UM players admit violations

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by detteam, Aug 29, 2009.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't he have a bad first season at his previous school, too? That didn't turn out too badly. I'm not a big fan of Michigan other than they represent the state, but I get the impression that you have to have a particular skill set to execute his system, that it takes time to develop.
  2. max

max All-Star

That's the main excuse we have all been hearing. UM just had their worst season in I don't know how long - 50 years? Maybe longer, all-time. - For what a guy with a complex system.

One big issue is that half your team graduates every year so I don't know how he expects to get some consistency going. Which leads us to excuse #2 in that his predecessor did not draft the right players.

I am almost not too upset with this scandal in that it's at least something that may motivate the team.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Never happen, Bill is an excellent AD and one helluva businessman, great guy too BTW.

Not Funny...................

It's very hard to get canned in AA strictly over wins and losses, but bad press and anything that looks like cheating will get you out of town on the 1st thing smokin'!!! I'm no fan of the spread offense, I liked our pro-style offense that sent a ton of players to the NFL, it's how we always got great recruiting classes.

In the meantime I praying that Gruden lands in in Ann Arbor :fingerscr

Lastly, Little Brother...please go sit down somewhere!
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

RichRod was 3-8 his first year at West Virgina, but turned it around to 9-4 his second year. Not sure if he can duplicate that in Ann Arbor this season, but with 8 home games, he better come close to it...
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Michigan coaches must finish in the top half of their sport in the Big ten conference. That has always been the edict at Ann Arbor. Continued failure to do so will get your bags packed. With the football program, the #1 program in the history of the NCAA division 1 - record wise, he will be on a short leash this season. Remember that Michigan had never lost more than 7 games in a season in their glorious 125 year history. That has happened only 3 times.

Interesting how MSU has had 20 seasons with 6 or more losses in the last 35 years...While Michigan has had only one...Sorry little brother...we're just better.

I fully expect Michigan to rebound with a 9-10 win season this year.
  6. Nemo

Detroit News - Wednesday

Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio was asked if there's a temptation when building a program -- Rodriguez is in his second season at Michigan -- to push beyond the limits.
    "I think most people try to stay within the rules, and I'm sure that's what they're trying to do down the road, too," Dantonio said, referring to Michigan. "We try to stay within the rules."
  7. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I think the 3-9 had as much to do w/ the culture shock Rodriguez brought to UM as it had w/ a new system. When LC ran the show, freshmen would red-shirt, sophmores would get limited playing time and junior/seniors would get starting roles. RRod did not institute the same philosophy i.e. freshmen could take-over starting roles if they could displace a senior player by virtue of talent. That is a sure way to get existing players pissed and disturb team chemistry. Additionally, there is likely a section of the alumni who didn't/don't want him. Plus, he has insinuated that LC left the cup-board bare in some areas, again burning some good will.

I personally don't like all the baggage he brought along, but he has a pretty good track record as a HC, along w/ being credited for being the "guru" of the spread. I prefer the regular Pro-Style O, but it is what it is. If he leaves at this stage the football program will be in a world of hurt. Give him a chance to establish his system.
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

You better hope little brother doesn't sit on your chest and pummel you again on Oct 3rd :pound:

Good programs need good coaches :sssh:
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yes, Michigan USED to be the better team. Nobody is arguing that. However, they suck now and got caught cheating trying to catch up.

Yesterday they were good. Tomorrow they MAY appear to be good (they have to win more than they lose with that home and patsy schedule...how can they not?)

But TODAY they are a laughing stock across the nation.:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:
  10. anakin

Honestly, I don't think incident is big deal "across the nation". Coaches and players recognize it for what it is i.e. being blown out of proportion. The embarassment is the continuing baggage w/ RR. UM is a top notch academic institute i.e. the primary reason I follow them is I have a bunch of close relatives going there. For me it's academics first, sports second.

Caputo article attached.

CAPUTO: Reaction to investigation is a case of 'piling on' Rich Rod - The Oakland Press Sports > Columns: The best place for news in and around Oakland County
  11. Darth Tater

Oh pullleeeassse. They act like we will learn something from this game about the team this yer. It will be 56-3 Michigan and everyone will act like all is well and everyone is behind their coach. But we won't know a thing until Notre Dame at the earliest.

Rich Rod referendum - College Football - Rivals.com
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the point is, if they lose, all hell will break loose. If they win, carnage will be at least temporarily abated.
  13. Darth Tater

I know I said this about the Toledo game last year and App. State the year before, but I cannot in my wildest imagination believe that they will lose.
  14. Darth Tater

The hiring of Rodriguez away from West Virginia — he had renegotiated his contract with the Mountaineers only four months earlier — led to court action and Michigan paying a hefty buyout to the Big East school.

Later, WVU accused him of shredding player files before he left.

The coach also was accused of violating a gentlemen's agreement by recruiting players already verbally committed to other schools.

Several players have left the program, even for Michigan's most bitter rival, Ohio State.

Now current and former players say Rodriguez's staff violated NCAA rules that limit the number of hours players can spend on training and practice.

The common denominator in those events was not the media, the Communist Party or the ghost of Woody Hayes; it was Rich Rodriguez.

Trouble in the Big House - The Macomb Daily Sports: Breaking news coverage for Macomb County, Michigan
  15. Darth Tater

16. Nemo

not really...coaches across the nation as well as national sports pundits are in agreement that this happens all the time at all major programs. This is minor compared to losing to App State.
  17. Darth Tater

So other coaches are admitting that they cheat too? I doubt it. They are just speculating if they aren't stepping up to the plate and giving specific examples. Pity.
  18. anakin

Please, story is that LC didn't wants Miles at UM because of his negative recruting tactics. Spare, the holier than thou attitude about recruiting a verbally committed player. Schools do that all the time, why do think players de-commit all the time? Until a player has signed a letter of intent you can bet he is an open target. Several coaches have commented about negative recuriting tactics.

When Bo joined UM there was a lot of defections. Where do you think the slogan "those who stay will be champions" came from? He worked his kids hard. The LC players didn't like 1) The spread 2) RRod's heavy handedness in pushing his system instead of trying to fit the system to his players.

The NCAA rules talk about mandatory workouts/training. There is a lot of gray area in the NCAA rules about what consists "voluntary" workouts. There are articles out there quoting Tressel and OSU players who said they work way more than 20 hrs a week, the justification is that the "kids wanted to do it themselves". There should be some semblance of fairness in reporting the rules themselves, comments by existing coaches and players who acknowledge the fallacy of the 20 hour limit. Again, if the investigation proves RRod is guilty of the allegations then he should pay the price.

Do I wish RRod had the integrity of Bo or Lloyd, yes, but the piling on w/o being subjective is overdone. How come there is no comments about R. Bush accepting cash while at USC? How about Maurice Clarett? What about G. Winston being re-instated to the Spartan program as soon as he got out of jail. The guy he attacked suffered head injuries, and another guy had a broken jaw. Was this illegal, no, but you or I would have been out of job. Is this guy an ideal candidate for the program?
  19. anakin

Bleacher Report Committed Recruits: "Committed" to a Problem: How To Fix College Football Recruiting | Bleacher Report

Negative Recruting: Weis denies accusations of negative recruiting - More on the Fighting Irish- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Negative recruiting the ugly underbelly of the business - Reports from The Birmingham News - al.com

This is not to justify RRod's actions/baggage. But college football is a big time money maker and there are all sorts of things going on that don't get publicized if the program is cohesive. The bigger worry is that is probably a significant faction of alumni, maybe boosters, who don't like the guy so a lot of the "normal" crap that goes on inside the walls is being leaked to the public. UM IMO is internally divided. If RRod doesn't have a winning record this season, things could get very ugly. I personally wished they hired Brian Kelly or Miles.
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am hoping this thread dies after Michigan opens the season with consecutive wins over WMU, Notre Dame and EMU..