Ultimate Playoff Weapon: No Coaching

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, May 1, 2006.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Some credit for Milwaukee's success in Game 3 has been given to Terry Stotts' decision to avoid traditional offensive sets and just let his guys play naturally. Now there's this story about how the Wizards turned yesterday's game around at halftime:

So are these the first signs of a trend, especially among less experienced teams? Or just a one-off gimmick that only lasts until the opponent has a chance to adjust?

2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'll definitely go with "one-off gimmick." I think adjustments can always catch up to stuff like that. Although I'm not sure that either coach would really claim that he's going to keep letting his team do whatever they want to do; after Game 2 of Bucks-Pistons and the first half of Game 3 of Wiz-Cavs, the biggest problem facing Stotts and Jordan was that their teams were playing like s%^t. Now that each of their teams has gained some confidence again, I'm sure they'll go back to the drawing board, so to speak.

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I read that too. Pretty interesting. I'd say this is good news for teams like the Pistons who can free lance some and come right back with serious offensive or defensive discipline. Basically it means that as long as playoff series are four of seven, the disciplined teams will always come out on top. Just go out and play only works for so long.

NBA coaching means being able to walk a fine line between trying to control everything that does on during a game and letting the players just react to the flow. There is a golden mean that good coaches and teams find. I don't think just dropping your pants and sliding on the ice will get it done when the other team has an opportunity to scout and prepare for a couple of days before the next game.

I think the ball is now in Mike Brown's court.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Also known as "When not coaching becomes strategy".... :doh:

The Pistons should have an easier time stopping freelancing because players are more apt to take shots or play from their sweet spots. Maybe it is time for someone other than Hunter to pay attention to the gameplan and scouting reports.

Any sustained effort from the Pistons will put this one away.

5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I get to watch the Wiz quite often. Trust me, the way they played last night is the way they play all the time, i didn`t see any difference!

Playing that way plays right into the selfishness of their star, Gilbert Arenas.

I admit, the Wiz are very good playing freelance, having fun, regardless of what you call it.