimate minutes."

Summers Making Pistons Look Good -- NBA FanHouse

3. rip_city

rip_city First Round Draft Pick

is Summers a good defender? If so he may be like a poor mans Ron Artest. Good size and has a nice inside/outside game on offense.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Georgetown is like UCLA, They all defend. Poor Man's Artest? How about Tay's replacement!
  5. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Thats good to know after one preseason game. His jump shot is wet though.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Actually, we're really reaching and dreaming here, it's not even a PRESEASON game, it's a summerleague game.[​IMG]
  7. G-man

G-man Starter

Sheed tampered with? Does it matter?

Where does friendliness end and tampering begin in NBA free agency? Bethlehem Shoals - The Baseline - Sporting News

"But as I read the Boston Globe's piece on Sheed's arrival in Boston, I'm left wondering: exactly why is "recruiting" by other players permissible? Seriously, read this part:

That’s why Garnett would say things to Wallace every so often during games last season, because he knew what he was going through. “When you’re in the league for as long as we are,’’ Garnett said, “you go through a dark time.’’

Garnett reached out to Wallace, but discreetly. “I don’t really chase too many people,’’ Garnett explained."

SportingNews.com - The Baseline?
  8. max

max All-Star

Re: Sheed tampered with? Does it matter?

Maybe if its done off the court. Players cannot offer contracts so it depends on if there was any prodding from the management staff or not. Otherwise it's just 2 players talking. During games though seems kind of unprofessional.

Gordan called CV to convince him to come to the Pistons. Of course that was after July 1.
  9. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Re: Sheed tampered with? Does it matter?

2-0, keep this up we'll be world champs in no time.