Trade Dice?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by crastinator, Oct 19, 2005.

1. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

this is the first year this group of guys are fighting to reclaim an NBA title :eyebrows:
  2. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

No Way We Should trade Dyess. He is money when we need points in the crunch off the bench. When we hit an offensive slump (hopefully fewer this year) he is so cosistent. To me we got about 4-5 players I would trade first. My top 5.

1. Carlos Delfino- Love his play at the rim but with Evans we could survive.

2. Carlos A.- Love his game as well, now that he is gaining confidence, but many games for matchup reasons he want see much PT.

3. Dupree- Could lose him but don't know what we could get in return.

4. Amir Johnson- Guy is going to be a starterin this league after 3-4 years (See J.O) however, with our lineup will be Loooong time before he see's playing time.

5. Dale Davis- but only if EC would come back, need his body for insurance in Heat series.

With all that said I say we keep all of them, very impressed with their play thus far.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hope this is not because he's not doing good so far in the preseason. He's not not taking over the other team's bench because he wants the other guys mainly Darko to get the ball. Don't trade Dice he's one of the very few NBA players that shoots 50% consistantly.
  4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

no foul trouble didn't hurt us. lack of coaching did. joe provided us with plenty of big men for the finals. we just had a terrible coach that wouldnt' put the serbian swat machine in the game. he wouldn't even put the big easy in the game for 2 minutes. he'd rather put in lindsey and slide tayshaun over to the 4.

that said. i would not trade dice he is extremely hungry for a title and he was the 1 piston big man that was bringing it every night in the finals.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The last thing we need is to lose a great big-man when we all know we'll have to face up against Jermaine, Shaq, and Tim Duncan at sometime.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LOL. Who gets credit for coining that phrase? Did you make it up?
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I don't think it has anything to do with it. I think Blakely was just talking about the teams depth and in his opinion he thought Dyess would be the most expendable. (I strongly beg to differ with him).
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dyss rock solid

He was one of our best players at the end of the playoffs. I judge a player by what he does at that time and not the pre-season. The rest of the second team is starting to look good but they are still unproven players. Dyss is proven big time.
  9. max

max All-Star

Great Deal

Dyess is a great deal. Packaging him in with someone like Arroyo who is a bad deal for the money would make a balanced trade if 10mil/season needed to be freed up.

You know if Tay gets his deal and Ben his - do not expect much of a bench.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rolling the Dyess

The Pistons are a shot or two away from being back-to-back World Champions. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is no way the Pistons should trade Dyess this season. Last year, the Pistons had only ONE PLAYER they could count on coming off the bench. Why would they want to make it ZERO for this year? Right now, there is some excitement with the bench's potential, but McDyess is the only guy on that second unit with both a drivers license and a Green Card. He gives the bench some experience and stability.
  11. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

No, No, a dozen times No!

As big a Darko suppoorter as I have been, I don't think it is in our best interest to trade Dyce, even if we could (no trade clause). Just because DMC has progressed well and I believe he will continue to do so, Dyce is a tremendous value for the club and a total professional who can step in at a moment's notice and give us continuity. No drop off when he comes in and if Darko hits a couple of those valleys he might still run into, Dyce should be here.

Maybe another year or so he might be expendable, but not this year. In another year, Darko will be able to step in and JMaxx will be in the mix, too, by that time.

We have such a great collection of bigs, but I still would not let him go. Not yet.

Besides, he deserves a ring before he goes.:laugh:
  12. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

One good one!!!

That was great. :laugh: :thumb:
  13. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

A contender wouldn't dump a vet like McDyess, a selfless competitor who saves his best ball for The Finals.

Sometimes I can't believe we won a championship without him. Don't mean to give Mickey-Mickey-McDyess too much credit...but this guy's been everything we could've hoped for and then some. It's vital we keep him. V-I-T-A-L.

There's already too many kids on the bench. Need to keep the grown-ups if we hope to go deep into the playoffs...because listen, when crunch time rolls around in the ECF and The Finals, these kids are gonna disappear. As nice as they seem right now, Darko will disappear, the Carlos's will disappear, Evans will disappear, Dupree will disappear...the only players you can ever count on are always your veterans. That's why SanAntonio looks so tough.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I agree that it's too soon to be talking about trading Dice.
    I may have overstated that his Trade kicker makes it too hard to trade him.
    If we decided after this year that Darko is ready to take over the backup PF/C spots it is possible to trade Dice.
    This is how a trade kicker works:
    It's considered a bonus to the player. The bonus counts on the salary cap... but only his original salary is tradable.
    This TK (trade kicker) creates an imbalance for teams wanting to trade for your player (other team takes on more salary than it receives)
    The new 25% rule does make it easier to make a mismatched salary trade now a days.
    There's a clause in Dice's contract that states all of his TK $'s can be used on the option year of his contract in 08/09... that's why Joe wrote up the option year (it's a CBA rule)

So the end result is if we can find a team that can take the difference in salary $'s Dice is very tradable...
    A trade Kicker is not the same as a no trade clause.
    Chauncey also has a TK
  15. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

did you mean to say "gives"?
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I agree with WW and BL. Dyess and Davis are our bench vet. bigs and that's how JD likes his team. And I don't even know who this Darko swat dude is. We had a garbage time guy on the bench last year named Darko but he didn't deserve any PT, according to the coach. So why trade Dyess when we need vet. scorers. We are up to our ears in young talent but that's not "experienced" talent.
  17. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Yeah I'll agree, Dice is a lot better option for keeping. I got a sneaking suspicion though if Darko keeps playing well and earning his minutes, DD is gonna request a trade.
  18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

dale davis has already said he went to indiana last year for playing time, and to the pistons this year to do anything he could to win a championship...i don't see him requesting a trade...he's not going to get $7 million over 2 years anywhere else and he's not going to find a better team to have his change at a ring