Training Camp sneaking up on us

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 2, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well Training camp is only a month away... this one could prove to be the most interesting yet.

There's going to be some fierce battles for PT and roster spots.

Just a brief look at the competition:

Delfino vs. Dupree- Skilz and scoring vs. athletism & Defense

Delfino vs. Evans/Acker- Can Delfino take any minutes away from this well rounded player?... Is Acker in the backup SG mix?

Darko vs. Davis- Can DMC show that he's just as physical as DD?
    Is he ready to be a PTPer?

Darko vs. Ben/Sheed- Let the battle for minutes begin.

Acker vs. Hunter- smooth well rounded rookie vs the pitbull vet.

Acker vs. Arroyo- length and athletisism vs savy playmaker.

Jmax vs. Dyess/Dupree/Darko/Delfino/Amir- throw the ball on the court and let the best man win.

Unfortunately for us we won't get to see the inside battles... but this preseason has to be one of the most anticipated in several years with so many unknown factors.

Can Darko find his game? Can he translate practice excellence to real game situations?

Is Jmax capable of backing up Tayshaun?

Is Delfino's injury plagued rookie season just a bad memory... can he show foot speed on defense?

Will Flip open up the offense and bring out the potential of the young guys?

Will Arroyo settle into a well rounded floor leader/scorer?

Who will win the heated battle for backup minutes?

One month away... Can't wait... (better stop now... starting to sound like a Batman intro :) )

I hope several board members can make it down to the open practice at U of D and the preseason games... so you can become our eyes and ears... we're counting on you.

Ty, you gonna try to make it down to U of D this year?
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I concur. It will be up to Flip to keep this diplomatic. I would hate to see team chemistry hurt by bad feeling caused by people not getting minutes they think they deserve (Delfino). But the reality is that you have to fight for minutes in the NBA. Will be real interesting to see who is left standing and ends up sitting.:)
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I PM'd Ty and asked him to let us know. It would be great to get some training camp reports. Personally, I am dying to know how Ben is shooting the THREE this summer. ;)
  4. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

What have we got here...

PG - Billups, Arroyo, Hunter
    SG - Hamilton, Acker, Delfino
    SF - Prince, Evans, Maxiel
    PF - Sheed, Dyess, Johnson
    C - Ben, Davis, Darko

Right? (starters, then others in no particular order)

I'm not sure how Delfino, Maxiel, or Johnson fit in.

Is Dupree still around? I thought he was out when Evans came in.

I thought we lost Dupree, Ham, and EC.

That would put us at 15 players, is that the limit?

If so, this is very exciting. I wish we could be there to see what happens. I think with the 3 rooks in camp, Darko will assert himself more.

I don't know if Maxiel will be able to play SF. I guess I don't really know much about him. He isn't a Corliss type of guy that doesn't really fit in either SF or PF is he? I thought he was projected to be an undersized PF.

And will Delfino and Evans be battling for the SF back-up or is it already Evans' to lose?

Will Hunter relax most of the season, and let Arroyo take the back-up point role?

Very interesting stuff. I wish we had a fly on the wall in there.
  5. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

At this point in Hunter's career, I think he realizes where he stands with the team (as do the rest of the players). We're not getting any younger, guys like Hunter, Dice (knee injury) and DD need to rest for the playoffs and not overwork / risk injury on themselves.

I think Larry Brown did a good job last year having the players ready at the beginning of the playoffs by resting them in the final games, and we know in the east it's not the hardest thing in the world to make the playoffs.

Detroit's a championship team and the regular season means nothing in the playoffs. We got guys that want a ring, more important than play time and I'm sure they know as much as we do how important it is for the bench guys that WEREN'T part of the big 7 last sesaon (Darko, Delfino, Arroyo, and the new rookies) to step up.
  6. who_dat

who_dat Second Round Draft Pick

hey what's up mercury when is open practice .or do you when it was last year so i can get a time frame!!!
  7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

From what I've read on the detnews forum I'd say Amir Johnson is already assured of a roster spot due to his dominant performance in Vegas.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ham and EC are indeed gone, but Dupree is signed by the Pistons through this coming season. Right now, the Pistons have 16 guys under contract. This surely makes for an interesting camp.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lots of questions, Mercury, but here are the answers you're looking for:

yes, yes, no, no, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes,
    (1st game off the bench, in order: McDyess, Arroyo, Delfino, Davis),
    yes (Ty will make it to U of D).
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Interresting thread, this is indeed one of the most interesting training camps indeed. I like wanting to see Amir and Ack this year and trying to see what DosLos will do. Last year we were talking about Nigel Dixon and Smush. Good job Joe. I don't think any of us will be cutting the TV off or leaving the arena after the starters sit after a few mins, heck for me that's when the games will be starting.
  11. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I agee Kgreg

One thing that really makes this TC intriguing is that the collection of talent that Joe has assembled is very unique. He has some many different types of players in camp. Arroyo as a backup PG is NOTHING like Hunter. Delfino at the backup 2/3 is the quite a bit different than Mo Evans. Delfino is thought of as an offesive threat with decent ball handling (can play some point in a pinch at 6-6) and can pass the ball while Evans is thought of as more of a defensive stopper and opportunistic slasher-type scorer/rebounder from the 2/3 spot. Darko vs Dale is a difference because Dale is thought of as a tough rebounder / Shot blocker while Darko gets the label as "soft" (I don't agree but ya know). But Darko on offense Darko is much more versatile-passing-shooting whereas Dale is thought of as an offensive rebounder put-back guy.

There are so many sub-plots this TC. I'm really anxious to see it in FULL EFFECT. I just pulled out some of last year's exhibition games on VHS and was surprised to see Darko-Delfino-Dupree all on the court at the same time. But LB wasn't there that night. It was the pre-season game versus MIAMI in Little Rock and those young kids showed quite a few flashes in that game. Then Poof NO PT IN THE REG SEASON. I feel much more optimistic about the young guys getting a fair shot this season.
  12. roscoe36

McCoskey Update

The Pistons will have 18 players at the start of training camp. Fifteen will have guaranteed contracts, including first-round draft pick Jason Maxiell and (Amir) Johnson. Acker's contract is not guaranteed.
    The two other nonguaranteed invitees are forward Alejandro "Bimbo" Carmona (Puerto Rico) and center Andreas Glyniadakis (Greece), the team's second-round pick in 2003.
  13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Missing in Action

I haven't heard jack about this dude this year. Is this guy injured or something? Did he even play in the summer leagues this year? I know he was on the roster but I don't recall seeing him play any minutes. My recollection was that he was a raw 7 footer with potential. ..then >poof< he disappears!
  14. roscoe36

Glynnie has played very little anywhere. As far as I can tell, he's played even less than Darko before he came to the states.

I really wish Joe would use some common sense and leave the guy in Europe to develop. If he can't earn a starting role in Europe, I don't see how he can be any kind of contributor as 24 year old playing less than 10 MPG in Greece.

http://www.aek.com/basketball/roster/andreas_glyniadakis.htm

I should add that Massimo from the DetNews has said this guy moves as slow as an elephant based on what he has seen.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Shaping the bench

First I'm amazed that mcCoskey is still on the Det News payroll after dissapearing all summer... but at least we heard from Hammond.
    He made it sound like they weren't sure about sending the kids down to the NBDL.... but honestly what other options do they have?

Could Glynnie be one of the players sent to the Patriots?:usa:
    He probably needs more PT for development than the other rookies.

We would still have too many roster spots filled... I don't think it's likely that we'll make any 2-4-1 deals since most teams are in the same boat as we are (having to trim their roster)

We could outright release one or two of our rookies... that's a tough pill since we have the new minor league in place.

Delfino could ask for and receive a buyout... only chance of this happening is if one of our other sg/sf's stepped up and won the spot over Delfino.

We could release Dupree and someone else (Glynnie?)... still having more players than spots available.

There's the overseas option... why would this be better than the NBDL for their development?... we also wouldn't have the option of calling them up in case of an injury.

Somethings gotta give.... care to make a guess before camp starts?
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Seems like we were discussing this problem of multiple NBA teams sending players to the same NBDL team months ago. Might just be a little posturing on the part of Hammond and the Pistons ...because there is a very real possibility that a guy that should be getting major minutes in the NBDL could be chained to the bench. Not everyone is a great judge of talent...say for example the NBDL coach gets future stars Andreas Glyniadakis and Amir Johnson on the Patriots but hasn't been reading the detnes forum??
  17. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Nbdl

Send the three guys overseas. The writer have a point in saying they might not have the minutes on the NBDL. I was thinking the same thing the other day. The options are: the NBDL either needs more teams or every team have to create a team and send their talent there (like in baseball):)
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Stuff about our roster

Glyniadakis was reported to be out of shape, but he was also reported to be majorly slimmed down for summer league, which he ended up missing due to a slight injury. I can't remember where I read it now, but I remember it being said that Dumars decided it was time to evaluate Glyniadakis and Paulding and let them go if he was not going to use them. Paulding played plenty in that summer league, and Dumars saw what he needed to know and released him. Glynny has not got that chance so he will now get it in camp.

Yes, both Glyniadakis and Bimbo could end up down at Fayetteville, or with any of the other 7 NBDL teams if one will take them. Each team drafted 10 players, and each team also has up to 6 (or 8 in most cases) players that could be sent down to them. For Fayettville, that number is 6. Obviously, we are talking about a very volatile roster. Just like in the bigs, a player who is drafted by you often has no guarantee of being signed by you. Further, a lot of those players get near zilch for playing. I think the salary cap is about 160.000. Thats an average of about $16 thou per player. Generally, a lot of these guys could go over to Europe and make somewhere between 50 thou and 150 thou depending on their talent level. (can't remember source, just browsing stuff I read doing a google search.) In other words, players don't play in that league for the money. Its the exposure to the NBA atmosphere, the hope to play in the NBA someday that is the sole allure of the league.

So basically, if Glynny and Bimbo want to go that route, and Dumars wants them to go that route, and will recommend to these teams that they take these players, no reason why they would not.

Another option for Glynny is that we decide he has a lot of promise, and that he should go to Europe for a year. If he does have that kind of promise, he should be able to hook up with some team or another. By the way, forget minutes and playing time for a moment and look at his shooting percentage. The guy is skilled. And if he has slimmed down and has mobility, (and we know he certainly has the height and bulk) he just might pan out for us someday. We would still have his draft rights.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

posted by "himat" in a different thread.:"Its almost here. The preseason is less than 2 weeks away. So who do you think is going to do good, and make the rotation and who do you think won't." Figured I would answer it here since there already seems to be quite a discussion on the subject here.

Mat, that is the right question, sort of. But maybe the right question is how many guys will make the rotation, to least an extent. I believe the Pistons will be albe to carry a total of 15 guys on their roster this season. And if you stick on the roster, you probably will get at least some playing time.

The following 15 players are signed beyond just being a camp invitee. These 15 are actually signed with guaranteed contracts for the upcoming season: Billups, Arroyo, Hunter, Rip, Delfino, Mo Evans, Tay, Amir Johnson, Ronald Dupree, Jason Maxiell, Ben, Dyess, Sheed, Darko, Dale Davis. One player has a non-guaranteed contract, Alex Acker. His contract becomes guaranteed only if he sticks with the team until January. Then you got to guys, Alejandro (Bimbo) Carmona, and Andreas Glyniadakis, who just have camp contracts and nothing more.

I doubt that anyone expects Alejandro to make the squad. From what I read, sorry, can't remember the source, probably a chat room posting, the Pistons are trying to get Alejandro a position on one of the NBDL teams. But you never know. Also, apparently, Alejandro can play some D.

Dumars stated when he drafted Acker that he expects Acker to make the squad. But that would be a 16th guaranteed contract where you can only have 15. So who might go. There are two players who might not stick with the team. Hunter might find he is replaced with the combined defensive talents of Acker, Mo Evans, and Dupree. Dupree has his spot in turn threatened by Amir Johnson, who is even more athletic than Dupree, and who even has quite a good offensive game around the basket.

But note, I said there are two guys who might not be with the team in Hunter and Dupree. That could leave room for both Acker and one of either Carmona or Glyniadakis.

Here is the 15 man roster I am guessing leaves camp:

CB, Arroyo, Acker for point guards in that order.

Rip, Delfino, Mo Evans at shooting guard.

Tay, Jason Maxiell, and Amir Johnson at small forward.

Ben, Dyess at power forward.

Sheed, Darko, Dale Davis, Glyniadakis at center.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

summing up my last post just a bit

You could make three decent units out of that roster. Our usual starters. Arroyo, Delfino, Maxiell, Dyess, Darko for the 2nd unit. And a third unit of Acker, Mo Evans, Amir Johnson, Dale Davis, and Andreas Glyniadakis that I bet could stay on the floor a bit with either of the 1st two units.