1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Turkoglu to Pistons?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 26, 2009.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Now you're thinking. I don't see Joe getting a FA via $$$$$ I see him getting a stud via 3/4 team trade because someone needs us to get the FA that they want. I see Joe targeting #1-Bosh and #2-Amare, then we can trade Tay and/or Rip for Capp Spayce.

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

It's a good point, but I don't see how Tayshaun is overpaid.

Some of you folks want to see Turkoglu settle for 2 million more than the MLE, and for someone that is supposedly better than Tayshaun Prince, what does that make Tay?

An MLE player?

Hardly.

Market value is what it is. It's funny how Joe goes from being notoriously shrewd and sometimes cheap to having two "over-paid" players on his roster even after he's dumped his top 2 salaries.

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm afraid of someone whose best nickname is a combination of something you eat and something you DON'T eat.

4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

You're not supposed to eat TURKEY? :sssh:

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A lot of good points here, but bottomline, turk upgrades the team that played and quit at the palace last year. If nobody gives him a decent offer, give him $33m over 3 years and keep Tay unless you can can swing Tays value into a decent PF who can give us 15/10 everynight which is also an upgrade ove the inconsistencies that tried to share the position last season.

6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I'm betting that if his name was Hedo TurkoPASTE there would be SO much more confusion right now.....

come'on, it's only one letter removed from TASTE....who here hasn't tried PASTE?

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Defense and age matter... pass

8. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

For a glue guy Tayshaun would be well compensated at $7.5 million, 2 million more than the MLE...Hedo is probably worth $8.5 million, which is 3 million more than the MLE....Regardless of what we think Hedo recently rejected a 4yr/$36 million contract which would average $9 million a year with Orlando. With that said, Anything less than $10 million to start does not look like something that can be negotiated with Turk.

I wouldn't say Hamilton is over-paid. Chauncey Billups is not over-paid...Dumping Chauncey is a cheap move..Tayshaun is the only over-paid player on the roster....In most cases Joe is cheap, Tayshaun's contract is the exception.

9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

If we get Turk i look forward to people complaining about his shot selection esp at 3 which is worse than Sheed's. I also look forward to seeing what he looks like playing w/o Dwight Howard in the middle. And the screaming of "go to the basket, stop shooting jumpers!!"

Tay may not be the answer, but neither is Turk who's not going to help you guard LBJ/PP either anymore than Prince does or even worse . . .

10. coynejeremy

You got it, babe.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm not sure who's gonna pay Turk more than the MLE... young teams like OKC or Memphis?
    It comes down to Portland (if they don't pay a couple of non guaranteed contracts) and the Pistons... I'll be thankful if it's the Blazers paying for Turk... this will essentially take them out of the F.A. market.
    I can see a situation where Turk has to accept the MLE or slightly above to stay with the Magic.

There's gonna be a lot of FAs hanging their heads at the end of July

btw, it looks like the Jazz are serious about paying Milsap serious $'s to remain with them.
    I'm not a big fan of Boozers but if he doesn't get a real offer from the Pistons (wink wink deal) this will force his hand to opt back in ... he's got two more days to decide... now you're looking at Utah going into cost cutting mode... Joe sweeps in and offers them a S&T of Jmax for Booze (on his original contract)... the net effect is we only add 7.3 mil to try out Boozer for one year and we move Jmax's long term deal.

12. max

max All-Star

That would be a great move. Get to see if he can play more than 70 games under our system 1st. Moving Maxiel would also be nice.

13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

• While you are setting market value, are you charting production in relation to salary against all of the other veterans in the NBA not playing off of a scale contract or just making up numbers off the top of your head? The reason I'm wondering is because I think posters like TaShaun and dba have done this sort of homework at least on a surface level, and this is the first time I've heard of Prince being overpaid by $3 million next year. Personally, I don't believe you've performed even a cursory cap analysis, or you likely wouldn't have made the two mistakes I'm about to point out.
    • a 4 year/$36 million contract doesn't get interpreted by what it "averages". That contract could have started at $7 mil going up by $1 mil annually, which you yourself has said is less than what he's worth. Either way, the last thing that contract starts out at is $9 million. Contracts such as that are extremely rare, and should hardly be assumed.
    • Furthermore, a 5 year $50 mil contract (a number the press has thrown out that he may be asking for) doesn't start at $10 mil.
      It could likely start out at $8.5 mil (sound familiar?) with annual bumps of 750,000, which in the end would be equal to a 5 year $50 million dollar deal, even though it only started at $8.5.
    So it seems Turkoglu may only be asking for what you personally feel he's worth, though your authority on this subject seems extremely debatable.

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My numbers say that Prince is one of the few guys in the league paid almost exactly in line with performance - $9.50mm actual versus $9.52mm earned.

Turk was underpaid, but isn't at Prince's level - $6.9mm actual versus $8.8 earned.

Turk will never play as well elsewhere as he does in Orlando. That system and team is tailor made for him.

15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Thanks for the stats. I know you've knocked those numbers out before. :)

16. coynejeremy

And he never has played as well anywhere else, either.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It seems like forever ago when he was in Sac.

18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

There are always going to be situations that arise where you are forced to "overpay" for a NBA player.

This is NOT one of those situations.

I'm hoping the Joe stays clear of TurkeyGlue and to a certain extent, Ben Gordon as well.

19. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Somehow you assumed that I stated Turkoglu would start at $9 million and stay at that figure...then spent two paragrphs explaining how players start at a lower figure and get raises year after year.

Should make you a scout :)

20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

He knows he's expendable now that Carter is signed. So, he's testing the waters. That's all there is to it.

The whole "take care of my family" thing is absurd. THat's a valid excuse if you are offered a 60K a year gig and hold out for a 72K a year gig.