Turkoglu to Pistons?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Have any of these articles mentioned that Dumars realizes that having players that can create off the dribble is valuable or will I need to hold on for a few more years watching these guys move like they're in shackles?

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Hopefully you don't feel that all of that running to the halfcourt stripe and away from double teams Turkoglu was prone to doing was creating off the dribble.

The only reason people are thinking he is a creator in comparison to our guys is because his options included a better post player and three point shooters than we have seen on our team in decades.

He gets bailed out time and time again, and all of a sudden he's a facilitator.

More prestidigitation IMO. He's Doug Henning with a basketball in his hand.

Which is appropriate, considering he's playing for the Magic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I'll have to agree with The Low here. I'd trade Tay and sign Turkeyglue. See if we can get him for 8-9 per or to a contract that AVERAGES 9-10 per with the amount gradually rising.

4. buffaloBRAVE

buffaloBRAVE First Round Draft Pick

^^^^^^ Reply to Cloudwalker

daam, we must have been watching different games because I remember turk slicing thru the cleveland D every game! Also, wasn't it turk who hit what would have been a clutch game winner if not for LeBron's 1 second miracle. He did that just about every game, 6'10" and he creates his own shot! penetrates! and hits from long range!

To be honest after watching the Magic play during the playoffs I noticed that Dwight Howard is a bit overrated! The guy has no post moves and no face-up shot!

It was Turks and Rashards clutch shooting that kept other teams on the defensive.

HATERS!? :confused:

maybe it's because he's not from the USA but jeez!

5. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

If that's the case I change my mind. I wouldn't want to go any higher than 9 mil average. I know I just said 9-10 but if he's turning down that kind of money to return to the team he should have some loyalty with AND they just made it to the finals........what does that say?

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Not sure what that says, but he said that he needs to take care of his family. I guess $36 mil on the top of the same he's earned over the past 6 years is not enough. He must have talked to Big Ben.

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Obviously we are seeing a different game.

When I see Hedo miss a defensive assignment or consistently fail to block out his man, or blow a fast break, or turn the ball over in the same stupid way time and time again, you're apparently still applauding the three he made five plays ago.

Any hustle he seems to be able to muster is limited to the offensive end only. On the defensive end, the only reason he doesn't look like a complete joke is because he has Dwight Howard to back him up.

I don't care what team he plays for, he'll always be a Sacramento Queen.
    Put him on a team like ours and he'll be one step above trash.

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You continue to disappointment me in being right.

9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Before inflationary head becomes a reality; you might be saying that is this is a good deal (or perhaps a steal)?

10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If that's true, add insane to the list of knocks against Turkoglu.

Of course, maybe he just can't stand SVG. I could understand that.

11. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Guess Denver would have to start Turkoglu at $15 million because that is what Kenyon Martin is scheduled to make next year.

The fact that Tayshaun is over-paid does not constitute over-paying players who may be better. That's my opinion.

12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

We don't often agree, but I'm with you 100% on this one. I'm sure Otis lowballed Turk, so we shouldn't make the same mistake. a 40 to 50 mil contract over 5 years seems pretty reasonable to me.

13. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

BTW, Turk is looking for a $50 mil deal. If we can dump Tay, we can sign Turk with no impact on our cap space. Now that would be a nice improvement. I'd like to see a sign and trade with Rip, dumping Tay, and we could have Stuckey, Gordan, Turk, Bosh, and enough cap space to sign a semi decent center.

14. max

max All-Star

That would not be much more than what Prince gets. Turk makes an impact. No coincidence here when the Magic got him and started becoming contenders.

Yes he is 30 but not everyone on your team has to be young. During the early part of the run we always had a few vets - Cliff, Eldon Campbell, Jon Barry, etc..

15. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

If we sign turkoglu and trade tayshaun for a solid rebounding force down low, Detroit turns it round pretty quickly. There really aren't that good of centers available through free agency, (boozer/milsap/bosh can't guard howard or shaq), so Joe is probably already thinking some sort of tay-kaman/camby/chandler type deal.

If we do that and we sign hedo we still have a lot of money left over, maybe enough to get another big guy like david lee or the bird man from denver. Which makes a pretty nice depth chart if you imagine.

Start Bench
    Stuckey ---- Bynum
    Hamilton ---- Afflalo
    Turkoglu ---- Daye/Jerebko/Summers/Washington
    David Lee ---- Maxiel
    Chandler ---- Kwame

And there might be enough money left over at the end of all this to maybe buy some free agent help if the season goes well enough for us to be contenders. Of course that implies there is someone to coach them.

16. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

I just hope Joe rebuilds and doesn't overpay on some middling, aging guys like Turkoglu who can lead us into the second round for the next two years before sucking it up and making boat loads of cash when he's not good four years down the road. The Stones need to tank and grab a young gun to surround Stuckey / Afflalo / Daye with.

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This is tough. Really it is. Turk is an upgrade over Tay, Period. But adding Turk and subtracting Tay won't make us contenders. Timing is everything, I personally believe LA, SA, Clev, Orl,& Bos are the frontrunners and there ain't much we can do (short of signing Amare and Wade) to change that. Turk will be pretty good for 2-3 more years but I don't see our window opening in that time frame.....It's about timing.

Consider this, our free $$$$ allows us to facilitate some signings too, so it's not just the FA's Joe is looking at, teams will be looking to us in order to dump salaries so they can get into the FA market.....like I said THIS IS REALLY TOUGH!

18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

If the Magic want Rasheed then the Pistons are in the best position to get Hedo, or be facilitators in a 3 team trade that gets us someone else and sends Hedo to team number two.

Not many teams besides Orlando and us can pay Turkoglu what he wants. Same with Rasheed if he isn't willing to take the MLE.

It all depends on how Joe feels about Hedo. He could be a Piston, or be sent to another team for a player Joe Dumars does want.

And because Joe's under the cap, it doesn't matter how much that third player (or players) is making next year.

19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

We could three team trade Rasheed/ Hedo / Amare, and the Phoenix Suns would save about $6 million next year.

Just a thought. :)

20. Krowe

Krowe First Round Draft Pick

Bad Move. Joe D. you're better than that!