Trade Drummond?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jan 16, 2014.

1. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

I seriously doubt trading Drummond is the way to go.

The Smith-Monroe-Drummond line-up had potential, but it looks like it's not going to work. We really need to trade either Monroe or Smith. Smith would be ideal, but is probably a lot harder to trade. There's likely a lot of teams interested in Monroe tho.

If I were in charge, I'd given Dolan a call and ask for Amar'e Stoudemire and Tim Hardaway jr. for Josh Smith and BoT. I don't see why the Knicks wouldn't do it. Stoudemire is sitting on a a 2 year, ~$44M contract, but he will most likely never be able to contribute more than 15-20 minutes each game (the ones he dresses for). Having Josh Smith also makes the Knicks more interesting for Melo. And if he leaves NY, they will still have a highlight machine in Josh Smith to bring the crowd to the game.

We could start Jennings, KCP, Hardaway jr., Monroe and Drummond with Amar'e/Stuckey/Singler off the bench.

As for trading Monroe, we should target young, promising wings, like Parsons, Klay Thompson, Kawhli Leonard, Jeff Geen etc.

2. linwood

linwood All-Star

Max keeps advertising Single Asian Women to me. What's up with that, Max?

Mogilny likes this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Drummond had 10 offensive rebounds. Ten. Offensive. Rebounds. Even shooting 40% and turning the ball over 10% of the time that's still going to translate into 6-8 points on the scoreboard.

We don't need him to be the 'go-to' guy in crunch. Teams, IMO, don't need a Kobe. A guy who will always take the last shot. Everyone on a professional basketball team should be willing to do that. We should want to be like the Spurs, not the Knicks. You take the best shot available, not the only one available to your star player.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Again......guys like Drummond (Jordan, Chandler, McGhee, Howard) don't LEAD you to a title but they eat up a huge chunk of your salary cap. Now, Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem......are all guys with an offensive repertoire that can get you a bucket or an Ast or a hockey Ast. If Dre can't become that kind of player......Id think twice about paying him $15M/yr.

5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Duncan and Shaq both couldn't win titles by themselves. In fact, aside from Wilt Chamberlain, I cannot think of a single centre who has taken a poor team all the way, with the exception of Dwight Howard who did it in Orlando. So really, what you are saying is, unless Drummond becomes Wilt Chamberlain, we should toss him aside like a piece of garbage.

This team needs well rounded players at all positions + a star. Not the GOAT of the centre position and the flotsam that we currently have. Even if Drummond became some Mailman/Shaq/Duncan/Nowitzki hybrid overnight, this team still couldn't compete with the best teams in the league. It really is that simple.

And I cannot think of a single GM who would shake his head at paying Drummond $15m a year, even now. This guy is simple defensive rotations away from being right up there with Gasol/Noah, and a 5 foot jumpshot from being better than all of them. He is already more accomplished than DJordan and McGee, so we can stop with the comparisons to them - the only facet they share is that they are all athletically gifted. As far as I'm concerned, I'd take Drummond over Hibbert and its not a hard choice.

Ernie the Slow Adult and TaS like this.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The problem is the Pistons don't even try. It's all Jennings and Smith and pardon me if the last game was different than the last 12. The only time Drummond works on his post game is summer league.

7. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

The max for Drummond will probably be around $75M over 5 years, since he will have to get All-NBA or MVP honors to be able to get more (a la DRose)

Paying ~$15M/season for Drummond is nothing. Half of what we paid CV... almost what we paid Gordon.. And it's not like we extend this years Drummond (who's avg almost 13/13/1.4/1,6), but Drummond in 2.5 seasons.

Also, note the age difference between Drummond and the likes of McGee etc. Did you even know McGee is 26? Drummond will probably average 18/15 on 60% shooting when he's 26!

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The problem here is that Drummond may not want to be a Piston after this contract.

del likes this.
  9. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Same about Monroe.

Nemo likes this.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I wish all the Pistons front court players had Drummond's offensive limitations.

coynejeremy and The Panda like this.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's what they thought about McGee and Jordan when they were 20.

12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

13. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

He's not untradable, but it would have to be a lot, and it would have to be to the western conference. I can't imagine a trade scenario that I would be comfortable with.

He has weaknesses, but so did Ben Wallace - that tells me that you can build around him. And remember, Ben didn't really show until he was 26-27; Drummond is only 20. Drum is more athletic, a better rebounder, and better offensively. The difference, of course, is that Drummond seems to lack the killer instinct, work ethic, and defensive IQ that Wallace had, but he's worth the money that you'd pay him to keep him here.

Plus, he's only 20 years old. When I was 20 I was working at a movie theater worrying if I was ever going to get laid (spoiler alert: the answer turned out to be yes). Drummond is the centerpiece of an underperforming sports franchise. He can be taught to rotate on defense, and I have to believe that his free throw shooting will continue to improve once he gets his lower and upper bodies in sync. That just leaves motivation and killer instinct as the key issues, but that can be easily supplemented by surrounding him with character guys.

The problem is that Joe's teams have no vision. He collects whatever talent he can find and trusts his coaches to put it together. Good coaches (Carlisle, Brown) can do that. Bad ones (Curry, Cheeks) can't. I firmly believe that a good coach would be able to come in here, move one of either Monroe or Drummond to the bench, force Smith to use his inside game, get the team to move the ball around more on offense, and get them to play more coherently on defense.

Long story short - you don't give up on a talent like Drummond simply because he has yet to become what you want him to become, unless you get an offer that you just can't refuse in return. You never want to be the GM that traded away Babe Ruth.

J-Train and TaS like this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What's up with his two handed release in his fts? It's causing left and right misses mainly. Usually bigs have trouble with touch, but his is ok.

I'd have him doing the one handed shot drill on fts, but they are going another direction.

Oden was better as a one handed lefty for osu than drum is normal.

15. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Perkins is a weird player. In high school, he had great footwork and a very nice touch around the basket. He had "special player" written all over him. He's one of those players who seems to get worse every year. I'm not sure how that's possible.

He probably should have gone to school for a few years and developed his post game.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  16. J-Train

Rick Carlisle would win 55 games with this roster.

kpaav likes this.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What if Carlisle fell in love with Kyle "Man Song" Singler?

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He might run the table (82-0)...

dba likes this.
  19. J-Train

He probably would. He played Mike Curry 22 minutes a night, and that guy actually did suck.

Still win 55 games.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I have heard that coaches only play Singler if they want to destroy their team and the fabric of space time in our universe. I also heard that Satan is terrified of Singler, whose gaze alone can purify the soul of the most wretched demon.

Sorry, I watch a lot of Supernatural ...

J-Train, dba, basketbills and 3 others like this.