Breaking News Trade - Calderon to Pistons in 3-way deal for Prince

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I think Calderon is hired by the league. He's probably getting every cent in his contract even if he is traded to the North Korea Pandas and don't play a minute there.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Walter, wow you really took a risk. To think you could just wander around the country and your papers would follow you there.
    This goes to show how tight lipped everyone was. Where was the rumors? Where was Wiggles ?
    What if Cal can't be a U.S. cit. and the deal falls through ?!

brofmfa likes this.
  3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Pretty sure the deal cant fall through now that everyone else has played for their new teams

brofmfa likes this.
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Nothing to do with being a US cit, just a work visa... just crazy amounts of red tape I would assume, and being a weekend means no paper pusher has looked at it since fri afternoon and won't till tommorrow morning. I'd assume its done by the end of the business day monday, the question is will it be in time for a shootaround/practice so he can play monday night.

I wonder what is different with the NHL, never heard of a player of a team up north from Europe being trade down south and having to wait around for paper work.

5. Mogilny

I like the sound of this:
    And this:
    Welcome to pick-and-roll basketball, Andre Drummond « PistonPowered

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The next time we play in Toronto will be April 1st. Let's hope we get this cleared up by then...other wise that will be the first and only time we see Calderon playing in a Piston uni this season...... :canada: Sarcasm at its best...:biggrin:

coynejeremy, roscoe36 and copper like this.
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not convinced the matchups are favorable to have Drummond and Calderon on the court at the same time. Is this visa problem a blessing in disguise?

8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

What would possibly give you that worry?

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure they can possibly be more effective than the Bynum/Drummond express. This 2 man show is like watching the Rookie/Sophomore game on offense.

10. Mogilny

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I remember how frustrated I was earlier this year when McGee got 3 alley oops against us in the same game. We are doing that to every opponent we face. It's worth way more than 2 points in terms of crowd effect and blows to morale of the opponent.

Dre is the most exciting player on both ends of the court to watch, closely followed by ThirtySomething Wolf.

copper likes this.
  12. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Even if the record doesnt show it, Im sure Gores and the organization are happy with the base they have moving forward. There is at least a spark that people can see....Who knows if it can develope into anything more than some good excitement? I just know that at least its gotten some excitement back in the building, and people can talk about more than next years draft.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The ranking of most to least likely to get me out of my chair fist pumping while at home watching a Pistons game.
    1. Dre (Dunks- oops, manly boards in traffic, shot blocks, intimidation effect on drivers and shooters, offensive rebs and stuff backs, steals and one man fast breaks, on and on and on).
    2. Bynum (Repeated exploratory surgery on defenses with only a scalpel and a hammer)
    3. Calderon (I'm projecting him to end up here)
    4. Monroe (through sheer will power and determination which can be inspiring)
    5. Knight (energy, pushing the ball, defensive effort, high arcing treys, and some surprising dunking)
    6. Villanueva (when he's hitting, no deficit feels insurmountable)
    7. Maxiell (same thing that has been exciting for years- rim shaking dunks. His shot blocks and shutdown D against certain players are sort of fun to observe.
    8. Singler (this is where the excitement ends. I appreciate his game, but it doesn't inspire me to stand up.)
    9. Stuckey (respect parts of his game... but his surpising interior passes when I'm sure he's ball hogging are the only real part of his game that makes me say "yeah."
    10. Jerebko (he used to pump me up, but he's just not as energetic or explosive)
    11. Kratksov (his Euro highlight reels got me going... just some GT here though)
    12. Middleton (tried to watch the D-League stuff, but he wasn't that exciting to watch)
    13. English (seems so tiny. Isn't doing much as far as I can see... even when reviewing in slow mo)
    14. Maggette (All the complaints from all the posters here about Stuckey apply to Maggette 5 fold in my mind. I cringed when he was out there constantly).
    I'm auto discounting the garbage time effect. Seeing guys get time that rarely step on the court is always interesting, so I'm focusing purely on what I've seen when they are out there and not my curiosity and enjoyment from seeing the novelty of them.

14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The ranking of most to least likely to get me out of my chair fist pumping while at home watching a Pistons game.
    1. A simple assist where one player makes a scoring pass and the other player simpley shoots the ball in the rhythm of the play.
    2. Drum's interior help defense. Seeing a Piston big rotate over to shut down an opposing drive attempt is something that we haven't seen since Wallace X 2. (Yes Ben did this a few times last season but...)
    3. Development. The recent trend of mid-range jumpers by Greg Monroe have me as excited as seeing Dr. J's chicken-wing over Michael Cooper.
    4. Scoring off of a set play coming out of a timeout. This is something that we haven't seen on a regular basis since 2005. On the rare occasion that it happens, it's exciting!
    5. Seeing any combination of Stuckey, Prince, Turd and Maggette firmly planted on the bench. The future is NOW!
    6. Watching Kenny English sprint back to the bench like a college freshman when a timeout is called or someone subs-in for him. A couple games ago, I thought that the Pistons were going to get a delay of game warning when Max subbed in for Turd and Charlie took about 40 freaking seconds to slowly stroll back to the bench to take a seat.
    7. Washed up "where are they now" musicians trying to hang on to the last thread of their pathetic careers by playing halftime performances at Piston home games.
    8. TRG sightings.
    9. Kris Middleton getting minutes now that "Inthewayshaun" Prince is gone.
    10. Teen Wolf sightings.

basketbills likes this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love watching a player take a charge, irregardless of who the player is.

brofmfa likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond is surprisingly good at taking charges. He's just so big that he doesn't get the call very often. Knight, Stuckey, and Maxiell seem to be the best at it though.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I enjoyed watching Maggette lead the pre-game circle dance. He's finding a way to stay in the L while his skills diminish.

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He is always talking to the young guys, never sulking on the bench. Very professional, classy guy from what I can tell from afar.

brofmfa and KGREG like this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't dislike Maggette personally, but he's really the only guy on the team that I was actively wishing would be removed from the playing surface when he was out there. If he was hitting those nasty J's, then I probably would have warmed up to him a little. The .238 3p%, .355 total FG%, .388 eFG% and team leading personal foul rate wasn't doing it for me. The 8.1 PER perfectly encapsulates his overall game at the moment.

He's not even that old, so hopefully he can get some minutes and find a niche next year. He does seem to know that he was brought in as an expiring and his job is to be a good citizen and influence in the locker room.

20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I think his game was so dependent on his physical game that when it slipped he was done... I think we did the right thing giving him a shot to see what he had at the start of the season so if he had game left Joe could deal him somewhere that could use him. He didn't, and took his spot on the bench with class and has embrassed being the old man on the bench and mentor the next generation. It would have been very easy for him to have gone the other direction and been a cancer or just sit there and offer no support.

A class act... (now watch him be a problem, lol)

roscoe36 likes this.