UM players admit violations

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by detteam, Aug 29, 2009.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

I've thought more about this. Perhaps you are right and I've taken too much glee over the current situation.

Okay...to all PF.com UM fans. I truly apologize. I was wrong for sticking the knife in your gut and twisting it mercilessly after listening to UM fan arrogance and Detroit media fawn over UM for 35 years.

Please forgive me and accept this video as a good will gesture :)
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Legends of Blacksburg, LLC

Suit filed on 8-13-09 for default on a $3.6M construction loan.
    Google Docs

Richard A. Rodriguez was served at the UM practice facility on 8-24-09
    Google Docs

Wouldn't wanna be him right now.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wow. The loan was originally for $26M?? And it was a construction loan?

That must be some house down there.
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

It was for a condo development near Virginia Tech. Not sure why suit was filed in SC.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He has the money to make good on it you would think.
  7. max

max All-Star

I wonder what UM fans would think if this happened to Ohio State? A matter of perspective.

I admit I don't follow College sports that closely but how can Florida teams get away with murder while everyone else gets hit for sneezing.

I don't buy it but damage has been done never less. Kind of coincidence that something like this gets brought up after a 3-9 season. Maybe some deflection of blame going on by some of the players who had hopes of the NFL someday.
  8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

As a mich fan.... after the fab 5 situation, i try not to say anything about other folks bad fortune.... (though i didn't say much before it either but thats besides the point.)

I do ask some state fans to forget the mich/mich st/ohio st fans to give an honest view on the charges in general.... don't you agree that this happens at most colleges and like some mich alumni have stated, if you think 20 hours a week is all you need to put in your not going to win many games.

I wonder how many hours Tim T puts in down in florida?
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I guess you can always enjoy kicking someone when they are down but it would have to be a team like Ohio State who has always been a powerhouse.

Michigan fans wouldn't get as much pleasure out of kicking MSU fans because their football team has a history of mediocrity.

Now MSU fans have been watching Michigan success year after year and the frustration has built up...now they can do some kicking.
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

11. G-man

G-man Starter

Much ado about nothing...

Lions' Wolverines weigh in on allegations
    NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA FREE PRESS

"Carson Butler said Monday he noticed a lot of changes after Rich Rodriguez replaced retired coach Lloyd Carr at Michigan. He said he never thought the Wolverines were breaking NCAA rules, but players always were expected to attend voluntary workouts.

"It wasn't like it was that many more hours or anything like that to me," said Butler, a rookie tight end for the Lions. "It just seemed like a whole different program -- different training, different schedule. It never occurred to me that it was too many hours."

The Free Press reported Sunday allegations by current and former players that U-M consistently exceeded NCAA limits on practice time and other football-related activities under Rodriguez.

Butler said he didn't remember spending 10 hours on football the days after games, as players told the Free Press they did. "I really didn't pay attention to the hours," he said. Asked if voluntary workouts were truly voluntary or if there were repercussions for not participating, Butler said: "As far as college football, ain't nothing too much voluntary. If the weight room's open, you going to go. If it's a run, you going to go. If it's a workout, you going to go whether it said voluntary or not.

"For all the years I've been there, everything that was considered voluntary, I remember every player on the team showing up. Especially at this level, you're supposed to be in there."

Offensive linemen Jon Jansen and Jeff Backus played at Michigan under Carr. Both said the Wolverines followed the rules under Carr, but they couldn't speak for the program under Rodriguez.

"I'm worried for the guys in the locker room -- and coaches included -- because it's obviously a bad time of year to be talking about this," Jansen said. "There's a lot of pressure on them to win this year, and so it's frustrating. Especially as alumni, it's frustrating to see this go on."

Jansen and Backus said time was never an issue for them.

They said the team followed tradition in the off-season, with upperclassmen running voluntary workouts without coaches or other staff members. "The coaches didn't have to be there because it was just part of what you did as a Michigan football player," Backus said.

Asked if voluntary workouts were truly voluntary or "be there or else," Jansen said: "I never took it as 'be there or else.' I took it as it was voluntary, and most of the guys made time to be there."

Lions' Wolverines weigh in on allegations | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What is with these players questioning their coaches, did UM recruit Rasheed Wallace when I wasn't looking?

These guys are on scholarship, they should rob banks if the coaches tell them to no questions asked. This whole thing makes me very uncomfortable.
  13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ernie, you just don't understand. The coaches made them practice a LOT!

:crying:

This story = :lame:
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I have a feeling the snitches are going to have to start writing their own papers.

What would Carmelo do?
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its about kicking the program when it's down. I don't like what RichRod brought to the table last season either, but it seems like some folks, whether it is the fans of the Spartans, Buckeyes, Moutaineers or even Wolverine Alumni want this dude and the team to fail again >>especially by bringing out these allegations a week prior to the first game of the season. Talking about distractions at the wrong time....
  17. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Well said, the piling on seems excessive. If the guy is deemed guilty of the NCAA violations, then he has to pay the price. Let the investigations proceed and get completed before jumping to conclusions. I personally think it's being blown out of proportion.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's just college football. It's no worse than if the women's badmitten team had a rules violation.
  19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ooh, a bad mitten team, eh? Sounds racy!
  20. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

@ Tater. Recent Events? Such as this one?

[​IMG]

:)

Kicking to who? Themselves? Because at the end of the day...MSU is poop.