U of M Wolverines thread 2007

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Sep 23, 2007.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great win for the Michigan faithful across the country. Carr finally goes out on top and wins the last game of the season for the first time since 2003. The seniors who were 0 for Ohio State and 0 for bowl games finally win something although a national championship was what will be lacking on their resumes.

Henne, Manningham, and Long will go in the first three rounds of the NFL draft. Hart may be a tad small, but 5000 rushing yards and a lot of cocky heart, somebody will throw him a bone. Those two fumbles today did not help matters though, afterall his so called good hands were one his pluses.

This was a game where the wolverines clearly outplayed the favored Gators, but you knew that they would find a way in the end to lose, because that what football teams in Michigan do for a living:sssh::). But me in my Michigan t-shirt and the wife in her USC alumini t-shirt cheered them on to the end scaring the dog everytime one us screamed... Now she is in there cheering on her school for a probable victory over the illini...

This victory should help new coach Rodriguez in recruiting as they were able to defeat a Florida team and that is where they need to be recruiting....

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Florida got all the breaks, and Wolverines got the W. Way to go out for the seniors and coach Carr.
    Where was this offense before?

3. LA Dre

No team that has 4 turnovers including three near the goal line should win a bowl game unless they were a superior team to begin with. So your question of where were they all season should be asked by Carr as he sits and ponders that he had to give it up because they phoned in their performances or only half showed up...We can always use injuries for an excuse,, but everybody was healthy the first two weeks of the season......There still is a question of what happen to that great Michigan defensive tradition of the 80's and 90's

4. mikhail1973

I think the things will sort themselves out. Carr has been blamed for the conservative offense ever since I can remember. However, as was pointed out somewhere in press, Michigan quarterbacks coming out of the limited offense had quite a bit more success in the NFL than quarterbacks coming from the spread offenses. As far as defense go, I put the blame on coaching quite a bit. They managed to become more successful against the spread offenses later on in the season. In the bowl game, as I mentioned before, Florida got the breaks. They also couldn't stop the Wolverines and had to use trickery to keep things going. In addition, Michigan defense had to spend quite a bit more time defending shorter field after the turnovers. If Michigan's offense doesn't turn the ball over, it is a blowout and no way Florida scores 35.

5. LA Dre

Wonder what Michigan team would have shown up if they had played USC in the Rose Bowl? A team getting their arses kicked or a team playing to get Carr the W??

6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think Lloyd summed it up pretty well in the postgame press conference. This is what happens when this team got healthy...not an excuse...just a fact.

Impressive victory to cap a great career by Coach Carr.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dang I missed a great UoM victory.

8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think USC is a little better than Florida.

Great win by Michigan. Probably the most important win in a long time. They were huge underdogs and Henne did himself a lot of good in the eyes of NFL scouts, I think. And even though they gave up 35 points, I thought the defense did what it needed to do against a talented offense.

Hope OSU was watching. They can see how an SEC team can be beat. :stirthepot:

9. mikhail1973

toledoblade.com -- UM's Mallett planning to transfer to UCLA

A top ten quarterback recruit also said that if Mallett does transfer, he's coming to Michigan. Interesting stuff.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

11. mikhail1973

That is if Mallett does transfer. It would be a total departure from the basis of Wolverine football - a run first quarterback.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that is why they're bringing in Rodriguez.

Mallett seems wild to me anyway. Huge arm, no touch.

13. mikhail1973

But Mallett is only 18. I don't know, we'll have to wait and see.

14. ggazoo69

And no wheels.

15. mikhail1973

Does Brady have wheels? He didn't look all that impressive in the beginning of his college career. I am not trying to say that Mallett is the answer, but so far he hasn't done anything to say he won't be a decent quarterback.

16. ggazoo69

Mallett would be better suited to a drop-back offense. Rodriguez is bringing in a spread. Spread offenses are more conducive to quicker QBs. UM needs to get quicker at the skill positions, not slower.

Brady has better wheels than Mallett. Brady was confined to a conservative UM offense that relied on the run more than the pass. Besides, I don't give Brady all the credit for what New England is doing. I give the offensive line the credit.

17. mikhail1973

A system could be adjusted to fit a quarterback if he's a strong enough performer. But if he choses to go, so be it.

18. LA Dre

19. mikhail1973

They should know something about that, wouldn't we think?

20. LA Dre

Why does ESPN and CBS have to subject us to these U-M mens basketball games?

They are on national TV again tonight for the 3rd time in 6 days and the sixth time this season..They were previously embarrassed on CBS in December by Duke and UCLA and last week by Wisconsin and Purdue.

tonight they are battling 11th ranked Indiana and everytime I watched them they are hoisting up prayer threes because every layup or short jumper is missed as if they are wearing blindfolds. I have never seen a team get out played so much in the opening minutes of a game and the second half of every game... I am not sure what the coach is preaching but no one listening and they are heading for 4-11 record after tonight.

I know these guys are all freshman and second year men, but it appears that all were walkons??/ If Rich Rodriguez has the same issues as the former WVU basketball is having now, then expect a long football season too.

Oh well back to NBA LP