UGLY GAME OR GREAT DEFENSE

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 22, 2007.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I have been listening to sportstalk radio all day today, I even called in on the Mahoney hour to talk about the Cavs/Pistons game 1 and all the Lebron Hoopla.

Most sports figures that were interviewed today was mixed about the game. Some called it the most boring game ever played, while some thought the defense for both teams were excellent, Elgin Baylor was one of the ones who lauded the defense.

The funniest thing I heard regarding the game was John Thompson who said that the Pistons looked very ugly and the game was like a boxing match, whereas the fighters go 12 rounds of feeling each other out seeing who would be the one that struck the mortal blow and eventaully win.

A large majority thought the pistons just simply played awful, however, they knew when to buckle things down and deliver the proverbial final blow.

I feel the game would put a person in the insane asylum, it was difficult to ascertain whether the pistons were rusty, calculating by trying to analyze what Lebron would do, it became like a very, very, long chess game. Were they toying with Lebron & the Cavs, or were they that awful?

Hopefully, the feeling out stage is over, now its time to play ball.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No shame in being ugly.

The Pistons were just born that way.

They tried putting some make-up on during the teal years, but just couldn't hide the adam's apple.

[​IMG]
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It was almost like a time warp going back to the ugly grind-it-out Carlisle wins. But it's better to win ugly than to lose. When you have some Creature of the Night looking dude like big Z of the Cavs dominating the scoring you know it will be ugly. Damit. We don't need a double feature...I hope we win pretty in game two.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    You can talk defense all you want, but CB is not going to turn the ball over as much against any defense probably 98 out of 100 games. Tay is not going to be held to 1 of 11 shooting and keep falling down. Yes, the defense was good, but Pistons contributed to the uglynness out there by not taking care of the ball and playing a lot of 1-on-1 ball. We all know that it is not their game and they have to move the ball which they barely did throughout the game. But this game reminded me of the last year's series with a low-scoring defensive struggle. But I thought our offense was supposed to be better with Web in and more plays from the infamous Flip playbook and the bench is deeper. So, I would expect higher scoring games, especially from Pistons.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree. CB won't play like that again. And Tay will get some new shoes with some stickum on the bottoms.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Tay had a bad shooting night which I attribute to his D effort on LBJ. But Lebron didn't look like himself. I kinda wonder if Brown intentionally held Lebron down as part of the game plan to get his other players involved in the series early...sure worked with Z last night...lucky it didn't work with Marshall late.

I'll call the game 'ugly' because I don't think the D was that pretty, outboarded 49-41 in total and 18-11 offensively. And the O wasn't pretty either.

Weird game...lucky we got out with the win.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree AG, that the game was ugly and because of our supposed and perceived superiority over this team and this series, the media has been overly critical of LaBron's failure to take the last two shots and not getting to the FT line at all.

I am willing to bet if that 3-ball by Marshall would have fallen and the Cavs had won the game, then the national media would still be in his jock saying how good he was to get his teamates involved and his minimum triple double 10-10-10, (he would have got an assist on the last pass) would have been just enough to edge out the favored Pistons.

In other words the microphone coaches (national media) would still be providing him with tips on how to win the next game as everyone outside of Michigan secretly wants to James in the finals.

The defense was there for both teams, but in some instances the Pistons just had to many turnovers to pull away and this game was just to close for comfort for the rabid Piston fan. So it was ugly in my opinion too just like last years games 2-6 with the Cavs.
  8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Much too ugly for a game 1 in the ECF. Too many turnovers and bumbling plays made by the Pistons. AS ugly as my Avatar.........
  9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Here is from the source:

I think this answers the question.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I'm sure Low will say it was a fine game. No problems.
    We had a power-outage during the game. Didn't see it.
    Next game won't be so close.
    Looks like the refs were letting Sheed play.
  11. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I'm afraid that LBJ starts driving more and drawing his usual complement of fouls. This would upset Sheed, and keep the Cavs close. Or they could play a small lineup.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I doubt we hold him to 10 again.