Trade Drummond?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jan 16, 2014.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I know that this sounds absolutely absurd but what if this is in fact the key to us getting A LOT better? I love the kid and it would take one helluva deal for me to be OK with seeing him traded, but I have serious doubts about whether or not you can build a title contender with a player like Andre Drummond.

Drummond lacks a post game, can't shoot from the field or the free throw line. As of today he's a younger Deandre Jordan and his ceiling is Tyson Chandler or Dwight Howard; and I'm a person who doesn't believe players like Jordan, Chandler or even Howard can lead you to a title. You need skill like Hakeem, Shaq and Duncan....2 of those 3 can shoot the ball and convert FT's at a pretty decent clip while Shaq was absolutely dominant in the low post.

I guess what I'm saying is that if we're going to pay him max money and build around him- Drummond needs to become more Shaq like as opposed to Howard, or he'll just be a really big guy, putting up big numbers. Do any of us honestly think he'll ever be a the kind of big that can get us 20+ppg by dumping it to him in the post like Shaq? If not.....trading him (as opposed to Greg Monroe) has to be something that the organization isn't absolutely opposed to.
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're crazy.
    S.J. and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Ok, for reference, I actually like a lot of your ideas. I don't like this one.

Drummond is already a top 5 centre going by some stats, and he is only 20 years old. Twenty! And who cares about FT% when you shoot nearly 60%. He is average 13/13 and 2 blocks. That makes him the 3rd best rebounder in the entire league, second best if you go by rebound rate (a far better measure), second best in Offensive Rebound Rate (to Nazr Mohammed who only averages 7 mpg, so its obviously an anomaly). He is also 20th in the entire league in PER and all he does is scrap, alley oops and rebounding. Even with his shocking FT%. In his second year, he is essentially the most effective rebounder in the entire NBA. He is 15th in the league in EWA, a touch behind none other than Dwight Howard, is 7th in blocks per game. He causes an 8 point per 100 possession increase in defensive efficiency. To put that in perspective, Defensive Player of the Year Marc Gasol changes his teams defensive efficiency by 6 points a game. And before you say Dwight Howard scores more, lets remember that Drummond has a usage rate a shade over 15%. Howard? 22%.

I wouldn't accept anything less than a superstar for Drummond because that is what he is.

You have to remember that Drummond is a big positive for this team. Dwight Howard in his prime was almost good as Lebron James. He took a shocking team to the Finals but there wasn't enough to put them over. Shaq is otherworldly and has to be considered a top 10 (if not 5) player ever.
    S.J. and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

What happens in 3 years when Andre is shooting 60% from the FT line and averaging 20/15/3blk a game. We will be blaming Dumars and he will get fat from all the emotional eating.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You guys are caught up on stats. I'm looking at his game. Look at his game....He's in the mold of McGhee, Jordan, Chandler and Howard.....of the 4 only Chandler has a ring and that's because he played alongside Dirk. Defensively, this kid will never be Ben Wallace...offensively he'll never be Shaq......so while he may put up numbers I have some doubt that those numbers will ever translate into playoff wins.

Keep in mind....I'm not saying trade him for just anybody......but he can't be off limits.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond for Wilson Chandler?
    Walter and basketbills like this.
  7. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I'd trade him for LeBron...Probably for Durant, maybe Chris Paul. I wouldn't deal him for Kobe.
    S.J., coynejeremy and linwood like this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We built around ben wallace and it worked. I can see dre getting that good defensively and his offense is already superior. If he does get there, we'd also have him for a much longer run.

In terms of trade, don't we need to wait until he's on his big contract to really trade him for a paul George type?

Dre will always be tradable, barring an injury situation.

Hakeem was a dream (and won titles the two years mj retired). Shaq was a mutant... and had kobe as his pippen. In a slightly different scenario, those guys could have gone through their careers as bridesmaids and not become such examples of success.

You could get a boatload for him relative to his current salary though... enough to unload cv in the middle if a max deal probably.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Tempting!
    basketbills likes this.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

On the contrary....We didn't build around Ben Wallace. EVERYBODY on that championship team got a new deal from Joe EXCEPT Ben.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ben was the heart of the team and set out identity. Sheed was added as the perfect complement after that. Dre can be better than Ben. Where was bw at 20?
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Anyone else remember when being 20 years old and leading the L in FG% while being one of the top rebounders was a good thing?

It's funny listening to the other teams announcers on League Pass and hearing them compliment Drummond throughout the game. Against the Knicks both Mike Breen and Clyde Frazier simultaneously said something like , 'Wow, Andre Drummond is always working!', while we here dream of him leading the second unit.

I have as much if not more faith in Drummond in the post than I do anyone else on the roster. He's made a few sweet moves this year and if they went to him consistently he would get better.

I hope they do trade him or at least sit him down. Monroe might be getting his shots blocked now, but we'll have the last laugh come playoff time when the rest of the league is shutting their guys down because they have sore hands.
    S.J. and coynejeremy like this.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Not defensively. Ben had cat like reflexes, great instinct and and could defend all 5 positions. But keep in mind.....we NEVER had to actually pay Ben what he was worth. We paid Ben about $6M/yr in his prime.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Also, why is being bad or inexperienced at something like Drummond is on defense worse then just not giving a crap like Monroe and Smith?
    S.J. likes this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, we didn't pay any of those much in 04. I guess that was one of the keys to winning for us. Under valued guys. I agree that once you max out dre (or anybody), it becomes more challenging to get there.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Kobe was apparently at my gym working out yesterday afternoon while I was there and I somehow missed him.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

How did you miss him? Were you working out in the Sauna or something?
    linwood likes this.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

No, the jerks that work there give me the stink eye every time I try and pull the exercise bike in there for a ride! They must not have Twitter.
    basketbills likes this.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Also, you guys aren't going to believe this, but Kobe was riding the exercise bike yesterday right out in the middle of the gym!!!! I guess it is better to be lucky than good.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We havent heard much about kander in the last few years.
    I wonder if the rest of the league caught up to him chemistry wise.