Away Toronto Raptors Monday Apr 1 2013

Discussion in 'April 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I want to be clear, I like Singler and think he's had a terrific year. I just don't understand why Frank treats him like he's Jordan. (Did Jordan play this many minutes his rookie year?) Frank would play him 48 mpg if he could.

2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I think he is a fantastic player.

I don't, however, think he should be playing more than 30mpg at any position.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In 75 games, Singler has 42 single digit scoring performances, despite getting 67 starts and averaging nearly 30 mpg. His highest output ever was 20 points (on 17 FGA).
    He only has 13 games with more than 1 three point make (i.e. the same exact number as Rodney Stuckey... who is a horrendous shooter).
    He is the weakest non-PG rebounder on the team besides Missleton
    He only has 3 games with more than 3 assists (4, 5, and 5).
    He's fouled out 4 times (leads the team) and has been at the 5 foul limit another 9 times. He has 33 more fouls than anyone else on the team.
    His assist to turnover ratio is 0.82 compared to 1.94 for Stuckey. I compare them since they play the same position.
    His per minute scoring is nearly the worst on the team and behind TRG.
    His assist rate is also lower than TRG.
    He gets to the line as infrequently as Austin Daye did.
    His 3P% is 7th on the team. FG% is 10th. eFG% is 7th.
    WS/min- abysmal.
    PER- trashy
    Production less opponent production: 10th on the team
    16 offensive fouls compared to 13 for Supercollider! Despite living mainly outside the paint, he has almost as many as Maxiell and Monroe.

His -51 on the season is probably his best stat. That ranks him 8th on the team, but most of the guys ahead of him are either Andre Drummond, traded, or have played far fewer minutes.

I don't think that he's doing anything terribly harmful out there on the court and I could be convinced that he's a glue guy of sorts (creates motion, gets garbage, makes surprising cuts now and then). However, let's be real. SG/ SF is a critical position in this league and he's a placeholder that is getting outproduced by superior opponents on a nightly basis. It's more important to find an upgrade for him than any other position. I'm not convinced that Singler would get playing time off of the bench for most playoff teams. If he did, it would be limited.

His efficiency at the start of the year was significantly better than it has been over the past 3+ months.

Also, he might have the worst tattoo in the league:

[​IMG]

The Panda and BallDon'tLie like this.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for stats TaS......You are right...he would barely get a sniff of PT on
    any playoff bound team or pretender with those type of numbers.
    You have to wonder if he swapped places with JJ or Middleton for say
    10 games, would they have similar or better stats? He is consistent, but
    mediocre consistent at best.

5. linwood

linwood All-Star

[​IMG]

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Does anyone have a roofie? I'm surprised at how bad his stats are. Maybe he is living off the hot start/low expectations.

He makes what, 1.3 million or something like that? I bet he is no worse than second on the team in 15 minute + runs. Monroe is the only one who might have him there.

I also don't think the Pistons team defense is doing him any favors when he's trying to cover some of these 2's and 3's.

He really flourished during that Drummond/Magic-lite/3-ball run.

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The problem with Singler isn't Singler or Frank, its Joe. Joe constructed this dysfunctional mess. Stuckey simply could not perform. Then Joe traded 2 SFs. Unless you reactivate Maggette and see what he can do. Singler is IT.

Middleton was lost in the shuffle from day 1. I have no idea why they drafted him except as an option to compete with singler. Unless he goes bananas over the offseason, he's not going to beat out singler for a backup spot.

When you have too many parts that don't fit (stuckey, bynum, CV) and you have too many new faces (drummond, English, TRG, Middleton, Singler) you are going to over use the guys you can depend upon.

The Panda likes this.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...so awesome!
    :lol:

9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Middleton has been getting minutes. And he will continue to do so.

Next season we lose Maggette and we hopefully lose Maxiell/Bynum

I personally hope we get Calderon to stay, but I seriously doubt it. That is as clean a slate as you can get. The rest of the players on the team are ok (excluding BOT)

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like BOT more than Stuckey.

linwood and coynejeremy like this.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

God, I can't believe I'm typing this... but I think I agree.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

ANYBODY else see Knight's missed layup to tie the game at 93??? OYY!

14. BallDon'tLie

*Disclaimer
    Please do not continue reading this post if you're pollitically correct. It's a freaking joke alluding to comments made by Kevin Garnett and Rod Stuckey's propensity for initiating contact.

That's like saying that you'd rather die of cancer than a car accident.

brofmfa likes this.
  15. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

This is absolutely the case, and ironically a total turnaround from the start of the season, when SF was a total logjam of a position. Singler basically plays the 3 out of necessity, because the Pistons have no 3's other than Middleton, who's not strong enough to guard the bigger 3's in the league and isn't a whole lot more productive out there (even if he is their best player on both ends of the court). JJ and CV are cast there sometimes but that's because they're 4's that aren't strong enough to guard 4's. Magette is an expiring contract with feet, and Daye and Prince - who were the Pistons' best 3's about halfway through the year - were traded. It's so bad that Stuckey has actually gotten minutes at the 3, and he sucks at the positions he's meant to play.

Your SF should essentially be your most athletic player, and Singler does not fit that role at all. He's a backup 2/3 combo player, forced into starting because the group is just a collection of average-to-above-average spare parts that Frank has no idea how to combine into a cohesive unit. Like the rest of this team, he's a guy with a very specific skillset that is being asked to do things that he just can't.

16. BallDon'tLie

Kyle Singler is a rookie BACK-UP swingman.
    He's being asked to start and most nights, check the opposing team's best scorer.

I like him against other bench players and I firmly believe that he'll be a lot better backing up a "starting" SF next season.