[Trade] TJ Ford - Charlie Villaneuva

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jun 30, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Who else has heard that T.J. Ford was traded for Charlie Vilanueva?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Re: Trade

Source?
  3. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

It's been confirmed, multiple sources.

I like the trade for both teams. Mo Williams probably outperformed Ford last year for the Bucks, and they can use the MLE and/or a Magloire trade to acquire a new PG if they don't think Williams is a starter. Villanueva is a starting-caliber power forward to play off of Bogut as their starting center.

For the Raptors, they needed a point guard who can play transition basketball for Colangelo's vision of a Suns-east style team.
  4. roscoe36

Holy COW! Confirmed!

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/14944121.htm
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Mike James is wide open:eyebrows::heh::bounce:
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Interesting. Veeeerrry interesting. But doubtful.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Colangelo has pulled off some nice moves. I think we might see the Raptors in the playoffs if that Bargnani guy ends up being good. I don't think the Raptors keep Mike James. Does that mean Mike comes here? Maybe.
  8. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:puke:

I'd prefer Blalock.
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Don't you want a veteran guy just in case he doesn't work out?
  10. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Sure. But Mike James is everything I hate about Chauncey, only much worse (well, he can finish a layup, at least), and the insignificant non-contribution he made to the 2004 playoff run doesn't make me ignore that, as apparently it does others.

That's not to mention that his massively inflated ego has convinced him that he's a MLE-or-higher player who's too good to come off the bench.
  11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I don't know how you can say he has a massively inflated ego. Mike James stepped up his game the last two years big time. He average 20 pts a game last season and 5.8 assists a game. That is nothing to sneeze at besides that he also has an NBA championship ring. He is getting up there in age which hurts his value but he brings experience that would help a young team with a solid star in place like Cleveland.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I see your side now. It would be nice to get a guy that gives a much different look from Chauncey. If we can't get that guy though we could try getting Mike.
  13. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Mike James isn't coming back to the Pistons. That will never...ever..happen.

As for the trade, I guess it leaves me scratching my head. The Bucks pick up a 6'10+ inside-out power-forward for an undersized PG who can't shoot. Sure, Ford is the kind of fast paced PG Colangelo has been looking for, but you would think that he could have recieved more than Ford for Charlie V.

I'm guessing Charlie V averages 16-17 and 8 next year, minimum. Both the Bucks and the Raps look to be on the upswing.
  14. roscoe36

This is a big, big trade for Toronto.

Sure Ford can't shoot, but his ability to drive and penchant for giving up the ball will make Chris Bosh one of the top 3 power forwards in the game next season.

Charlie V is pretty good, but he's a second or third wheel in Milwaukee. Mo Williams is more of a shooter and less of a passer than Ford. Add in Mike Redd, and Andrew Bogut, I don't see Charlie V putting up Sheed-esque #s. Maybe I'm wrong....
  15. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

There might be some truth to what you say, Roscoe. If you believe the rumblings out of Toronto, there were some concerns over Charlie's work ethic. The were some in the organization who believe that Charlie V may have peaked, due to his conditioning habits (or lack there of), and they didn't want to ruin his trade value by exposing that. If what they say is true, then I'm not sure I would want him after he signs a big contract.

I think that he'll put up numbers for the Bucks because of the fact that he'll have Bogut and Simmons on either side of him. Simmons is a great garbage guy who doesn't really need to dominate the ball. Bogut is a facilitator as much as a scorer. I see Charlie V as the second option behind Redd.