Breaking News Trade - Calderon to Pistons in 3-way deal for Prince

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jan 30, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

2. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I like Josh Smith on this team, but NOT for the type of money that he'll commanding. He is not in any way shape or form a SF on this team. The dude can shoot well for a PF. He is a brick layer at the 3. He's a third big man. He's a perfect fit as a third big. He can stretch the floor a little for Dre, and defend the rim for Moose. However, some fool is going to offer him something near a max deal, and he's NOT anything close to that.

I would like to see who is available in the draft. If we can swing a guy like Shabazz or Porter, then I go after Redick and re-sign Calderon. If we can get a sweet shooting 2 guard, then I re-sign Calderon and look for some help behind Singler. If Burke is the BPA, then we probably let Calderon walk, and I would go after Redick. There is absolutely nothing wrong with saving cash for '14.

This all changes if Chris Paul actually wants to sign here, which is unlikely.

I wouldn't move Monroe unless it was for a Kevin Love type player. They can play together, especially if you have three shooters out there with them.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I think it has been mentioned here elsewhere, but I like the idea of Knight as a catch and shoot 2. He definitely has the range and he is quick enough to move through screen a la Hamilton.

Calderon completely changes this team. He will make Drummond and Moose work together. Ethereal passer, he really is. His attitude is also awesome. He really plays hard. And despite being a poor defender, you can tell that he really does try to be good there. Should be able to cover with a good system
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Aren't we set up well to run a zone? Dre can cover so much ground, alter shots, and eliminate offensive rebounds from guys slipping through the cracks.

If it is:

Jose
    Knight
    Singler
    Monroe
    Drummond

does it work well, or does that make it worse than man?
  5. copper

copper Bench Warmer

With zone you are basically giving up some deep shots to prevent being beaten man to man and that is ok in spurts but that also requires alot of team chemistry on switches and passing guys off as the cut through the zone. the biggest problem is that whether its zone or man, drum is the only real defender in the bunch, and Knight has his moments. Even in a zone, bad defenders are bad defenders.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Drum made daye the best defender on the team (per synergy), so maybe he can work his magic on calderon.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Speaking of which, hollinger is the advance stats king and daye led lot of advanced categories (plus minus, ts%, synergy defensive ppp given up, etc. coincidence that daye was the filler?
    roscoe36 likes this.
  8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

nope, just propper showcasing :)
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You know, I hadn't thought about how this opens up a Will Bynum trade scenario. You may be able to move Stuckey if you package him with Will because I actually think an instant offense, off the bench PG on a $3.5M contract has some value. Between the 2 players you have $12M in salary....hmmmmm
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think against teams like Milwaukee, where we don't have the quickness to stay in front of their guards, some stints of zone make a whole lot of sense.
  11. max

max All-Star

yes thats a very good summary. Only question remains now is how will everyone fit in. Most likely scenerio would be Bynum is out and Calderon simply takes his place, maybe even plays more. Another Calderon starts and Kight goes to the bench. Another still is Knight moves over to SG and Calderon plays the point.

And what about SF? Not only traded our starting SF but the backup as well. Resurgance of JJ here? Only success he really had was when he filled in for Prince when he was hurt.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think that the starting lineup will be:
    PG: Knight. If you take the starting PG spot from him now, it's a wrap, might as well wave the white flag on the kid.
    SG: Stuckey. While I'd like to see English start, we all know that Stuckey has those compromising pictures of everybody.
    SF: Singler. Just because.
    PF: Max. Frank just really likes this guy starting
    C: Monroe. Because he still can't play PF.

I think Frank will change the rotation times to get Singler more run with the 2nd unit. I think that Frank will toy with a Bynum/Calderon backcourt just to see what happens but ultimately abandon it. The 2nd unit will look like:
    PG: Calderon
    SG: Stuckey and Singler. English still won't play. Why? I have no idea.
    SF: Singler and JJ.
    PF: CV and JJ
    C: Drummond

Again, I just can't imagine a scenario where they just flat out pull Brandon off the Point.
    brofmfa likes this.
  13. BillLaimbeer

As much as I hate most of this, I'm afraid you actually may be correct. You have the pulse of the organization pretty well figured out. Let's hope Joe D and Frank get a little more creative and throw caution to the wind.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pistons bought Calderon out and made this trade just to get Singler on the court at 2 positions at once.
    coynejeremy, brofmfa and roscoe36 like this.
  15. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Man, I hope you are wrong. The casual observer can see that BK needs a miracle to become a pg of any value...especially if you are gonna saddle him with Stuckey as his shooting guard. Knight is a very good spot up shooter and he should be used in that capacity for the time being, let him learn the pg spot from playing along side a true pg. I also think Frank really wanted a pg so I honestly think as much as I give him crap for he will get calderon into the starting role as soon as he can. The only move I think we really need is to get Stuckey out of town...or at least out of the lineup and let english continue to impress....maybe even get Middleton some time at sf. At this point we need to assess our assets and get ready to dump dead weight at the end of the season.
  16. PistonsPoland

PistonsPoland First Round Draft Pick

Great news guys!! By Keith Langlois :

"LFrank says Calderon will start as soon as he's cleared. BK will start at 2. Stuckey likely to play some 3, Frank said."
    copper likes this.
  17. BillLaimbeer

Small ball, here we come!

Have a nice day.

:hoops:
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's not small ball if you have the twin towers in there.

I don't have any expectations that Singler will do a better job at the 3 than Stuckey. Not expecting much from either of them. That position will be the weak link in the chain no matter who we fill it with on this roster. As I've pointed out before, Stuckey's 3-point frequency has matched Singler's over a long period of time now, despite his ugly stroke. Singler is smoother, but Stuckey arguably plays bigger in that he gets more done in the paint and he also handles the ball better, dishes out more assists, and gets to the line a ton more. I like Singler better on the break, but we get very few fast breaks. Not convinced Singler will do a better job stopping dynamic SF's. They'll shoot right over Stuckey, but he'll do a better job of staying in front of them. It's a problem. Jerebko might be a better option that both of them since he has 3-point range and also plays big.

The 2nd unit is going to be in disarray without the Daye/Villanueva stretch factor and eventually without Drummond. I'm really hoping that Kratksov gets a chance to be the poor man's Drummond with the bench mob.
  19. copper

copper Bench Warmer

That is awesome news...looking forward to him being cleared this morning at shoot around:)
  20. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor