Two Choices

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Sep 30, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No. It is a freaking joy to watch.

Pistons fans are like Opus Dei when it comes to enjoying offensive basketball. We have treated it like a forbidden delight or original sin for far too long IMO .

The Bad Boys defended and scored. I wouldn't mind seeing that again.

2. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

Ok heres the logic and answer to your point a center who can shoot 12footers and hit them, average just about the same amount of rebounds, can shoot over 80% from the stripe and can create his own shot(i.e. Post-up) in a now offensive rule based NBA = Pistons with more offense. 1+1=2 but 1and1=11 [sign]WELCOME TO DETROIT CITY[/sign]

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I miss the streak of consecutive games holding the opponent under 70 points.

I don't miss the stretches in games where the Pistons went 5-8 minutes without making a single field goal.

I believe both of those eras are over.

4. roscoe36

To be fair, Mohammed is not the shot blocker, defender or intimidator that Ben is.

And, Nazr is not a very good offensive player. He's better than Ben, but that doesn't make him a top 10 offensive center in this league. And he will never match Ben's rebounding unless he stops getting into foul trouble.

Nazr means more balance to the center position. But let's not kid ourselves, he is not going to be the go-to-guy in the post like Yao, Amare, Shaq, Dwight Howard, Eddy Curry, Ilgauskas etc.

Y'all will have to wait and see with Nazr. I can almost guarantee he will not average a double in scoring. That is incredibly rare for a center in Flip's system.

5. Prophecy Revealed

I was just wondering if Ben had any DPOY's ,or Chauncy MVP votes or was Rips 3point%,midrange game or endurance was talked about,or Sheeds 3point range Before they came to the Pistons? Makes you wonder other people will do now that their Here. They say when you loose one of the 5 senses the others get better,Lindsey is a great [defender] but lacks [offense] I wonder why HE comes off the bench? Hmm Oh well! [sign]WELCOME TO DETROIT CITY[/sign] :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: -- starting- 5

6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

riley wasn't coaching during those other series. riley exposed ben like no other coach has in the past. miami is a very hard team to defend in the new nba. you have to score to compete with them. it's a problem when you get torched on defense and then you aren't even allowed to attempt to score because the other team simply fouls ben and gets the ball back with no penalty other than an extra foul on antoine walker or (anybody other than wade and shaq).

did you notice that miami's fg% was boosted by shaq's monster dunks. did you notice how shaq rested on defense??

7. Prophecy Revealed

Ok It would be an understatement to say I agree but I agree

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

All statements true... however the interesting part is what the respect for a mid range game will do for the others... they can't just sag down anymore.... he doesn't have to be a double digit scorer to be accounted for 10 - 15 feet.... it will also be nice to see anykind of a high/low game.

9. roscoe36

He might get as much respect as Charles Oakley did for his 14 foot J.

Nazr is neither a power/finesse post player nor a mid range jump shooter.

Guys will respect that he can make a shot, but I don't see guys staying at home on him for his 6 or 8 FGA a game.

10. BillLaimbeer

McDyess, not Nazr, may be the crunch time center. If so, that will definitely open up space inside for the other 4 Pistons with the game on the line.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

While Nazr is only a 38% shooter from mid range it's safe to say that teams will play him closer than Ben from outside... that's all that's needed to create ops for others.... particularly against Miami where Shaq has to move his feet.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep. I miss NJ celebrating a loss because they scored over 70. Man, talk about getting into someone's head. But those droughts could send you over the edge.

13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, and watching Ben on the offensive end was our corporal mortification!

14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

And lets be fair, no one ever said he was going to be the go-to- guy and neither was Ben.

Half of his double (which is my take) will come from the free-throw line. You should see a whole-lot more in the paint footprints. CB,Rip and Flip should be getting good looks for the mid-range jumpers. The key for me is seeing how many free-throws are shown and how they will be spread around. Offensive rebounds should be up also.

15. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

interesting Roscoe. I agree with you. And I think your point about opus dei, though obviously partly a joke, isn't too far from the point I tried to make quite a long time ago (totally unsuccessfully as I recall) in a thread about defense and morality.

another observation: yesterday afternoon i was watching game 5 of the 1987 ECF, and i watched the celtics put up nearly 40 points on us in the 4th quarter. I know, i know, the badboys were really just kinda born that year (it was salley and worm's rookie season, for example) and scoring across the board was way up for the whole league at that point. i guess i'm trying to emphasize the balance in your point about the bad boys defending AND scoring. they didn't fetishize one or the other as the only way to win ball games. as fans we've been guilty of fetishizing defense at the expense of offense. last year perhaps we saw flip fetishize offense at the expense of defense.

i'm hoping that this year we find a balance, and a recognition that when shots aren't falling, or calls aren't going our way, the only thing left within our control is intensity and effort on the defensive end and on the boards (whether we're playing man or zone).

16. roscoe36

Basketball is a game of will. It is a game of morality.

Systems and tactics only go so far. Talent only goes so far.

The team that from the end of the bench, to center court that can assert it's will on the boards, defensively and aggressively on offense will win more games than they lose (I am talking playoffs here).

Sometimes I think we the fans have made this much more complicated than it really is. Zone, Man/Zone, Man to man, jump shooting, flex offense, Two-Chest bla bla...

The team that WANTS IT, that is willing to incur court burns and shattered orbital bones, that is the team that is probably going to come out on top.

Unless they give some guy on the other team 20 free throws a game.

17. BillLaimbeer

It doesn't hurt to have Shaq and Wade on your team either...

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

LOL, Shaq has never been all about effort... jess get the hell outchta my way...
    Must be nice to physically dominate... the last player we had like that was the Dobber.
    Now Wade is everything Roscoe is talkin' about.... I'd like to see Chauncey & Sheed get some more floor burns.

19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hey, I saw the second half of that too. How about that drive for a jam, pull the ball back down, turn 180 in the air and lay the ball up back over your head thing that Rodman did?

Who knew?

I had forgotten what game that was, so when Bird stole the ball at the end I was just as astonished as the first time around.