Top Trio in 2007-08: Chauncey, AI, and Carmello

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Dec 20, 2006.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Getting to move back home and playing with AI and Carmello. How attractive would this be for Billups?

2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

He sure wouldn't get to take very many shots...

But the salary cap situation probably makes that moot, doesn't it? How would they be able to offer him any more than a fraction of what he could get elsewhere, including from the Pistons?

3. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Forget the small number of shots he would get.

He probably would not even SEE the ball except when the refs are holding it during time-outs.

4. BillLaimbeer

So you're saying that Mr. Fourth Option doesn't have the same ring as Mr. Big Shot?

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The AI trade has all but eliminated any chance Denver will go after CB. The Magic look to be the only team that may be interested and have the cap space to do this.

This is good in a way because the less interest there is, the less negotiating Joe Dumars will have to do.

6. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly, Denver was one of the potential big players for CB for sentimental reasons to Chauncey. That option is gone, and I think CB will be like Ben - Want max money but still be with a contender. Orlando is possible, so is Milwaukee, but i'd rule out the Toronto's, Charlotte's, etc.

If he walks we should at least get a S'n'T. Even Jameer would be better than nothing.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Thanks AI. I guess he wanted CBs dream job.

8. BillLaimbeer

What would be the most that Denver could offer CB?

9. roscoe36

Without looking, I would guess only the Mid-Level Exception (less than he makes now). They would have to pull of a S&T with the Pistons, and that would of course have to be forced by CBill if he really wanted to return home.

10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Here are the Nuggets' salary numbers from HoopsHype, already updated with the trade to include Iverson. AI is getting 20-22 million in each of the next two seasons, and they re-signed Carmelo to a max deal that starts next year, at 16 million per season. Kenyon and Nene are both in the 11-14 million range for the next two years, and Camby is at 8 million. I'm not nearly as well-versed in the cap rules as Roscoe, but I think paying those five guys alone precludes them from offering anything of significance to CB (or anyone else) this coming off-season. The MLE is what, 5-6 million? CB is sure to command almost three times that much on the free agent market.

11. roscoe36

Well, the #s you want to look at are 07/08 committed salaries. Hoopshype is notoriously bad at updating the second contracts for rookies. We know Carmelo re-upped with a deal starting at $12~13 million.

So they are going to be at around $79 million. This is probably why they traded their first rounders because those guys would have been a further drain on payroll.

Now the cap this season is at $53.14 million. That's a soft cap. We can make a reasonable projection that the cap will move to $55.36 next season based on past recent increases.

For the Nuggets to have more than the Mid-Level available, they would have to be at around $47 million or less (this is based upon a lot of assumptions about their past use of exceptions that I am too lazy to research right now).

Unless they decide to trade everyone away for expiring contracts, I would say they are going to be capped out until the end of AI's deal.

Note: The Mid-Level Exception is based in the first year on the "average player salary", not the average of real salaries league wide, but the salary cap (soft) divided by 12 (man active roster). It is currently somewhere between five and six million, closer to the high side.

12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Ah, I didn't realize that Carmelo's deal was starting off at the lower end. I guess that makes sense. But in any event, it seems clear that they'll be well past the point of having anything to offer to CB or any other top-of-the-line free agent. I didn't realize that Kenyon and Nene were both making so much money. Seems like the Nugs are suddenly going to be well over the luxury tax level.

13. roscoe36

The luxury tax threshold could be projected out next season to be $67.14 million. The difference the Nugs are currently projected to be over is almost $12 million.

So this roster will cost them $12 million in taxes, as well as a significantly smaller cut of the redistributed luxury tax money (should there be any). This could be anywhere from $2 to $7 million in rebates they could be losing.

If one can wrap their head around this, two conclusions can possibly be drawn.

1. One or both of Kenyon Martin and Nene are on the block effective immediately.

2. The Nuggets have mortgaged their future in an all or nothing bid to win now.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Man would they be good if KMart and Nene were at full strength right now.

15. webz

K-mart will never be full strength ever again.
    I don't believe we've ever seen Nene at full strength.

This is where overpaying can really cost you if the guy gets hurt or fails to live up to expectations. You're stuck with him clogging up a ton of your payroll. (the mid-level Tim Thomas exception)

16. roscoe36

I agree. K-mart looks to be like McDyess, and will probably not recover his pre-microfracture surgery form.

The question between K-mart and Nene is, which one is more tradeable? It's hard to think anyone is lining up to take on those headaches, injury concerns and contracts.

17. webz

denver is screwed. both still have another 4 years left on their contracts!!
    i'd be taking nene right now cos k-mart looks like he's finished for good. unless he retires and they can somehow buy out his contract or something. not sure how that works.

18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I still don't know why they signed Nene to that huge contract when he has obviously shown an inability to stay healthy. Dumb move unless they can seduce Arnie Kander away from the Pistons.

19. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I was reading 3 weeks ago that Denver was trying to convince Kenyon Martin to retire. I read a article earlier today that said Nene was on hte block and they were trying to sent him to the Bobcats.

I wish the Pistons had mortgage the future and kept that 2004 team together. We would be looking pretty good with Okur and Sheed starting.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Arnie will just rub mango extract on it. It won't help.