traitors?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

"It was a little bit amazing to be honest," Williams said. "Coming out to warm up you hear all those Cavs fans, and it was kind of jokingly going around the locker room that 'Hey man, we are at the Q (Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland).' When we made shots we heard cheers, when heard boos when they did something. I've never experienced anything like that in my life."

Maybe traitor is too strong of a word, but as a Piston fan, I was disgusted to hear what happened at the Palace yesterday. It was a nice run our players have given us these past 6 years. They deserved to go out with a little more respect than what occured yesterday. In fact, it kind of makes me angry to read about these Cavs laughing at us on our home court. I take it as a slap in the face by our "fans".
  2. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We have had a great team for the past six years and yes they sucked this year, but to hear all of the cheering for the cavs was such a disrespect that the players and fans do not deserve. They should have given those tickets to people around the detroit area.
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Has the organization commented on this? Special-inviting Cavs fans was a travesty that they shouldn't get away with.
  4. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

I don't know if any of you heard it but I swear I heard and MVP chant yesterday.
  5. coynejeremy

The AP reported it too. I read it on ESPN.
  6. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Our fans have been betrayed by Pistons management, driven away by ticket prices, and the venue is still unfairly located.

Not surprised they stopped showing up. And the blue collar fans were chased away a few years ago. Be honest, who wants to identify with this group of creamsicles?
  7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Guys...you ARE aware that the organization made a push to sell playoff tickets to Cavs fans, right?

This had nothing to do with our supposed "fans" turning on the Pistons. It had everything to do with the organization making an effort to reap the benefits of playoff ticket sales without actually doing the work of putting an acceptable product on the floor that actual Pistons fans would pay to come and watch.
  8. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Exactly. This isn't about Pistons fans suddenly rooting for the Cavs. It is about Cavs fans out buying the Stones fans at the Palace. Let's see: economic crisis, economic crisis, economic crisis. There's three good reasons.
  9. coynejeremy

Of course. But the nail in the coffin was the organization inviting the Cavs season ticket holders to purchase unbought tickets. I mean, who does that?

PS: Has this story actually been verified?
  10. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I saw the report on ESPN news about the organization selling to Cavs season ticket holders.
  11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Lol, true. Remember when the Palace was actually a raucous intimidating place for opponents to play?

YouTube - Tayshaun Prince blossoming
  12. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

I don't know if you watched the game on TV but they actually mentioned it on the national Telecast. For me it was pretty humiliating.
  13. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Thank you for setting me straight. I was not aware that the ORGANIZATION did it. So my beef is not with the fans but with management. They are the traitors. If I was in charge, someone would lose their job over this. I do not blame the fans for not wanting to show up. It was all about selling a piece of our turf to the enemy that rankled me. Inexcusable. If I was a player, I'd ask to be traded if I wasn't offered an apology. It's called respecting your players and your organization. Having your players back when things go bad. The Piston organization sold their players out in order to make a few bucks. Sad.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Folks, It was a going out of business sale. Its all about marketing and making sure everyone gets paid before they close the doors.

Offering playoff tickets to the fans of the opposing teams happens in all arenas according to ABC announcer and Michigan native Mike Tirico. The NBA wants to show as many fans in the seats possible and the arenas want to make as much mula as possible before they shut down the season.

The Clippers were out of it [strike]January [/strike] December, so as the season wound down I received e-mails from the organization for every game for $5 tickets just to get me down to Staples to pay for $10 parking, buy a $8 Big Mac, buy a $5 soda or beer and possibly grab some supposedly marked down jerseys.

As far as the fans cheering..those were probably real Cavs fans who got those tickets and followed their team to the palace.

I have seen the Pistons play in Orlando, Dallas, Oakland, and of course LA, and believe me since the Pistons won all of the games, we visiting Piston fans were the loudest and were the last ones to leave the arena cheering.....DETROIT BASKETBALLL...those were the days

Hey Darth, this is my 4800th post :)
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Wow, I don't know how I got this post police reputation.

However, make sure you take your butt and put #4801 in the fishing thread.:MusicBigGrin:
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Just roll with it. Neil Young once said, if you play the wrong note, just keep playing it, and people will think it is part of the song.
  17. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

I've been to many Piston games down here in Atlanta where I live currently. Before the Hawks started winning, I believe that many nights, there were actually MORE Piston fans in Phillips Arena than Hawks fans.

There are many "bandwagon ass cats" in sports. Your team wins, people show up. They start losing, and fans are nowhere to be found. It's really a "what have you done for me lately" business.

The true fan is a dying breed.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think there is a difference between Cavs fans that live in MI buying tickets and cheering for their team and the Pistons team recruiting fans from Cleveland to attend the game.
  19. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Very true.

But, I still think it is funny that the Phillips Arena box office calls to offer me tickets for anytime the Pistons come in town based on my buying history.:D

That is similar.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe they just think you are an Atlanta fan that really hates the Pistons?