UM players admit violations

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by detteam, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

@Latino King

:pound: You're kidding right?

We are supposed to feel bad about losing a National championship game LAST YEAR to an incredible team like THAT? Seriously? I forgot...did U of M even make it to that tournament. If so, they didn't get past the first round. :pound: :pound: That's rich. Keep em' coming.

Hint: I shouldn't be helping you, but it appears you really need it. If you want to get some shots at MSU, go with football...not basketball. Also, if you want to compare them to U of M and make U of M football look good, you'll need to go back more than one year. Anyhow, I am not sure what this has to do with your coach (I use the term "your coach" loosely, since I am almost sure you aren't on the team and I am reasonably certain you are not a U of M alum) violating NCAA rules according to some of his own players.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm proud to say my alma mater does not have a football team guilty of heinous crimes like practicing too much.

Also the Brown and Gold has a rich tradition of producing an NBA player such as former Piston Walker D. Russell.

3. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

The big story in all of this for me is that it seems that there is a distinct possibility that Rich Rod has already lost his lockerroom before the season even kicks off. It could also be possible that the lockerroom is a divided one. We'll see as the games play out.

4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Sometimes it works the other way and the adversity brings the team together. It shouldn't take long to see which way the team is headed.

5. Darth Tater

I just looked at their schedule. Other than Notre Dame all are easy, almost anyone should automatically go at LEAST 3-1 in the first four games. Looking at their entire schedule they almost cannot go any worse than 8-4 no matter how mediocre they are.

Sat, Sep 5Western Michigan3:30 pm-- Sat, Sep 12(23) Notre Dame3:30 pm-- Sat, Sep 19Eastern Michigan12:00 pm-- Sat, Sep 26Indiana12:00 pm-- Sat, Oct 3at Michigan StateTBA-- Sat, Oct 10at (22) Iowa8:05 pm-- Sat, Oct 17Delaware StateTBA-- Sat, Oct 24(9) Penn StateTBA-- Sat, Oct 31at Illinois3:30 pm-- Sat, Nov 7PurdueTBA-- Sat, Nov 14at WisconsinTBA-- Sat, Nov 21(6) Ohio StateTBA

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

not that it makes a difference.... but..... we upset clemson in the first round of the tournament last year :MusicBigGrin:.

7. G-man

G-man Starter

"Its about kicking the program when it's down. I don't like what RichRod brought to the table last season either, but it seems like some folks, whether it is the fans of the Spartans, Buckeyes, Moutaineers or even Wolverine Alumni want this dude and the team to fail again >>especially by bringing out these allegations a week prior to the first game of the season. Talking about distractions at the wrong time...." Dre

Couldn't agree more. I've been living in SEC country for 12 out of the last 25 or so years and I can't imagine the players down here snitchin out their coaches for feeling "forced" to show up for voluntary practices. I can't get my arms around guys looking to be drafted by an NFL team complaining about being forced to become more competitive.

I think some of the complainers made decisions to play in Michigan when the schemes used were more conducive to their individual skill sets (pre-Rod). Maybe some got rolled over in the change and they've been worked over by some Rod hating boosters with their own agenda. If this all they have on him, it's chickensquat and says something about the character of some of those given scholarships that are prattling on about being overworked.

I know the Sparty fan are taking great joy in anything negative that befalls the Wolverines. My grandfather took me to East Lansing to watch Duffy coach back in the 60's. As a kid I was at the "Game of the Century", the 10-10 tie with State ranked #2 against #1 ranked Notre Dame. I remember Bubba Smith taking Terry Hanratty (ND quarterback) out early in the game.

My grandfather was a fan going all the way back to their Michigan Agricultural College days when they were the "Aggies". I was weaned on the Green.

But by the mid-70's I was living and working in A2. I used to wait tables in a Greek restaurant not far from the stadium. Most of the team were regulars. I remember Rick Leach, Gordon Bell, Harlen Huckleby & Jeff Perlinger all being friendly but beyond that most of the team were pure arrogant a-holes. Bo was in alot and he was pretty gruff and a crappy tipper. But - you couldn't beat the partying, free concerts and the city life.

At the same time State and Daryl Rogers were featuring Kirk Gibson, Larry Bethea & Dan Bass. They had a couple decent & exciting years sandwiched between some pretty bad ones.

So in-state I grew up liking both depending upon who they were playing in any given week. When they played eachother, more often than not I was rooting for State. Living primarily out-of-state for a long time and having to hear the endless "SEC is the best" drivel makes me root for both teams whenever they're on national TV. Makes me root for the Big Ten in general (save the Ohio State Bucknuts).

While leaning towards State, I personally take no joy in Michigan's being demeaned by itself. As a rogue Michigander living in the south I think it's seen as a pox on the state at a time when the state least needs the added negative distraction. It's a shame to watch it self-cannabalize over such an alledged petty infraction. If that's the best they can bring it speaks volumes about what he's likely doing right.

I think the players running off at the mouth are being used by the alumni & boosters to their own ends, I.E. getting rid of Rod now at any cost, before the teams record improves and he becomes immovable.

My opinion as a State fan is I want to take joy in beating a strong Michigan team on the field, not in the paper, not because they've been weakened internally by small politics. There's no joy in mudville if Michigan is reduced to being just another Gopher team. The conference needs a strong, dominant Michigan and so does State.

I honestly don't think it goes anywhere and if anything may backfire if the remaining team gells around the coaching staff. In referencing the internal UofM detractors, it seems a classless and selfish way to support a team and program you profess to love.

8. Darth Tater

Good post G.

But we both know that Sparty can't beat a good Michigan team. They pee on themselves at the mere sight. :sssh::pound: Nope...I'm honest...keep em' crappy so we can beat em'. :pound:

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I heard someone say that they players who leaked the info went to RichRod and said something like "coach, what did we do? We said that this was much harder than what we expected, but we didn't say that there were violations."

Is it possible that the players info was blown out of proportion a bit?

I really don't care much either way, just putting it out there. The Fab Five's records were all scrubbed from the history books and it hasn't affected my life any.

10. round

who are these fab 5 you speak of? I remember alot of hype while i was in college about a great recruiting class that UM had coming in, but when i try to remember what ever happened i just come up blank, looked online and looks like we lost alot of games those years.... :stirthepot:.

(Albion college alum here, mind you we are 1-0 vs Michigan State in football)

11. Darth Tater

Wow, I didn't realize Albion had a college. Is it a division 1 school?
    :pound::stirthepot:

12. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Yes, because Michigan State makes the Finals every year to get a chance at the championship right? Oh wait...no... They don't. 1999-2000 was the last time they made the finals. They did win however.

Why just football? There's plenty of other things. Did Michael Phelps go to Michigan State? Oh not he didn't.

[​IMG]

I bet it hurts that he's one of us! The winner of 8 gold medals in Beijing went to Michigan. Refreshing.

As for the coach question: Michigan is my Alma Mater. We'll leave it at that.

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

I've heard they have an awesome badmitten team.

14. Latinoking90

And to the defense of Michigan -- Ohio State - Big Ten Network

Wait? Ohio State people DEFENDING Michigan...

Yeah....I don't know how I feel about this.

15. Darth Tater

@ Latino King...Seriously, I can't stand Michael Phelps. You can have him. He belongs at U of M.

16. round

Div III and 1994 National Championship winners... We did play and beat Mich state (mind you they were still the land grant school or something like that) and was invited to join the original big 10 like 100 plus years ago, but declined not sure why.

1600 students roughly so no way to compete with the big boys, but its fun to say we were 1-0 vs mich st and the big ten.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I can respect a good football program like OSU defending Michigan for practicing extra. Anybody who listens to these whiney complaining players needs to root for a school who lives and dies by having .500 records year after year.

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

19. Latinoking90

Just like fans of other teams wanted the Lions to keep Millen. :pound:

20. max

max All-Star

I hope it does not turn into Millen #2. 3-9 should have been an automatic dismissal. When you take over a successful program there should be a line drawn at the amount of games you can lose. Once you hit that mark then you have to pack your bags and leave. No excuses.