Tom Wilson No Longer CEO of Palace Entertainment & Sports

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 17, 2010.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Online report: Tom Wilson out as CEO of Palace Sports and Entertainment

Based on the above information, Tom Wilson is a goner. I think this may be a preview of what is to come in relationship to the sale of the pistons.

I somehow believe that a takeover of the pistons have begun but not advertised as such.

The buyer, no other than the Michigan native who was part of the Cliveland organization but was let go not to long ago.

This would be a competetive move on his part especially when you look at the way he was ousted from the Cleveland Cavs organization. Sweet revenge.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Wow! Clearly that is the writing on the wall! And it's obvious we won't be making any deals before the trade deadline. Can't help but wonder about Joe.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I fixed the thread title. I was confused about what Tom Lewand was doing at the Palace. :)
  4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Joe's job may be in jeopardy, which leads me to believe that is the reason why no trades have been made and, with the exception of a guest appearance every now and then, Joe has been pretty much MIA.
  5. JJ33

JJ33 Second Round Draft Pick

His replacement's a nice guy, been with the organization since 2000.

And I fail to see how this does with the sale rumors, lot of people quit their jobs for many reasons. For all we know Wilson might just want something different.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Do you know him?
  7. JJ33

JJ33 Second Round Draft Pick

I've met him a couple of times.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Tom Wilson has a reputation as shady character... pointing fingers and not taking the... he got the nickname "Teflon Tom" by the local writers.

I'll share a piece I saved from 2005 from Jason Whitlock (ESPN Page 2)...

"A veteran Pistons reporter told me that when Wilson was president of the Pistons, Chaney and Collins suffered through similar assaults just before they were let go by sweet Mr. D. It was during this time that Detroit reporters tagged Wilson with the nickname "Teflon Tom" for his ability to avoid blame whenever the Pistons had to scrap one of his failed plans.

How did Teflon Tom become Mr. D's right-hand man? He oversaw the end of Mr. D's relationship with the greatest Piston of all time, Isiah "Zeke" Thomas.

Thomas was supposed to be a Piston for life. Late in Isiah's final season, the Pistons even held a Piston-for-life press conference for the man most responsible for Detroit's first two championships and the construction of The Palace. Isiah was supposed to get the kind of deal Magic Johnson has with the Lakers -- a piece of the organization, a fancy title and a fat check.

But guess who just happened to run into public-relations problems just before the deal was complete? And guess who benefited?

Zeke and Teflon Tom.

Yep, nasty rumors about Isiah, gambling and unsavory characters, as well as a premature leak of the news that Isiah was to be named president of the Pistons, "offended" Mr. D and ended their fairy-tale, father-son relationship.

Isiah was tossed out of the Pistons family, and Teflon Tom became president of the Pistons and The Palace. His official reign over the franchise ended when Dumars became the club's top executive. Wilson now operates from the shadows, but he and his flunkies are still highly effective."
  10. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Would we be better without Joe?

I don't know but I would wait until 2011 to fire him.. Want to know what can he does with the Draft, Free Agency period and maybe some trades for october or something like that.
  11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

If I had ever been blessed with the opportunity to own this team Tom Wilson would have been the first one bounced out on his ear.

Good riddance.
  12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Let me look into the futre....<Wavy lines commence>

Draft...selects a project player with all the potential in the world to be the second coming of <insert all-star player name here>...but never pans out...barely plays...[STRIKE]hilarity[/STRIKE] discord ensues.

Free Agency...overpays for players that are available, but haven't proven their worth the money...and sells the fan base on the fact that these very players are the missing pieces of our return to glory.

Trades....sends off valuable contributing pieces in return for past their prime big names or players that will help us transition along with the league and the game of basketball. All the while, not admitting that the subsequent failure of these moves actually caused the problems and that it was absolutely necessary.

<Wavy lines again>

Sure....Let's give it a shot and see what he does...
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Makes a lot more sense than the reasons he gave in the interview for leaving.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Makes you wonder just how much money was he actually making as CEO. I mean seriously, I wonder if the unspoken word around PSE is that the lux tax rebate is actually Joe and Tom's annual bonus, hence their aversion to it.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Tom Wilson has taken on a new position with the Tigers & Red Wings (per local TV)... one of his tasks is he'll be responsible for the new Arena for the Wings.
    Wings & Pistons sharing?
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Not sure how this makes him different than LB for his wandering eyes while still employed