Home Toronto Raptors Sunday, April 13, 2014

Discussion in 'April 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Toronto Raptors

Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 3:30 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!

2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Huge game going on now. Datome is throwing no-lookers to Singler, Tony Mitchell is getting minutes and Drummond is grabbing boards like there is no tomorrow. 63-49 at half time.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons trailed 42-26 after the 1st quarter. Toronto guards are blowing by Jennings and Stuckey left and right.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice comeback by the Pistons.....wish they could have pulled this one out for the dedicated palace fans for the last home game...

I thought when Lowry fouled out they had a chance, but then they couldn't stop DeRozen or anybody down the stretch. I like the aggressiveness of Monroe and Siva, but Siva probably took too many shots when the game was close going 2-9 over all. Then again the guy he was backing up>>>Jennings was no better at 6-18, including 2-9 from beyond the arc.

The season will be defined by two issues IMO, the lack of defense as a collective group and the last in the league free throw shooting that today resulted in another sub 70 shooting at 32-48. A team getting 48 FTA, should normally win a game.

Ernie the Slow Adult and brofmfa like this.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will add this. That bad defense? That was Singler being totally unable to slow DeRozan in the slightest. Not for one second of this game was there anyone on the Raptors team that Singler could guard. Singler had no business being in the game, at all. Yet he was our top minutes guy and never came out of the game in the 2nd half. Coaching loss, as usual, all the way.

Mitchell put in some pretty good work, out of position at center, due to both Monroe and Drums getting into foul trouble.

JJ was our minus leader, playing heavy minutes out of position at power forward.

Singler was 2nd place, and our only starter heavily minus.

In all, a whole lot of Pistons put in a whole lot of good effort. Singler hustled, but since he is not an NBA player, can't give him any credit for effort he simply does not have to give.

6. BillLaimbeer

I agree that Singler could not guard DeRozan, but Stuckey was on him more often than Singler. The defense of Jennings and Stuckey was terrible. Siva and KCP were not great on defense, but much better than the starters.

With 64 personal fouls called, this game was very painful to watch.

The Pistons showed great energy and hustle to come back in this game.

81 down, 1 to go.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Down the stretch, as we lost the game, it was Singler, several straight times, that got burnt by DeRozan. Sure, other people guarded him in the game, but not when it counted. To me, the coach was just throwing the game, with a whole lot of cover from the announcers who kept claiming that Singler was playing great defense on the guy. Again though, Singler had no chance.

PS, nobody we put on DeRozan really was that good at guarding him, which just shows up how bad Singler is. He started as our small forward, but actually was put on a guard much of the game. A guard, whom he could not possibly keep up with. His lack of ability to guard anyone out there had our defense badly scrambled.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  8. BillLaimbeer

Yea, but Jennings firing up crazy shots, Stuckey getting burnt by DeRozan, Stuckey getting an offensive charge call....those were all huge plays right after we came back and took the lead.

Did you see Jennings with the right-hand layup? :)

9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Jennings is on the very low end of field goal percentage shooters in the NBA for players who take more than a couple of shots a game. That is a problem. At some point, winning games is about making shots, especially key shots.

I haven't seen the last two games but as I check the box score, I see the same low percentages as the 70 plus games I did see. The Pistons need to figure this out. Is this something that can be corrected? He has had only a handful of games where one could say he definitely shot the ball well. Never mind crunch time results which were even more elusive this year. Is this a bad year where his confidence fell or is this where his game is really at?

The Pistons played poor defense most of the year but did show defense in small stretches when animated. I still think the offense was the biggest issue. Teams usually get good offensively and then everyone buys in and plays defense in the NBA. The poorest teams in the league don't (care to) defend but they usually (can't) score unless the game is totally up and down. The Piston offense needs to get better first. The young bigs need to become more of a force but all this is dependent upon the play of the guards. The draft pick (if there is one) should be a point guard regardless of whether or not Jennings play is an aberration or not.

My worry is that there is no pick and, as a result, someone like Monroe needs to be traded to upgrade at guard or that nothing is done (so-called internal development) with the notion that .500 will be a good target. The target has to be elite status for the Pistons as the team has a player (Andre) capable of reaching that level.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not sure. I think he switched it to left last 2nd. Have to go look at it again in a couple of days. I record and watch the games over at my sons. My DVR is packed with games from the other 6 teams I follow.

11. BillLaimbeer

No, it was definitely right-handed. He got fouled, too, but missed the free throw.

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Call me crazy, but I really enjoy watching this version of the Pistons minus Smith.

I feel like Monroe and Drummond have taken some ownership of the situation. Jennings can't be your second craziest player.

I feel like the Pistons could get to Toronto's level pretty quickly if they could find their own version of Derozon and Ross aka good 3 and D guys.

Mitchell was put in a bad situation, but he battled. He needs to figure out the physicality underneath the basket.

Why didn't Amir Johnson play after the first Q?

I like this Toronto team.

I was glad Datome did well. He can rebound a little. If he could shoot he could be a stretch 4. Maybe next year?

brofmfa likes this.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, that would be two this year then. Vs. countless times he has either missed the shot or chose not to shoot what for most guards is a cinch shot. He has to work on that, and one more time, I do not think he should be playing without the ability to consistently finish right from the right.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Toronto seems like a team that could utilize gigi.

15. BillLaimbeer

You see more players, especially Euros, finishing with the "wrong" hand nowadays. Coaches are starting to teach players to shoot where they can find the most space, which sometimes is with the opposite hand that we are accustomed to. Going off the "wrong" foot is used, as well, if that is what the spacing in the situation calls for.