Two sweet rumors...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 7, 2009.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Fellas...Fellas...maybe I should have been more clear:

The trade would be: the #15 pick (aka BJ Mullens), Tayshaun Prince, and Jason Maxiel for Brook Lopez and Bobby Simmons.

Reasons the nets would agree to give up Brook Lopez: #1) They're getting a replacement with a higher upside (but also a higher risk) in BJ Mullens; #2) They're ridding themselves of a TERRIBLE contract; #3) They're getting a solid starting SF; #4) They're getting a solid starting PF.

The Nets starting lineup goes from: PG-D. Harris, SG-K. Dooling, SF-V. Carter, PF-R. Anderson, C-B. Lopez...to...PG-D. Harris, SG-V. Carter, SF-T. Prince, PF: J. Maxiel, C: B. Mullens. It's a downgrade at center, sure, but its an overall lineup upgrade. Plus, it can be argued that Mullens will be better than Lopez in 3/4 years (I don't think so, but many do). And did I mention that they will no longer be paying bobby simmons 11 mil/per to play 10 minutes a game!?

For us, its a win-win. Tayshaun needs to be moved - he simply can't guard LeBron. There's not going to be a need for Jason Maxiel with a better version of Jason Maxiel in Paul Millsap here (does Amir Johnson instead sweeten that deal?). Bobby Simmons contract sucks, but its just one year, we can handle it. BROOK LOPEZ IS GOING TO BE A STUD. He'd be a perfect fit here.
  2. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I agree completely. Most of the moves that Joe makes completely blindside me. I'm pretty confident that Joe will make some moves this summer that have never been discussed or considered in the rumor mill or among fans. That's just kind of the way he plays the game.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

BULLS: Ask Sam | 06.05.09

One of my favorite quotes from the Q & A is Sam's comments where the fan asked about Ben Wallace possibly retiring

:pound:
  4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'm in love with the Lopez idea. Man, in that proposal it just seems like we are stealing though, so I doubt that happens.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good centers are hard to come by and Lopez is a good one. New Jersey is not going to trade Lopez. Period.
  6. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

idk...

Mullens/Lopez...advantage detroit, but Mullens was projected to be a #1 overall pick two or three months ago. How big of an advantage is it really?
    Prince/Simmons...advantage new jersey. tayshaun's got a reasonable contract and he's a solid player. simmons has an outrageous contract and he sucks.
    Maxiel or Amir...oh yeah, you're getting a new starting PF for nothing as well.

its not THAT lopsided.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Did Orlando have a Lebron stopper?
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe the Nets think they have the other Lopez?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pistons came out of this with Bobby Simmons' contract only.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

#1) You don't give up a sure thing at center for someone that hasn't proven anything (Lopez vs Mullens)

#2) Simmons 11 mil expiring is a terrible contract?... where's the cap relief for the 2010 sweepstakes?

#3) Ok

#4) The solid starting PF is Jmax?
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Millsap had a great year, at least in part because no one saw him coming and no one was prepared to defend against him. Can he ever do more than 14 and 9? Maybe, but maybe not.

He's listed at 6'8", but I suspect stretches to reach 6'6", maybe too small? I'm not down on him, but his size is a concern. Barkley he ain't.
  11. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

AGREED! He's fits the hard working vibe we like here....................GET IT DONE, Joe!!!
  12. BillLaimbeer

So he's got that going for him...
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Remember, Pistons would be hiring Millsap to play, not for Barkley's current role of all around general buffoon.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

JJ Reddick.
  15. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Cleveland lost to Orlando not because they stopped LeBron but because the rest of the LeBrons didn't show up to the games. That sort of thing is unpredictable. I still think the smartest strategy is one that takes Bron Bron into account. You cannot stop the man, you can only hope to contain him. Kinda like MJ only bigger. I did think they had a good strategy against him to body him up and not allow for a clear path to the rim everytime down the floor. In order to do that you need size (height AND weight) at the 3.
  16. BillLaimbeer

Good point of distinction. Remember that Sir Charles is Championshipless, though.
  17. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

97.1 The Ticket is talking about Turkeyglue opting out and the Pistons picking him up. I like that idea if the price is right.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He averaged 40.

But Orlando's best defense was a good offense.

Hopefully Lebron skips out and heads to NY and wallows in mediocrity for the next 5 years as they try to find the elusive pieces with which to surround his majesty.
  19. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I don't know. I don't think these moves make us any better than we are now. These are cheap moves. Nothing that has that WOW factor for someone to say the Pistons are back in the Eastern Conference title picture.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Please, Joe .....no.