Top Trio in 2007-08: Chauncey, AI, and Carmello

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Dec 20, 2006.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Truer words have never been spoken...well I guess they have because every veteran poster on this and the other fourm have said or referenced this over & over since the end of game 7 in 2005 when the NBA declared the Spurs a dynasty.

With Memo & MJames or even Memo and Mcnasty, we'd be embarking on our 4th straight now and our own dynasty that would have at least rivaled the Bulls 90's team. .. I guess only Steinbrenner spends money for championships.:yellowprison:

2. max

max All-Star

Even if a player retires or is bought out the original contact value still counts against the cap. Its a tough thing. I think NY still has Allen Houstons contract hitting their cap. Have to be very carefull with who you give a huge long term contract to. K-Mart did not take their frontcourt over the top so its was a failure.

I would say this move is an all or nothing bid for a title. Probably figured they had these contracts that they could not move anyway.

With Billups. I am not so worried about Orlando. I still do not believe that they would be willing to spend all kinds of lux tax which they would have to in order to get CB and re-sign all their young players. Remember, they have a lot of cheap rookie contracts going on right now. Its nice now but wait until they have to keep them.

There is that Milw thing. Almost wish I had not heard that "friend" talking about how Billups would be interested in the Bucks. If you recall there was that unconfirmed rumor that Billups would be interested in them.

I don't really see him vanquishing his career in Milw but its still something that could be possible, or at least could cost the Pistons an extra 2-3 mil/yr.

Okur - Note. The Pistons could not re-sign both Okur and Sheed even if they wanted to. 2nd round picks had a different set of rules in 04 ( it was revised in 05 ). In 04 the Pistons could not go over the cap to re-sign 2nd round pick Okur. We would have needed soft cap space to sign him just like any other team.

It was either Sheed or Okur. Same thing with James. We used the MLE on Dyess. So take your pick Dyess or James?

Side Note - Maybe if we did not have to pay 5mil/yr to that lump of coal of a 2nd pick ( called Darko ) one of those guys could have been retained.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Speaking of posting the same thing over and over, the Pistons could not sign James or Okur with their salary cap situation and they dealt Corliss at the right time (as his skills were deteriorating). The Pistons got a lot of breaks to win the championship in 2004. Thinking they would win 4 with this same crew is a pretty big stretch.