Top 5 Favorite NBA Players

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by linwood, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You'all know I'm old.

Bob Cousy - the first real magician with the ball.

Magic Johnson - the greatest magician with the ball, and at 6' 9" !!

Larry Bird - great scorer, better passer (do I sense a trend here?)

Bill Russell - rebounds, defense, a winner and team first player.

Isaiah Thomas - an assassin with a smile

Bill Walton - a really great college and pro player whose career was shortened by injuries.

And by the way, I think all these guys have a NBA title and a MVP.

Laimbrane, S.J., linwood and 2 others like this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Woody and Lee don't get the concept of the number five (5).

Woody likes this.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Turkey. As you can imagine it was awesome for me having Memo on the championship team.

And yes, I've been here so long now that I consider myself an ignorant American.

BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  4. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For pure theater it has to be: Pete Maravich

And for pure three point shooter, who else but Rick Mount!

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I liked Lee's top 21...His description of Dantley brought back memories.....

roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  6. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Well, Ben Wallace, Billups, Prince, Hamilton.. I'm not naming them only for being Pistons, ESPN only broadcasted 2 games per week in the old days... and there was no way to watch nba tv or nba through TNT ... so I was always depending, when I was a kid, on what ESPN broadcasted. And I remember they broadcast lots of game from the Pistons back in the 2002, 2003, 2004. That's when I became a Detroiter for life hahaha...

IF your question is.. what led me to watch the NBA? .. Then I've to say that it all started when I played Handball for my school (age 11, or so) and then I migrate/evolve to Basketball, but not in my school, (It's not normal here that a school has a basketball court.. for that you go and play for a club). So I started playing in a club.

That plus videogames ... For real! I played a lot of NBA live back in the days. And in the games Iverson in the sixers, Stephon Marbury in the Phoenix Suns, were fun to play with, with all the dribbling skills and all that.. But never felt any love for a team until that Detroit vs Indiana series in eastern conference finals.

I was young, my father was never into any kind of sports so all the knowledge was from myself and videogames .. NBA live and later NBA 2k3, 2k4.. and so on. Well, when I grew up and internet came I was able to investigate by myself.

Other players that caught my attention back then were Kobe Bryant, Iverson, (though I despise him now), Jordan with the Wizards, T-Mac with the Orlando Magic, Dikembe Mutombo, And then the Pistons starting 5 and Lindsey Hunter! Boy! I loved to watch that dude,!.. Picture myself, I didn't know anything back then and this guy, old and all, who didn't look like a menace at all, always came up with a big play, a big hustle play.. (At least that's what I remember)

I just remembered that when I played those games, sometimes I used to trade to get Kerry Kittles and Keith Van Horn.. hahahaha it was easy to use them.. I don't know why ahahahahaha ... I think I've never seen Kittles play.

Thanks man! :D !

And yes!! That's exactly what it is!! I root more for TEAM, for DEFENSE, than for highlights and individual success or awards!

7. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This is a great thread
    OK here's mine
    1. Rasheed---Love him no two ways about it. Was sick when he left, then had to watch Boston games, then NY games to try and see what my man was doing. So very happy now he is back. It's going to be so much fun again.
    2. Bill Laimbeer---everybody I know hated him big time, I loved him big time.
    3. John Salley, Vinnie, James Edwards, I'm just going to lump the Piston bench together because I loved them all.
    4. Wes Unseld--we used to go to alot of Bullets games here, and that two handed throw down the court was awesome.
    5. Ben---I can't not put Ben here, when Wallace X 2 were in there, you had NO CHANCE!!!

linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

This is AWESOME! I was wondering how people came to be fans, and who really defined basketball for them. The fact that you are young, and not American is really cool. Sweet that you came to basketball through video games, and then joined a club to play.

I LOVED those mid 2000's Pacers, Nets, and Pistons rivalries. I hated and loved that Pacers team. They were just as tough as the Pistons, and had some really great players. I also really liked the Pistons vs. 76ers matchups around that time. Eric Snow and Aaron McKie were Going To Work guys as well, and with Iverson and Mutumbo, those games were exciting.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

At the time...

Rodman
    JYD
    Laimbeer
    Big Ben
    Drummond

I'm a sucker for impactful players that happen to be Pistons.

linwood likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I'm going to go with just active players:

Lebron - This guy is a basketball machine. Period. I love watching good players play and he epitomises that
    Durant - Kid is a hard worker and has incredible talent. I wish he would ditch the rip through and just let that silky jumper flow though.
    Steph Curry - Curry gets me excited. And his jumpshot is wet. There are not many players in the league who can stir up a stadium quite like this kid. And he is a hard working, all around nice guy. I have nothing but respect for him and the Quick Trigger Warriors.
    Andre Drummond - Detroit Pistons wunderkid. Love this guy. I really hope he succeeds. And man is he fun to watch! Stripping Dwayne Wade on consecutive possessions! Nothing has ever put such a huge smile on my face.
    Bosh - The Boshtrich doesn't really excite me as a player, but he is really doing some great community work over in the states and I have a lot of respect for that.

linwood likes this.
  11. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

1. Shawn Kemp - was my favourite player during my formative bball years. Collected his basketball cards, had his jersey, etc. Nobody else like him at the time.
    2. Reggie Miller - loved watching him take it to those tough Knicks teams in the 90's. Who didn't love watching someone nailing 3's in quick succession? Think I've memorised every play of the 25 point 4th Q in the 94 playoffs. Used to watch it before my own games to get me pumped up.
    3. Grant Hill - nevermind how it turned out, he did everything and was someone you could be proud to talk about in an era we sucked. It was difficult to follow the Pistons in the highschool playground when all your mates did the cool thing and followed the Bulls.
    4. Ben Wallace - Just played and did his talking on the court. Led by example. Made crazy defensive plays. Made defense cool.
    5. Andrew Bogut - love to follow the countrymen in any international sport and Bogut typifies the Aussie hard-nosed attitude enough for me to be proud of him.

del, linwood and BallDon'tLie like this.
  12. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

First up, how I got to follow the Pistons as this is why I selected my first pick.

Like a lot of countries, Australia got into the NBA in a big way in the 90's. Some of the games were getting played on Saturday mornings in Adelaide, but I grew up in country South Australia and we didn't get the same telivison schedule (we had 2 channels TOTAL).
    After I moved to the city I was hanging out with some guys in 98/99 who were into it and I decided to pick a team - I initially picked the Trailblazers as I didn't want to just pick your typical winner (Lakers, Celts, etc) and I liked the jerseys. This is where I first came accross Sheed and loved his attitude. They weren't showing games in the city by this stage though and the only way to follow was reading online, so I lost interest.
    Then in about 2006, we were playing NBA Live and I began using Rasheed and the Pistons and never looked back. I DOMINATED with him and Ben and my mates hated it. I would call them the Wallace Wall. Think the International League Pass became available around then too, so we began to watch more games as well.

I loved that Detroit was sucessful for such a long period through playing as a team, not through a "superstar"

Rasheed Wallace
    So Sheed is and always will be my favourite player.
    His skill was exceptional (if not always used), his attitude was infectious, his ability underated and his "NBACares" was always personal, private and from the heart. Despite the $$, he remained the same man - loved the stories how he would wear the same old track pants because he didn't need new ones, or how he didn't get a haircut until he went back to the barber in his home town.

Wilt Chamberlain
    Never saw him play other than highlights, but read his book. A bit like Sheed in a way, in that his skill is always undervalued. People always say that he dominated because he was so tall, blah blah, but there was other tall guys in the league and he dominated them too. They always say Bill Russell had the better of him head to head, but if you check the stats, Chamberlain comes out on top. The guy holds the record for the most NBA records! They changed the game because of him! He changed his game and tops the assist list one season. He scored 100 FREAKING POINTS in a game (with no 3 point line).!!! etc etc.
    I will never understand why people talk him down.
    In Cricket, Don Bradman averaged 99.96 for his career - the next best is 65 (most really great batsmen average about 55). Hands down, throughout the world, he is considered the best the game has ever produced and the handful of people that say the game was diferrent in his era, blah, blah, reneg on it pretty quickly.

As my basketball history is very short and I haven't read any other books or watched much older vision so I am limited to newer players. These were selected very quickly and I may edit them, but would have to include:

Lebron James
    I know most wont like the comparison, but to he is sort of my Jordan viewing as I didn't get to see Jordan play. When LBJ is on, he is amazing to watch. Can't believe too many players would have played minutes at every position on the floor in one season too (although I know this is more a result of the small ball of todays game)

Kobe Bryant
    Another unpopular choice probably, but so smooth when he is on song and one of the great players I been able to watch the most of. Have to say, I hate the Lakers though, and Kobe too. Just like his game.

Then I can't split Ben Wallace and Chauncy Billups
    Ben: Great story to be undrafted to the centrepiece of the defence on a consistently winning team
    Billups: Big shot. Everytime.

linwood likes this.
  13. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yea, missed him on my list.

This is why I didn't mind as much watching James Andersen killing us in that game last season.

Even just watching Mills' towel antics in the Finals was a good laugh too.

linwood likes this.
  14. max

max All-Star

Isiah
    Dumars
    Ben Wallace
    C Billups
    Michael Curry

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Non - Pistons I have enjoyed watching over the years.

Wilt

Havlicheck sp

The Doctor

The Iceman

Pistol Pete

The Dream

Jordan

Moses Malone

Cowens

Sloan

Shaq

Kareem

TMAC

Having a mind fart here, but the guard who was the father of one of the UM stars that just vied for the title for UM. Hmm. The name keeps almost popping up in my mind, but not quite.

Other Pistons I did not mention earlier. Thorpe. Drove from the corner with a speed totally uncommon for a big. Tay, great all around player when younger. Last five years overused. His fault maybe that we never had a backup small forward since Corliss? It seemed as if you interfered with Tay getting over played, you got booted off the island. And Hill. Bitter memories of the injuries, but at his best, what an entertaining time to watch Piston games.

16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Tim Hardaway?

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

1. Sheeeeeed - If I had my way both my son and daughter would be named Rasheed along with my cats. Watching a young Rasheed effortlessly bank in left handed 3's pre-game before a Portland v Nugs game was awesome.
    2. Larry Joe Bird - Walking off the court while the ball was still in the air with his finger raised during the 3 point contest was great. Him answering, "Yeah, the Larry Bird Fund." when they asked him if he was donating his 3-pt winnings to charity was even better.
    3. Isaiah Thomas - I love the fact that to this day I always feel like Zeke is, at best, moments from possibly killing someone. They showed Kevin McHale's 55(?) pt game from '85 on NBA TV last week. Isaiah was so good in this game that an in his homer prime Tommy Heinsohn, broadcasting to an audience who had to pay to watch the game was complimenting him non-stop.
    4. Magic/MJ (tie) - I'm losing steam here but I will go with these 2. I especially like older Magic who shot a little better. Both these guys were featured prominently NBA on NBC epics. I could also put Barkley here.

S.J., linwood and BallDon'tLie like this.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, that guy.

19. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

20. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

What... what is that thing?