1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Trade Drummond?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jan 16, 2014.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I recall two years ago when they stopped a Clipper game as everyone cheered when Deandre Jordan scored his first bucket outside the paint in what I recall was about the 75th game of that season. He was top 5 in FG% that year and you know why. Two years later he still has not developed his game outside the paint.

Dre is top three in FG%.....Can the stat guys tell us how many points he has scored outside the paint? I mean we have seen a few steals and fast break buckets....but will he be able to hit that jumper outside the paint in the future ...if we need him to, say like say Blake Griffin who has finally found it in his fourth year...or will he always be a low post guy?

2. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Dre reminds me a whole lot of Shaq at this stage of his career. You have to remember that Shaq was a junior at LSU when he was Dre's age. Shaq was about an inch and a half taller and 20 pounds heavier. He definitely used that size advantage to bull his way to the hoop. With two more years of school, playing against kids, Shaq was able to develop a point blank jump hook earlier than Dre. It really wasn't until his second year that Shaq started to be able to hit that hook more than 2-3 feet from the basket. Right now, 2-3 feet is where Dre can hit it. He just doesn't get quite as deep into the paint as Shaq did, which limits his opportunities. Dre will learn how to get better position, and with a little practice, he'll be able to push his range out another couple feet. Dre didn't even have a jump hook last year. This year, more often than not, he gets one a game. That shot is coming for him.

Defensively, Shaq was the anchor on a very good college team for three years, back in the day when good college teams routinely had multiple NBA ready players on them. Shaq came into the league knowing exactly where and when to rotate defensively. Dre is just starting to figure that out. His blocks number will take a major leap when he does.

I don't ever see Dre being the 29+ 13+ guy that Shaq was during his prime. However, 23+ 13+ is almost definitely in his future, maybe as early as next year. I wouldn't trade him for anything less than Lebron/Durant. Maybe Hibbert AND George AND a couple of 1st rounders.

roscoe36 likes this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

One of the other teams announcers gave a stat a few weeks ago (That's about 2 games ago in Pistons time) that Drummond had attempted something like 7 shots all year outside of 7-8' of the basket.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's smart. Dunks are high percentage. We just need more space in there so guards can drive and lob.

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

But will he ever shoot the three ball consistently or be able to run the offense? I'd also like to see his towel waving skills before I decide if he's a keeper.

jammertime, S.J., roscoe36 and 2 others like this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would imagine that Drummond would be comparable to Oden if he hadn't been injured.

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

You'd think this was the Dream Team they way people are so eager to sit Drummond down.

coynejeremy likes this.
  8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

It's time to put an end to the Drummond experiment.

Walter, coynejeremy and linwood like this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Yea, I hear ya...mine don't like it when I bring caramel corn into the sauna.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Does it really matter? Orlando surrounded Howard with shooters to solve the spacing problems in the paint and it worked extremely well. Why can't we do the same?

Basketball is a team game. It's about pieces. Dre in 2 years time could be a very big piece of a championship team.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well there's those few times when he may be outside the paint with 3 seconds to shoot and no one to pass it to...because he is the only one open...

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

I know I'm a Drummond slappy, but I like it when he shoots.

Does anyone dread when he's going to the line? I always feel like they're going in.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm not knowledgable on the subject, but you always hear the announcers talk about how his FT shooting form is good one time and then terrible the next - and that that is just mental. Surely he can fix that up then.

Saying that, I do not think we can have a championship calibre team with Dre, Monroe and Smith all shooting so bad from the stripe. I believe one will have to be gone in time. Of the three, as much as you don't want to let (offensive) talent go, I would have to choose Monroe.

Smith once on the right page, playing at PF, gives you a bit of everything and his good games will win you playoff games when he stuffs the stat sheet like in the last few games.

Drummond will be a beast on the defensive end and his good games will provide you with playoff wins as well from his defence and hustle plays like running the floor for dunks, getting rebounds that should not be his but he finds a way, steals on inbounds and the ability to dominate small lineups with a jump hook as it develops.

Monroe's good games are all offence and I do not see them having the same game changing impact. You certainly won't get chase from behind blocks like Smoove did last game against Phoenix. Those are the plays and hustle that will win you games.

The Panda likes this.
  14. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Team Captain 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Do we really need Dre to have offensive game? Is he the guy we need to run the offense through?

I'm just looking at our team as it is, (or for that matter, what it could be)...There won't be enough balls to go around if Dre is the focal point of the offense, and we still have J. Smoove, Jennings, Pope gains confidence and becomes a scorer, and we bring in a quality three...Where are the shots going to come from?

We could win a 'Ship if Dre develops his defensive abilities, rotations, shot blocking, FT shooting, and passing. What this team needs is a DeAndre Jordan/David Lee hybrid. That is the kind of guy that wins us a championship, with our surrounding cast.

*Edit: Obviously, this means we are dumping Monroe...

The Panda likes this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good post. The 20-year-old Drummond is averaging 12.7 ppg already halfway through his second season. How many points do we actually need from him?

Ben Wallace played in the NBA for 16 seasons. The number of times he averaged double-digits: ZERO

The Panda likes this.
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

hitafreethrow likes this.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That might be part of the explanation for why Jennings' amazing run came to an end after the first half. PHO adapted and avoided Drummond. No more fast breaks for us.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This isn't me thinking that Drummond can't play. This is more about the money. When you commit MAXIMUM money to a guy he better be a franchise player that can lead you to a Championship and the only BIG big-man to do that in th emodern era (sans Duncan) was Shaq. Not Dwight Howard....Shaq! If Dre can't be a guy that we can dump the ball into and he dominate the post then he's not THE GUY, he's a piece who needs to play next to THE GUY. Maxing Dre out will make it tough to get THE GUY. And if we get THE GUY, does would it make a difference if his center was Dre or Moose?

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dirk Nowitzki.

S.J. likes this.
  20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Who are you planning to spend that money on? Split it up between two 15 ppg wings? I bet Randle, Wiggins and Parker already have started planning the best way to take their talents to Detroit Beach once they've become superstar free agents.