Two words: Kwame Brown

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by theWORM, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well Worm, points made, but generally people are just being playful here. The posters in question are some of the least aggressive, least disrespectful guys around here, and I would be tempted to give them the benefit of the doubt.

No hard feelings I am sure. And we do appreciate your opinions and predictions.
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Until seeing that photo I didn't realize how small Malone's head was
  3. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Roscoe, I appreciate your comment. But, let's call a spade a spade. I found nothing playful about any of the comments made. They were all made at MY EXPENSE. There were no positive or neutral comments to add balance to ones that might be perceived as negative. I have seen playful comments between long-time forum members who know each other well. This was not an example of such.

The comments were clearly DEROGATORY.

AND, on first read, at least two other members made posts which implied that they saw the comments as being so. One from Webz, who likened the behavior to spitting in ones face. The other comment was made by yourself, in which you clearly implied approval of my not answering back in like manner (which I will continue refraining from doing, lest I become a classless Aussie).

Again, let's call a spade a spade. This should be a forum where diversity of opinion and freedom of speech is welcome. Not one where the typical forum behavior of "long-timers" belittling "newbs", especially a foreign "noob", for fun is the norm.
  4. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Kwame you go %%%%in show stephen a. smith who's a scrub.
  5. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

i know this doesn't mean much, but i've found this board to be one of the most noob-friendly online communities (this is actually my second account). i wasn't blasted for my opinion, no matter outrageous they may be to some (unlike some other Detroit sports board). The comments made probably had a lot to do with the timing the topic was created as well. Admit that it seems weird watching Kwame's name alongside T-Mac, Biedrins, Josh Smith, Ron Artest. Everybody had the bar set a little high. Everything seems to be in playful tone around here, and the old-timers would have been treated the same.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What can you do? That's the world today, I guess. A correct internet prediction doesn't get the respect it used to.
  7. theWORM

If I have interpreted you correctly, what you are saying is this:
    PF.com is normally welcoming towards noobs. Everybody was expecting Joe D to acquire a proven player with some star appeal (as per the names listed), but instead Joe D went out a got Kwame. Some were really pissed that Joe signed Kwame, who in turn took their frustrations out on me, and I just happen to be a noob foreigner.

I guess I should call Joe D and blame him for the behavior of certain PF.com board members?

No? Then, you are correct. Your post doesn't mean much.
  8. theWORM

I agree Ernie. That being said, I wasn't looking for no respect for my prediction (Although I admit that I could not resist the temptation to remind everyone that I made it). I am all for a bit of fun and jest, even if its at my expense. What instead transpired is the said board members made posts that when considered together in context were overtly disrespectful.

So I've called them out on it, if only so that others won't feel threatened when wanting to express themselves on this board in fear of similar retribution. Especially noob foreigners who aren't part of the clicky circle.

What's really lame is that instead of others denouncing such behavior, they are coming to its defense. Playful comments my ass. They can speak for themselves.

Where are all the smart ass comments now?
  9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Worm, I think you are taking this way too personally. Remember that you can't really tell tone in the cyberworld. Also when I read the thread I see plenty of congrats to you on the prediction, but lots of people not very thrilled with Kwame Brown being Joe's pick. I have to tell you that when I read the thread I can't find much hostility to you, but a goodly amount of shock that Kwame Brown was the end result of all the speculation.

I had Kwame Brown on my fantasy team two years ago and then he got injured. I liked his game and he put up some nice stats for me consistently. I didn't see him at all in Memphis.

Anyway, I think it's totally great that you predicted this, because I really can't think of anyone who might have. I guess if I had a list of free agents who were centers in front of me, I might have given him some thought, but he certainly isn't a first tier guy anymore. I mean your prediction was kind of like when you are playing Fantasy Bball and you pick up a free agent that no one has noticed or no one expects anything out of (for me: Biedrins two years ago) and then they just go on a hot streak for you.

I've seen some pretty intense arguments on this forum. Mostly about Darko and Ben. But I just want you to know I don't find ill will toward you on my reading of your thread. Of course your perception is what matters to you and none of us can change that. Of course I can't say absolutely no one meant to offend, but it would be EXTREMELY out of character for that to be the case on this forum.

Now if Kwame can just rally hard to jumpstart his career, you'll end up being a serious genius! Go Kwame!!

P.S. There is no clicky circle on this forum. No way. If we start bonding with each other and drifting away from the group, somehow Roscoe breaks it up. LOL. Everyone is welcome everywhere. The game chats get really out of control sometimes, especially if the Pistons are losing. But still...I hope you'll suspend judgment. I hope everything will be fine.
  10. theWORM

I have flogged this dead horse just about enough. But lets be clear. Two other members ALSO interpreted the comments as being personally insulting, without me having expressed that I had found them insulting (I had not even replied yet, wanting all the haters to line up first before hitting them up 2pac style).

I am all for passionate debate about our beloved Pistons. My teenage idol was Chuck Daly. Not many can say that. That's how passionate a Pistons fan I am. And I am all for people arguing their cases and disagreeing on matters of opinion. Even to the point of bitterness. But I DRAW THE LINE at personal insults. Everyone else should do the same, and denounce those that do not.

I repeat: Two other members ALSO interpreted the comments as being personally insulting, without me having expressed that I had found them insulting.

What is happening is a common social psychological phenomenon. If we call out inappropriate behavior of a few entrenched board members, what does it say about the rest of the entrenched board community? Better to pretend the posts weren't derogatory, lest we feel bad about ourselves.
  11. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

and no, i wasn't interpreted correctly.

and what does having to be an foreign noob have to do with it? nobody's angry at you, man. nobody's directing their frustrations at you. people might have been a little dumbfounded by the move in general, but after letting it sink in we're seeing it for what it is.

this is a board of good posters. check motownsports and mlive forums. THOSE can get derogatory.
  12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Armygirl, I am still laughing out loud at this! My favorite thing about this forum of course is that it's about the Pistons. My second favorite thing is how many belly laughs I get reading the posts. Alot of funny writers on here.

OMG. :pound::pound::pound:I just can't stop cracking up that this was your initial response.

BTW, I'm on the Kwame bandwagon now. I like what he gave the Lakers two years ago. I could live with that at the center position. I think it's really important to have a young strong guy at that position. Besides we know how to play without a scoring center....it's our specialty.
  13. theWORM

In retrospect, I think lpgrl's first reaction was the funniest.
  14. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

"Burning down" is a little different than alleged woman beating.

And Sheed is a top talent at his position with a unique skill set. Kwame is trying to prove he was worth a first round pick, let alone THE FIRST pick.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If we're going to call a spade a spade, I think that you made a point and had some sympathy at one point, and now it has become a case of "Thou doth protest too much".

To imply that this forum does not tolerate diversity of opinion is something I take personally.

There is no established hazing process, you're hardly a new member having registered last year, and your country of origin is of no issue given that Aussies have been and probably always will be a well represented contingent on this forum.

This thread is closed. There is a point where the discussion is no longer productive. In the future, if you have issue with a post, please click the HAZARD sign icon [​IMG] on the top right corner to report it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.