Trade= Better bench?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Feb 25, 2006.

1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

the bench is weaker. i'm sure i'm not the only one that noticed that the pistons are struggling since the trade. the bench is more experienced but not better. lindsey plays semi good defense but he also shuts down our offense. mcdyess has also went into a slump since arroyo left. he just doesn't get the easy shots arroyo provides. the bench will only look a little better because flip may be more inclined to play the vets than the younger more talented players that were traded away.

arroyo is not an overdribbler. he was just simply misused. he isn't chauncey so the plays shouldn't have been called to take advantage of chauncey's skills. the plays should be called to take advantage of arroyo's skills. he is a great pick and roll guard we should have worn that play out with him and mcdyess.

you have to also figure in what the players that were on our bench are doing in orlando. i would love to have a guard capable of 17 pts 7 assists coming off the bench in detroit. oh yeah we traded that away.

i'd love to have a backup center come in and put up 11 pts, 2 blocks, in 17 minutes. he can defend true centers. shoots a good percentage from the floor and can hit free throws. he also blends in on offense and doesn't demand touches.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Cato will be able to play pretty soon.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

BBJ for the reasons you suggest the bench is better. If Flip uses it it will perform.
    ...How much of TDrib leaveing was Flips fault? LB wanted a pass and assist guy, Flip likes a pass and shoot guy. For D alone Buckets should be better. Did TDrib not adjust under Flip? It's obvious he can score. As for Darko helping, just let it die, he'll always be a point of contention. Did JD let TDrib go like he let Mike J go? They're both dynamite players.
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The bench has been fine. It's the starters that have been worse since (and a little before) the trade.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Slippy what good is Cato? Is he a 'ship level player? We need 'ship level guys. Not Joe Average.
  6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

He will be great against Shaq. 6-11, 275 lbs, and has plenty of experience against him since he has been in Shaq's conference every year of his career, so he sees him 4 times a year.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I was doin' a lil research on the Cato/Shaq matchups...
    most of the games were when Cato was in Houston so we have to take into account that Shaq was often matched up against Yao... however there was a couple games where Cato had the starting assignment (Yao injuries)...
    Shaq's career stats 26PPG... 58% shooting
    Shaq last 10 games against Cato's teams... 20.5 PPG...50% shooting.

Comment from Shaq after Cato blocked his shot to seal a victory:

"Cato timed that shot pretty well," O'Neal said. "He's known for blocking shots and he did it there."

Cato had four blocks and played in his fifth game since coming off the disabled list on Jan. 22.

"That's just basketball, that's what they pay me to do," Cato said. "I get up for every game because it's been hard sitting on the bench just watching them play."

The Rockets got the best of Cato when they needed it.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Thanks for that. Let's give him a look.
  9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know Cato from his days in Portland- very strong, still athletic and quick for his size. If he's able to get healthy, he can provide what Dale Davis is unable to- be a big body at the 5 spot.
    Let's hop he'll be ok, we may barely need him.