U of M Wolverines thread 2007

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Sep 23, 2007.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

He definitely said "next season". Right before the game started with the female reporter. Not the presser.

2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Ah, OK. I hadn't seen that remark. That would definitely put him into Saban territory if he ends up going back on it.

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Many consider the Bowl Season the "next season" and he'll play his bowl game literally "Next Year"...........:)

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Mens BB team lost to Harvard??? When did they get a team??:noidea:

5. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Harvard may not have a team, but they have a coach - Tommy Amaker!!

:pound::pound:

6. LA Dre

Oops, payback is a dog:laugh::laugh:

7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess for this guy Led Zepelin lives as in "The Song Remains The Same"

:football::football::football:

8. ggazoo69

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Guess they wouldn't give him free parking. And I now from experience how bad the meter police are there.

10. LA Dre

In the words of Bo Schembechler, "we need a Michigan man to coach this team" In basket ball, TV commentators come out of the booth to coach...I wonder if Dan Dierdorf actally learned anything about coaching when he was in the booth??

Speaking of Michigan coaching, there is an execellent 1 hour documentary called Michigan vs Ohio State: The Rivalry. showing on HBO. The next showing is Monday 12/10 at 9 AM EST, 6 PST on HBO2 (502 on DirectTV) and then Noon EST and 9 AM PST on HBO channel 505. Those of you who know how to schedule their DVR'S in advance should look into doing this so you can watch at your leisure.

The documentary includes many grads from both M and the OSU ragging on each other as well as scores and highlights from many of the games dating back to 1900 and some coaching anecdotes from Fritz to Bo and Woody to bruce, to Cooper and to Tressell. One thing for sure Michigan staduim may have squeezed in 110,000 people the last 15 or so years, but football in the state of Ohio seems bigger and they take it more seriously than I think the blue fans do..

of course someboby posted a 44 second promo on You tube
    YouTube - Michigan vs. Ohio State: The Rivalry

11. ggazoo69

I guess Michigan will have to settle for being the better academic school year after year and Buck fans will have to continue with their struggle to spell "OSU" on the first try.

I saw that HBO program, Dre, and the jokes at the end were pretty good.

How do you get an OSU grad off your porch? Pay for the pizza! I like this joke: A UM grad and an OSU grad are using the urinals at the Horseshoe. The UM guy finishes up and begins to head for the exit. The OSU guy notices and says loudly, "At OSU, we're taught to wash our hands after using a public bathroom." The UM guy retorts: "At Michigan, we avoid pissing on our hands."

12. LA Dre

Those were some dandies:pound:

13. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I feel that the search for a new head coach is being mishandled. The AD at Michigan is probably only a littlle more sharp than a bag of feathers. My sources tell me that the President of the university is getting many complaints from former players about the handling of the hiring of a new coach. The AD seems disorganized with his process even though he knew Lloyd was leaving some time ago. Publicly losing out on two candidates and having the press chuckle at your expense is intolerable for those people.

14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Am I the only one that thinks we delt with the Miles situation in a manner that is missing from most colleges in the country. We didn't play dirty and talk to a man under contract till we had permision. We played above board and asked his current employer if it was ok and were given a time that we could talk. Is it our fault that his current employerer then went in and gave him a raise and he decided to stay? IF he really was the man for the Michigan job then he would have talked to us this week before deciding to return to his job with a hefty raise might I add. Did he ever really want the job, or did he just want to use the situation to keep the job he always wanted to stay at and get a raise out of the "implied" interest he had.

There is no urgent hurry, I would rather wait till the 1st of January and get the right man for the job. Ohio State didn't get there first man either and how has that worked out for them.

15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The Wolverines have hired Rich Rodriguez from West Virginia. An odd quirk is that UM has now replaced both its bball and football coaches in the same year with the corresponding coaches from WVU. I can't remember a similar instance, where a major sports school replaced both major sports coaches with both guys coming from the same other school.

16. LA Dre

So far the former WVU BB coach has not gotten off to a start that will lead them to the big dance, probably due to the fact that he had to start over since all of the seniors exited with Amaker. So lets hope that Rodriguez can win without Hene, Hart and big Jake who are finally graduating to the NFL. (they hope)

17. ggazoo69

I'm really surprised by this development at UM. I can't believe Rich Rodriguez would leave his alma mater after coming so close to playing in the NC to come to a football program that has seen better days. Boy, people in WV gotta be shocked. First, the basketball coach and now the football coach.

UM probably will struggle next season, too. I think the cupboard is going to be bare. But I like the idea of bringing the spread offense to Ann Arbor. College football is changing. Nice to see that the AD has finally realized that.

But you really got to question this guy's character:

Charleston Daily Mail

Charleston Daily Mail

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It seems like character is out right now in College football.

19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

At UCLA it is all done by remote control

:hoops:

20. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

There is some other reasons why Rodriguez left. Nice analysis from a Spartan writer here:
    Kevin Thomas has a guest column. He takes a look at the UM hire of Coach Rod

By Guest Author
    RICH RODRIQUEZ IS FAR FROM A SLAM DUNK
    Michigan finally has their coach and it’s Rich Rodriquez. I will say this; Michigan needs to beware the “expert from afar.” You may remember that premise sent forth by self-help guru Robert Ringer, who couldn’t sell himself or his goods locally, so he made himself the “expert from afar” and became a big shot. Michigan seemed to be consulting the experts from afar through this process, and were turned down left and right with the likes of Les ‘Mini Bo’ Miles, Kirk Ferentz, Greg Schiano, Sean Payton among those saying no thank you, so don’t let the Wolverines fool you, Rodriquez was far from Michigan’s top choice.
    Michigan got Rodriquez to say yes, but in my opinion this is not a slam-dunk and perfect fit for the Wolverines for a number of reasons. First, Rodriquez is WVU alum that was hurt deeply after the booing he received after losing to Pitt, and because of the subsequent death threats that were made against WVU’s kicker Pat McAfee for missing two field goals. Understandably, it is not everyday you get to play for a National Championship and both sides were deeply hurt and angry. However, this means someone might end up with buyer’s remorse after the ink is dried. Rodriquez is deeply sensitive to criticism and you have to be thick skinned to coach the Wolverines and their rabid alumni. This meeting with UM AD Bill Martin and UM President Mary Sue Coleman may have been more reactionary for the WVU head coach more than anything else, and yet with criticism building, Martin and his staff threw caution to the wind to go after Rodriquez.
    After turning down Alabama last year, several promises were allegedly made to Rodriquez
    and were not kept. Some of those promises had to do with facility upgrades apparently, and it left some bad blood inside the athletic department with AD Ed Pastilong, and a guy a named Mike Parsons, who works in the athletic department as well. So if you throw in the flirtation with the Crimson Tide along with the broken promises, you have a wound that is still festering.
    Secondly, there is a huge buyout of four million that won’t drop until August of 2008. When UM went raiding WVU last year for basketball coach John Beilein, WVU and Beilein were able to negotiate his 2.5 million dollar buyout down to a payout of 1.5 million to the WVU Foundation.
    That likely won’t happen with Rodriquez because of the ill feelings created between him and WVU administrators. Last December WVU President Mike Garrison painstakingly worked on a one-year extension to 2013, came up with the huge buyout, but more importantly, spent $50,000 more dollars to help defer large amounts of the contract so it would not be a heavy tax burden on Rodriquez.
    Another troubling aspect about Rodriquez is that he struggled to communicate with the WVU athletic department. The President, the athletic director, nor no one else knew he was in Toledo talking to UM officials. Also, after Bill Martin was criticized for asking permission to talk to Les Miles and being outflanked by LSU AD Skip Bertman, Martin has set a dangerous precedent by meeting on the sly first with Greg Schiano, and then Rich Rodriquez.
    Frankly, Martin was being criticized for the wrong thing previously, and yet is now being praised for something that could be unethical. If Les Miles didn’t want to come to Ann Arbor, it would make no difference if Bill Martin were floating around on a boat waiting for the SEC Championship to conclude. However, what you don’t want to do is set a trend of meeting college coaches in dark alleys and coffee shops or wherever they met in Toledo, without the other school knowing about it, but that is what Michigan did.
    Lastly, Rodriquez has been know to recruit less than stellar citizens to WVU and his resume mirrors that of John L. Smith in that they both have a 3-3-5 defense and use a spread, although John L. Smith passed the ball to attack, while WVU runs the ball out of their offense. Plus, Rodriquez has no recruiting base in the Midwest, and he has a reputation for losing the big game, which means more future losses against Jim Tressel and Ohio State.
    Didn’t UM learn from MSU’s attempt with an expert from afar, the gimmicky offense, and the bandit? Apparently not. The lack of passing and halftime adjustments from Rodriquez have to concern the average UM fan as well. Michigan has the resources for Rodriquez to make a better run at UM, but only time will tell.
    Clearly, the UM program missed Bo Schembechler during this search, and the steady behind the scene influence he wielded. The rabid alumni were demanding a big name, and after Bobby Petrino went to Arkansas, I joked with a friend and said, “Watch, in a couple days UM will have a big name they are courting on the front page,” and now we have Rodriquez as the new coach, which is almost laughable. I can almost imagine the rabid UM alums inundating Martin and Coleman with e-mails asking why Petrino is at Arkansas while UM doesn’t have a coach.
    Sometimes… the expert from afar is not the guy to get the job done and maybe he is, who knows? Yet the Mountaineers were upset with yet another coaching flirtation with Rodriquez and didn’t seem to want to keep him either. Said one WVU message board poster prior to the hiring, “He needs to leave, he is dishonest, arrogant, and self-serving.” Hey, wait a second; maybe he is the perfect fit in Ann Arbor after all. LOL
    Peace and go Spartans!
    P.S.
    Hondo thinks that Coach Rod was a great hire for the Wolverines. He will have more on this later, but the above is simply my thoughts.