U of M Wolverines thread 2007

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It's funny how U of M fans always complain about two things when they lose

1. MSU hates us.

2. Fire Lloyd Carr.

It's always something.

Wonder if you read all the crap U of M players and fans were talking last week.

Why is it that when U of M wins it's because of Manningham, Henne, and Hart...but when they lose it is all Lloyd's fault?

Methinks U of M is obsessed too..with making excuses.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think it all comes from insecurity. Michigan no longer ranks as one of the top teams in the country. Also, their luck finally ran out. When you miss you quarterback and your running back - it is really tough to win. I wonder how many games would Lions win without Kitna and Jones?
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm in the enviable position of rooting for both and criticizing both (not having attended either school). When they play one another, I hope for a close contest so I liked this season's game a lot.

I think they're both great schools academically. Obviously, UM gets higher ratings in those U.S. News and World Report writeups. But MSU is no slouch. When Ohio State people discover I'm from Michigan, the razzing always starts. I tell them I'm glad UM isn't a "football factory" and that they actually graduate their athletes.

But UM's athletic philosophy simpy befuddles me. Sure, with Lloyd, UM will always win 7-9 games per season playing nobodys in the nonconference (save the Pac 10 teams) and getting the Minnesotas, Indianas and Northwesterns of the Big 10. I've always wondered if they wanted to take "that next step." I was at the Rose Bowl when they won the '97 title and I figured, "OK, this is the start of something big." Well, it wasn't.

UM will always remain competitive academically. They have great professors there. I think more people would like to see that competitiveness across the board. And although they are competitive in many sports, football seems to be the dominant force in college athletics these days. Frankly, I'm fairly comfortable with them caring the most about academics. These are student-athletes, after all. Just say it out loud then. Just say, "We're happy with Lloyd Carr because our goal is to win the Big 10, not national titles. He graduates his players. He makes them into good citizens. That's what we want ultimately. Academics are our focus, not athletics."

But the alums might disagree.
  4. mikhail1973

There's a lot of truth to that. I guess you either pay attention to the academics or to the athletics. And people wonder why Stanford's football team stinks.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

One thing for 2007, not just in the big 10, but anybody can play with anyteam this year and possibly grab a W. At one time S florida was ranked 2nd, but lost three in a row before beatin up on Syracuse today. Nebraska had lost 5 in row including giving up 76 points last week to Kansas and then turns it around today and scored 73 pts in beating Kansas State. :confused:

As far as the Big 10 goes, both the Wolverines and Buckeyes were probably looking ahead to next weeks game and I think not only did Henne and Hart sit it out, but the some of the defensive players stayed at home in AA to gear up for next week:). Like someone said, michigan's first goal is to beat OSU, second to win Big 10 title, 3rd to get to Rose Bowl, 4th to beat MSU and 5th is to win the national title. Other teams such as Texas, OSU, USC, Florida etc, first goal is to win national title

The Buckeyes are down 7 at halftime...If they go on to lose this game they will still try to beat the Wolves, but it will be a let down because they will not be in a position to win that mythical b-s championship:sssh:
  6. LA Dre

Well now next week is the the Battle for the Big 10 title and Rose Bowl, now that the Buckeyes will probably drop out of the BCS Championship game.

One thing that the Illini did with their shot gun QB vs the Buckeyes that Michigan's Mallet didn't do....run up the middle. Wonder if the Wolverines will exploit that opening if is it there or just take the sack:). Hopefully Carr and Co was watching that aspect of how to beat OSU.

Can't see OSU losing two in a row, but we will see if the Wolverines have the guts and agression to win this and Carr doesn't come out with the conservative soft play..
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Michigan will win. It's in Ann Arbor and they are due to beat the Buckeyes.
    But have no fear...I'll be rooting for Michigan...to lose.:MusicBigGrin:
  8. ggazoo69

I'm not so sure OSU is outta the BCS title run. They lost to a good team. LSU and KU both have tough games coming up so OSU could definitely move back up if they trounce UM. Seems like a lot of things could happen. Will be interested to see the next BCS standings.

Pat Forde's take on UM:

ESPN - Forde: Michigan unmasked - Columnist
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Buckeyes should have won a gimmee at home. UM got beat by a very good team.

Historical note:
    NCAA Football - Illinois Fighting Illini/Ohio State Buckeyes Recap Saturday November 10, 2007 - Yahoo! Sports

Claws, fangs & nuts out...next weekend should be a great game.

It sucks that a late season loss impacts BCS standings for title contention more than an early season loss. There really should be a playoff...at least between the top four teams.
  10. ggazoo69

I agree. It shouldn't. That's why the polls are ridiculous. Settle it on the field.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That game today had no importance whatsoever.

Pathetic final drive by Mallet. I'm glad Carr decided to go for it on 4th and 20 from his own 5 yard line just on principal. Screw the final score, you gotta go for the win.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I read in the paper today that the decision to sit Henne and Hart had nothing at all to do with trying to get them healthy for next weeks game. Yeah, I believe that.

The impressive thing about the Wolverines this year is how they bounced back from tremendous adversity and now are in a position to have an all important final game against the Buckeyes.
  13. LA Dre

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think he meant, "it depends on the outcome of this game."
  15. mikhail1973

You know, I've got nothing against Carr. My main interest would be to see what the team would look like with a different coach. With Carr we have same ol' stuff.
  16. LA Dre

No imagination for Carr and co...same type of plays, same type of players...
  17. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Carr has been to a BCS bowl game the last 4 seasons. That's not bad.
    After beating OSU Saturday, he'll be in #5..............
  18. LA Dre

When is the last time he won one though? He is 1-5 in last six bowls I think. If you want to recruit the top athletes, I mean the really skilled ones, you got to be impressive on New years day too and here lately it has been close but no cigar:yellowprison:
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's the Flip Saunders of the Big Ten.
  20. ggazoo69

Predictions anyone?

Ohio State 23
    UM 16