Trade Talk

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Feb 29, 2012.

1. max

max All-Star

This is all speculation of course. They are proposing trading BK, BG and flipping picks with Boston for Rhondo and Allen. Would be a bold move. If we could have some assurance of locking up Rhondo long term then I would be tempted to do it. Does mean giving up a lottery pick that could potentially be very sweet.

Trade Deadline is March 15.

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2012/...detroit-partner-with-philadelphia-new-york-or
  2. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Posted by a guy who is not a Knight fan. Dude's never had a good thing to say about Knight that I can remember since we drafted the kid.

Putting that aside, that's a bad trade and would mean we get Stuck/Bynum at PG again and old man Ray in the starting lineup alongside old man Tay, plus Rondo, a guy Boston's been trying to trade for YEARS with no takers. And he's not going to resign here. He's going to want to go to a contender; we're not it. We're rebuilding. There are no quick fixes here. Boston gambled their entire future for a title, good for them, but now they're in decline again and will go into rebuilding mode perhaps as soon as this offseason. There's been talk that Ray and KG could also potentially retire after the season. I don't see how this makes the team any better long term, I just don't, even if Boston considers that trade, which they probably won't. The Pistons are trying to go younger themselves, and trading our rookie PG on a rookie scale contract 3 months into his career for a guy who's even older than Tay/a jerk named Rondo, and a middle of the pack pick just to get out of BG's contract is a terrible idea, hypothetical or not. This is how Billups-AI, Afflalo-2nd rounder trades are made. Armchair GMs. smh.
    Nemo likes this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know how long Rondo has on his contract, but really?

Allen + Rondo in the guards, Munroe and Tay - All of a sudden our team is +.500 if not better. You might not like Rondo, but that guy is seriously seriously good. And Ray Allen - twilight of his career and he shoots better than our team, put together.

And this is all on the side next to the trade options that having someone like Rondo could give us with said contender teams. You want three ways with good picks, you had better start helping the Lakers make a finals run. They are the only people with the push to get you those picks. Sure we could go on our 11% (if not less) chance of drafting Davis, possibly MKG. And then what? We have one year to prove to Munroe et al that we can make a run deep into playoff territory.

The draft build sucks. I don't want to get rid of Knight. I love the guy. But Rondo and Allen? Rondo is a powerful PG, and Allen is a shoot first SG with a laser eye and great basketball IQ. He can play 25-30 a game easily for at least two more years, if not more. Gives us perimeter options and experience. All of a sudden we have a good veteran and we can get rid of Tay, FA the 3 spot and start looking decent.
  4. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Dumars is not "jumping on a gun" type. He has given to all his vets 2nd chances. Therefore he reacts a year or two later. From Pistons perspective - to give away 1st round pick for practically unusable "cap relief" ( Allen's contract is 1 year shorter than BG's, IIRC) is not worth of it.
  5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I'll make it clearer for you. I detest Rajon Rondo. But beyond that, I do. not. like the trade as proposed. I love Ray, but I refuse to give up a high lottery pick in a top heavy draft for a shooter rental and a PG who, while good, can't shoot for ****, leaving us with a backcourt who will allow teams to just collapse into the paint every game. Rondo's contract, signed in 2009 was 5 years, 55 million. That's 11 million per year, around the ball park of BG's deal. Ray Allen's deal expires at the end of the season. It's 10 million a year. He's not going to stay for a rebuild unless we drastically overpay. You can get him in FA if you really want to, without giving up a high lottery pick...if he doesn't retire. Tay? I'd be happy to see the back of him, but he's not going anywhere. And unless my math skills are failing me, the salaries don't match either.
  6. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It's not a bad trade, but I'm against give away our possible Top 5 pick.

And I like Knight, I would trade Stuckey before Knight, everyday.
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The last time we didn't trade for these two players, It set the franchise back 3 years.

It's sad when you have to make this kind of deal just to get out from under Ben Gordon's contract. ...a contract that Joe signed on his own free-will. This is the reality of the situation though.
    Opportunities to unload Gordon aren't going to come along every day. I'd almost consider doing this if we could keep our pick.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

This deal sucks for any fan of the Pistons. I'd consider it if we didn't have to throw in our first round pick.
    Makes better sense to have 2 first rounders if we give away BK. Rondo won't stay with us, and certainly won't play well with Stuckey. Deal would make great sense if we just sub in Stuck for BK........

We'd lose two contracts and Amnesty CG and be free...........
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes from Malcom Forbes:

I don't see us trading our way out of this mess anytime soon.
  10. BallDon'tLie

I agree.
    It's going to be a long slow process to climb back to mediocrity. Joe has eliminated any possibility of a short cut by stockpiling bad contract after bad contract. It sort of seems like the he sees a divorce on the horizon and he's maxing out all of the credit cards before the papers are filed.

I hope that this isn't the case. I like Joe and want him to succeed.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think I've seen JD smile since the AI press conference.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

The phrase, "long slow process to climb back to mediocrity" doesn't seem like a goal that the Pistons would want to advertise, but certainly seems spot on. I still think that this situation was a matter of JD seeing the writing on the wall........and taking care of a few of his favorites.........Stuckey, Rip, and Tay.
  13. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with the first statement; I didn't see the pick swap in the trade suggestion and was all like "WTF why would any Pistons fan hate this trade?" With the swap included, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger; if the pick-swap was top-5 protected, I'd be all for it (although I seriously doubt Boston would ever do it with that stipulation). As much as I like Knight, Rondo is just flat-out better than he is right now, and you're gambling that Knight becomes a better player by refusing that trade. Allen is an expiring contract, which means this offseason the Pistons can amnesty Villanueva and unload two terrible contracts in one trade.

Let's say, though, that Detroit pulls the trigger, and trades their 6th (current) for Boston's 15th (as hypothesized in the article). At 15, the Pistons get John Henson, Fab Melo, or Meyers Leonard. Compare the two different lineups:

PG Rondo
    SG Stuckey
    SF Prince
    PF Monroe
    C Henson

vs.

PG Knight
    SG Stuckey
    SF Prince
    PF Moultrie (with the 6th)
    C Monroe

I personally think the first lineup is better. The writer is right... Rondo is a top-5 PG. The only issue is whether he's a locker room cancer or not (if he is, I don't bother).
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Read carefully. The trade is not about acquiring Ray Allen. Allen and Gordon's salaries pretty much match. The actual trade is for us to get out of Gordon's contract a year early by having Ray Allen walk at the end of the season. A Gordon-Allen trade would be absolutely wonderful for us.

But, it would suck for the Celtics. In order to make it work, the proposal is to swap picks and point guards. Rondo is a stud, and was already the alpha dog in a championship team. Knight has the potential to become a very good PG. Rondo IS already a very good PG. It would be a good swap, but that would be a start. We would definitely need a good shooting threat to pair with Rondo. Ray Allen can fill that gap until the summer, and well, shooters are a dime a dozen in this league. With Rondo and Monroe you have a fantastic core. You'd need to add a good shooter, which is a lot easier to do than finding a stud PF or C or PG. Stuckey becomes your 3rd guard.

Gordon-Knight for Allen-Rondo is a fantastic deal for us. The only sticking point would be the swapping of picks. Gordon-Knight-Lottery pick for Allen-Rondo-mid 1st rounder is a bad deal. But, as the article suggests, if we keep winning and are projected to pick aroun 8-10, it becomes feasible. BK/BG/8th vs Rondo/Allen/18th is a good deal.

I really like BK. He's fun to watch. But, he's not reason enough to pass on dumping Gordon a year early while acquiring an elite PG.
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This kid LED a lockerroom that had THREE HOF players. He was able to handle the egos of KG and Pierce. He's not a locker room cancer; he's a locker room leader.
  16. BallDon'tLie

When it all boils down to it, the Pistons would get the best two players in the deal and come out the best financially. The pick-swap is the only sticking point.

...But.

You have to consider this angle:

Subtract Ray Alen and Rajon Rondo from the Celtics in the 2nd half of the season and the Celtics' record is going to slide big time. This is a team that currently finds itelf one game under .500 and the 8th seed if the playoffs were to start today. It's entirely possible that the Celts would end up a lottery team and the Pistons would only be sliding down 3-4 picks.

If this deal is legit, Joe has an opportunity to erase what is possibly the worst free agent signing in franchise history while picking up a t0p-5 NBA PG. The only real price to pay for doing this would be to slide down a couple of spots in a loaded draft.

I don't like this deal.
    I LOVE this deal!
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is not a legit deal or even an actual rumor. This is just a post by some random casual Internet fan.
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yep....until I read it in Forbes I won't believe it.
  19. BallDon'tLie

:bs:

I got suckered.
    I was too lazy to read the link.
    I saw Walter's comment and I assumed that this was an actual qualified rumor.

I feel like such a heel.

...Ok, so hypethetically, I'd do that deal in a freaking heartbeat.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey and Rondo sounds like one of the worst 3-point shooting back courts since the invention of the 3-pointer.
    S.J. and Nemo like this.