traitors?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm not David Stern. I actually like the Pistons.:D
  2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

You mean Stern doesn't like the Pistons? That's news to me. :sssh:
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

There was an article saying they do it every year and it's nothing new, but i'm too angry to check. I have no words for Pistons management on this one. They already threw away the season and then added insult to injury. I'm not sure how you bring anyone on this team back at this point.
  4. indiefan23

indiefan23 First Round Draft Pick

I think booing when your team is underachieving is one thing. Its saying you're better then this. But when a team is so obviously falling apart and going to be blown up like the Pistons its pretty low class to boo. Like kicking a sick dog.
  5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yep... like pouring salt over an open cut.
  6. max

max All-Star

I have mixed feeling about this. On the one hand if Piston fans had went then it would not have been a problem. On the other the Palace may have went too far actually recruiting Cav season ticket holders to come. Its different if they want to buy tickets and make the effort for tickets that Piston fans do not want.

Its obviously making a lot of people upset and is not a good move for selling tickets next year. This will probably blow up in their faces.

Cav fans already had their revenge 2 years ago when the upset us in the ECF. Thats the thing - what was there to be thankful for.
  7. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I get everybody being irritated by this, i really do. I'm irritated too.

But, um, last time I checked professional sports was a business. As fans, we forget that at our own emotional peril. They (meaning the owners of that business) do not actually care about us or our feelings, except insofar as we express those feelings through the expenditure of dollars. No different than any other business.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm grinning from ear to ear.

You're a regular Francisco D'Anconia.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Prof,

I totally agree with you which is precisely why I haven't posted anything to this thread on the topic (I posted, but it was the usual Darth unrelated babble).
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

200 Cleveland fans accepted the offer.

That is not good business. You make $4,000, but you have national announcers broadcast what you did. Can't be a net gain for the business in the medium run.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, I thought of that too. Nobody said it was a good business decision. Only that it was a business decision.
  12. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I get that this is a business. I really do. But, um, the last time I checked professional sports was a business, and in a business, you don't backstab your primary paying customers by undercutting your product to further the product of your competitor. You don't slap your primary paying customers in the face, nor your employees (your players). You just don't do that. If the owners of the Pistons do not care about the ones who buy their product or the people who work for them, then its time for them to either close up shop or lose some more customers. Those Pistons, although they were pathetic, deserved to be treated with respect, not disdain. Reread the first comment that started this thread. Those Cleveland players were laughing at us. Total disrespect. And the Piston heads sold us out. Please do not take this personal. This is just my opinion. I could be making a mountain out of a mole hill. I just feel betrayed right now.
  13. professor

I didn't say I liked the business practice, nor did I say that I thought it was a good business practice. My only point was that it was a business decision and that I, for one, am not surprised by it. And I didn't mean to sound patronizing in my tone (which I gather I did since you echoed back to me and it sounded patronizing to me) or to trivialize the feelings of betrayal. I'm sorry if I did either of those things.

Perhaps, I'm the one making a mountain out of a mole hill. But as far as I understand business (and I am no businessman I assure you) in a capitalist society everything -- and I mean everything -- matters to the degree that it can be convertible to profit. The only way to make the Pistons, or any business care about our feelings (or about our moral stances or about anything else), in the long run and probably in the short run too, is by expressing those feelings in the only language that matters to that business: our dollars. That is, as customers we make caring about our feelings profitable to the business owner (or, conversely, we make disregarding our feelings or betraying our loyalty unprofitable to the business owner)

Or by more direct action: such as destroying the material foundation of that business.

Once again, I'm not defending this model. In fact, I have some concerns about it (which is one reason why I sometimes express reservations about some of Roscoe's positions on the oil thread -- another story, I know). But I want to be as realistic as I can about how the model actually works.

And it's not even a personal thing: I'm sure Mrs. Davidson would very sincerely profess to care about Pistons fans. But she is not going to make any money off the Pistons if she puts our feelings above the profit margin. Again, whether or not she recognizes the ECONOMIC (not MORAL) danger of alienating long-time fans is another question entirely.
  14. roscoe36

The moral danger is the economic danger.
  15. professor

but only if we fans make it so, right?
  16. roscoe36

I'm not sure I understood you. I don't believe morality can exist independent of conscious action.

My point is, that to perform well economically is to be morally good. Economics and morality are not separate.
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

okay guys, i was THERE and i think you're all making a bigger deal out of this than necessary. i'll take it at the pistons word that they offer up about 200 seats every series to the opposing team...that's honestly not that much.

think about it - the pistons DID lower their prices for the playoffs, to the point that absolutely anyone could attend. cavs fans had a perfect opportunity sunday to drive up, see a sweep, and drive back home that night at a reasonable hour. they most likely just called and bought all the open tickets that pistons fans weren't buying, and the rest bought theirs on stubhub from pistons fans who didn't want to witness the inevitable.

as much as it killed me to attend the game, i knew it was going to be like that. but again, you guys are making a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be.
  18. roscoe36

Oh, so because you were there, now you think you know more than people on the internet?
  19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

20. roscoe36

[​IMG]