Breaking News Trade - Calderon to Pistons in 3-way deal for Prince

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jan 30, 2013.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

You knew they had to make a move on getting a true point guard, whether or not Calderon stays next year. Drummond and Monroe need someone to get the team into consistent sets. I have been clamoring for weeks that the organization will be stuck in place if it doesn't get some kind of "fix" at point guard. Now they can see what might be. Other "veterans" also need to be moved...

I always thought Tay would have had a better career with the Pistons if they let him be the outside shooter that he was when he came into the league. Instead, coaches fell in love with his post ups and ball handling, areas where his impact was not expecially productive.
    Nemo and roscoe36 like this.
  2. copper

copper Bench Warmer

The trade will defenitely give the team a new dynamic. It will be interesting to see what groupings Frank throws out there. I really hope he puts drum out there with Jose in the starting lineup to give a gauge for the rest of the year at what we are looking at. If we are going to make the playoffs? we are going to do it because of Drummond, not Maxiel.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is Joe's combo guard dream dead? Stuckey and Knight were each handed the reins for multiple seasons at PG and each had a hard time growing into the non scoring part of it. AI was a flaming disaster. Rip had to be bought out after reupping. Afflalo was discarded. For a GM who knows the guard positions as well as any, he's been floundering around.

Maybe he's done with all that and it is time to settle on a true PG.
    copper likes this.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Calderon doesn't stay, we still have Trey Burke to consider in our backyard...just depends on how bad we are in the end (draft wise) and how high his stock is if Blue wins it all...
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I get the feeling that this was more for acquiring cap spayce as opposed to landing Calderon.

I really like this trade because we got rid of the logjam at the SF spot. Now Singler and JJ will have to play their natural position and no more pretending that Kyle is a SG or JJ is a PF.

It'll be interesting how the guard rotation will shake out. We are committed to BK, and it would be criminal to not play Jose. You also have Stuckey, English and Bynum. Either English or Bynum will end up being the odd man out. A BK-Stuckey starting backcourt with Calderon-English filling in would work the best. But, I fear that we'll see a lot of Bynum-Calderon pairings and small ball with Stuckey playing SF.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This is a HUGE challenge for Frank. Bynum will be dealt to the land of DNP-CD's. Calderon is by far and away the absolute best PG on this team now, but I can't imagine them taking the point away from Brandon and Stuckey has those compromising pictures of Joe, Gores and Tidbits (Because I can't think of any other reason why he is ingrained in the rotation). Honestly, I think our best lineup may be: Calderon, Maggette, Singler, Monroe and Drummond. I say that because I prefer the Original Collider over our cheap imitation.
  7. Cardono

Cardono Second Round Draft Pick

Hell yeah do I like this trade... an expiring contract and one that may also be good for us this year?
    Can't wait to see how calderon can run the team with knight and drummond on the floor
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

On the Calderon bandwagon. Knight still needs to learn ALOT, Stuckey has never resembled anything like a PG and the team really needs someone to set up players like Monroe and Drummond. Nice one, Joe!
  9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I have been thinking about this more and more and I actually have a real slight inkling that we will lose one of our young players and it won't be Drummond or Monroe. This move says very little about Brandon Knight - bringing on a true point guard and shelving his minutes. But to be honest I think the real loser will be Stuckey.

Our best line up has to be - Calderon, English, Singler, Monroe, Drummond. Nothing but shooters and inside players.

I still think that Calderon will be resigned and it would be criminal not to do so. This guy will be happy with 10-12m a year and he will pay dividends on that investment even for the next 3 years because his game is not reliant on athleticism. Knight or Stuckey should be shipped, and even though every ounce of me says no, we should pursue OJ Mayo or Kevin Martin to take the reigns at shooting guard and use English as his backup.
  10. junkyarddog

junkyarddog First Round Draft Pick

Let's just hope Calderon will not came back to Spain at the end of his contract.
    Spanish players are really linked with their country and the Spanish League is the 2nd best of the world behind the NBA.
    I think we shouldn't rule out this possibility, Jose is 32.
    For instance, Juan Carlos Navarro, Spain starting point guard in front of Calderon last just one year in Memphis : he is still on of the best point guard in the world and would have been starter in almost every NBA team (maybe even an All-Star). This is not a question of level but Spanish are not so linked with the NBA like for instance French players : maybe Calderon is in this mood too.... if it is the case, well, we will still have cap room.....
  11. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

Do we have any advantages over other teams when it comes to re-signing Calderon at the end of the season? Bird rights etc?
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

All I did was put more strawberries in my cereal this morning. That always puts me in the forum mood.
    NYPistonFan729 likes this.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Funny to see everybody speculate how this will shake out on the court.
    I fully expect Frank to screw this opportunity up.
    He will, unless Stuckey becomes the 3rd option at ANY guard position.
    del likes this.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

i need to W's before I get excited. Even if we reach ~.450 by seasons end that's not Det. Basketball !!
  15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

True point guards are few and far between, and I don't recall the last time there was one in a Pistons uni. Monroe and Drummond, probably even CV, are going to wake up in a whole other world. The game is going to get so much easier for them. If BK moves to the two spot and starts learning to cut to the hoop things could get pretty interesting there too. I'm sad to see Prince go, but not a bad day for Joe. And if Calderon leaves at least there is cap space.

Memphis made out like bandits, and Toronto made yet another incomprehensible move. At least we've got Joe D and not Brian C.
  16. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm excited about this trade, very excited. We dumped Tay's contract, and in that opened up time for our youngsters JJ and Singler to play the position they are meant to play, the 3 spot. Plenty of time to go around for the two of them.
    Gives us a point guard that are in the top 5 in the league as far as distributing...and not turning the ball over. Also has a ton of Olympic experience, isn't selfish, is a fierce competitor (great for our youngs).
    Knight will start at the two, and if he realizes that's his position, and learns to be more active, he will thrive. Stuckey will come off the bench first for Knight, and Bynum will be regulated to end of the quarter/defensive haggling on other small points. I feel like there is enough time to go around for the four, maybe like Calderon 25-30, Knigh 25-30, Stuckey 20-25, and Bynum 12-16.
    Monroe, Calderon, and Drummond will be a grand threesome.
  17. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

I really hope they're planing to start the Calderon/Knight combo, and give English and JJ some burn with the 2nd unit.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I don't think the move was just for cap space alone. The team is "stuck." Knight wasn't producing as a point guard. Bynum had his moments but is not really good enough. And Stuckey actually tends to slow the team down.

The Pistons have two young bigs that need direction. One Indiana announcer said, "look at Drummond, he gets the ball where he can't possibly make a move to the hoop. He doesn't know what he is doing." Calderon can run sets and that should mean that Monroe and Drummond can be in position down low. The Pistons have too much invested in Monroe and Drummond to let the situation stay like this--even for now.

If Calderon stays, fine. He is 31 however. The Pistons can either draft a point guard or they can draft a scorer. They could bring someone in from free agency. But they need to see what exactly they need and with Calderon running sets, it will be easier to see the whole picture. And they can better assess the coach. Hard to coach when you don't have someone who can run an NBA offense.

Obviously, management could see the problem at the point. That is what I wanted to know. They know the problem. They are taking a step back on Knight. This doesn't mean at all, they are giving up on Knight. But the development of the bigs have priority. And the bigs need a point guard now. It does mean that the other veterans on the team also will probably be moved. Let's face it, Stuckey does not fit and may be better off in a new situation.

Prince should have been moved long ago. I was in the minority that wanted the team blown up after 2008. Well, Joe brought Rip and Tay back and we see how that worked out. It was hard to watch Prince after the glory years and if you watch Rip on Chicago, he is a far cry from the player he used to be.
  19. PistonsPoland

PistonsPoland First Round Draft Pick

Calderon is 31, that's not old! He surely can play 4-5 productive years. I really hope he stays with Pistons
    copper, TaShawn and BillLaimbeer like this.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. If we get in Championship form within 3 years, he could be a starter, or at worst a great backup PG for that team if he declines. No matter what, he'll still be dishing and hitting 3's.
    copper and PistonsPoland like this.