Breaking News Trade - Calderon to Pistons in 3-way deal for Prince

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jan 30, 2013.

1. copper

copper Bench Warmer

yeah I got a chuckle outta that:cheerleader:
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

3. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Nice trade. Calderon is obviously a poor man's Steve Nash. He'll make everyone on the floor a better player, including whoever he's guarding. He's really a 23-28 mpg guy, not necessarily a starter.

It will be interesting to see how it effects the rotation. Who plays with him? Do you go with three perimeter shooters- Jose, BK, and Kyle? Jose and BK form a smallish duo, but BK's 6'7 wingspan helps offset that. That duo would almost force Frank to drop either Stuckey or Bynum from the rotation. Or do you insert a penetrator into the starting lineup in Stuckey? With three nice distributors in Jose, Kyle, and Monroe, you might be able to get away with it. Do you go with Bynum and Knight on the second unit? If you're bringing Jose off of the bench, does it make any sense to have Bynum on the floor with him?

I could see Jose coming off of the bench for 5-10 games, but eventually he'll need to start on this team. In fact, I could see both he and Dre coming up to the first unit together 5-10 games from now. It still begs the question- Who will play the 2? If Dre is inserted into the starting unit, then you would think that it would have to be either BK or English.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

At this point, you might as well just blow the rotations up and start:

Calderon, Knight, Singler, Monroe, Drummond
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Many of us have been asking for a true veteran PG to come in and mentor Knight.
    Many of us have been wanting to get rid of Daye.
    Many of us have been wanting to get out of Tay's contract.

Several prayers have been answered it seems.
  7. Mogilny

Tay and Daye gone, a true PG, JJ at SF, a slight chance this might trigger Drum starting, Kenny getting minutes, Krava with a flush per minute - alot of good stuff.

Every player, except the Joggernaught, that's not in the Pistons future plans are now on expiring contracts.

Jose should start.
  8. Cardono

Cardono Second Round Draft Pick

Btw, did you guys see that dissapointed fan at the beginning of the game first hearing about Prince? kinda sad...
    dba and basketbills like this.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Why does Knight need a mentor ?
    Why can't the coaches mentor him.
    Why is he so stupid or does he just lack permission ?
    brofmfa likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Whoever said $5m for Calderon, please re-evaluate that number. He is one of the top point guards in the league, regularly top 5 for assists, top 5 for ast/tov, great TS%, and pretty much cannot miss a FT.

Depending on how he plays, the number he has now seems about fair, probably +2m
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

he makes $10M
  12. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Happy there is a true veteran PG to come in and mentor Knight on court as Frank (a non-HS-player) is never going to be able to do it from the practices.
    Happy with the salary and timing too - freeing up plenty of cap space to re-up Monroe and go after hopefully Smith this year or another stud next year.
    Happy that Singler moves back to his true position and JJ gets some burn again (hoping he get back in his groove)
    Happy Daye is gone.

I would have actually preferred it was Stuckey to go instead of Prince though. I still just see him as being the biggest distraction to the offence running smoothly and inserting Calderon won't help this. Plus he is petulant and not as good an influence on the young guys as Prince (although not saying he is great from his on court actions - just better than Stuck).

Not sure how the rotations will play out now though, but I fully expect Frank to roll out the starting lineup as it was in Indiana with first sub being Jose for Knight. I have written and deleted what I want the starting lineup and rotations to be a few times, but to be honest, I'm not sure just yet.

I think if Calderon can get BK on the right path and having him as a backup PG from maybe next season and the two after would be great. Assuming the progression of the young guys and a couple more pieces, we will start to look real good.

Starters:
    Drum
    Monroe
    [insert baller]
    English
    Knight

Bench:
    Kravtsov
    [insert stretch 4 who plays D]
    Singler or JJ
    [insert a 2 or possibly Middleton]
    Calderon

Whatever happens, I think we all agree it was another step in the right direction!
  13. Mogilny

Everytime I read or hear the name Calderon I think of Miami Vice.
    copper likes this.
  14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm excited about Calderon in a Pistons uniform. Ben Gordon being one exception, Dumars has done well by our guys when trading them. Calderon was one of the best things about watching Toronto in the first place.
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

With Jose on board, we are free to trade away Bynum and give Bynum's role (12-15 mpg backup guard) to Stuckey.
  16. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I like him at around $7 million. He's an elite backup/ solid starter. As much as I really like him on offense, he is a truly putrid defender. I would really like to see Dre playing behind him.
  17. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thank you.
  18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Holy crap... two days away from this place and the whole thing blows up.

I like the trade. I've coveted Calderon for a long time, and although I wish he was about four or five years younger, I like the idea of him showing Knight the ropes. They now have a bonafide distributor, and with Bynum coming off the bench and Knight taking over the role of de facto shooting guard, this team's assist-to-turnover ratio should climb significantly.

But even better is the fact that Joe managed to get rid of Prince... if they cut Stuckey loose for four million next year and amnesty Villanueva (I'm not saying they will do either of those, but if they do...) then they'll have nearly $30 million in cap space with Knight, Singler, Jerebko, Monroe, Drummond (a potential starting five, btw), plus Kravtsov, Middleton, and English all signed.

Now, the question is where to go from there. Josh Smith would be the ideal, but I think he's out of the question because the Pistons will be competing with too many teams (including Atlanta) for him. Do you package Monroe to make room for Drummond or do you get both of those guys in the gym with each other and take advantage of their polar opposite strengths? Do you hold on that cap space and shoot for someone in the 2014 mega free agent class? This changes everything.
  19. BillLaimbeer

The next couple of games will be as anticipated and exciting for me as any I have watched in several years. There are 36 games left. Will Jose Calderon impress the Pistons enough to warrant a contract offer? Just as important, will the Pistons impress Jose Calderon enough for him to want to stay in Detroit?
    round likes this.
  20. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

I don't think Jose will be here next year but this deal will definitely pay off in the long term