UM players admit violations

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by detteam, Aug 29, 2009.

1. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Amen! I want UM to do well. I think DAntonio is the right guy for the Spartans. I am sure deep down they want to beat a UM team that is not hobbled by scandals, issues etc. This will make the in-state rivalry so much better.

"It's going to be hard for some people, especially the people that were recruited by (former Michigan coach) Lloyd Carr," McGuffie said. "They were used to a certain way of how Lloyd Carr went about things and running Michigan. I believe Rich Rodriguez has a different approach to how he wants Michigan to be known."
    While he's an Owl now, it's clear McGuffie still wants the best for his former school.
    "They're going to get things worked out," he said. "After last year, going 3-9, people are going to try to take shots in any way they can to get Rich-Rod and Co. either out of there or just try to keep them down. Anybody who knows anything about Michigan knows they won't be down long.
    "They'll find a way to put Michigan back on top."
    Quote: Sam McGuffie: Rice Owls!
    Rice Notebook: McGuffie keeps mum on Michigan | Rice Athletics | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It would be nice, sure, but I don't know if it really matters that much.

It doesn't stop scUM from playing Eastern Michigan or Deleware State (in the middle of the season) or from getting eight freaking home games. EIGHT!! They go on the road four times this year. That is an insane and unfair advantage. How in the hell do you go 3-9 with a cake schedule like that??

U of M beat Sparty for years and years while Sparty was "hobbled by scandals, issues etc". It didn't seem to bother them too much. They claimed it didn't even matter. They never took Sparty seriously, they claimed. But now that Sparty is :pound::pound::pound:at them they notice Sparty, alright, and blame them for exacerbating their woes.

I'll be totally honest. This is one Spartan fan that doesn't really care either way. U of M's misery made last season all the sweeter. It didn't make my season, but added more spice to the fond memories.:)

What kid would want to play for U of M with that coach right now? scUM used to get the top recruits. Things have changed. I can't imagine they won't have a winning record given their home games and non-conference schedule so maybe that will save them. We shall see.

3. Darth Tater

I love this thread. :pound: No way I let it die.

Seriously though, isn't Rich Rod responsible for this thread? Not Sparty fans.

But just because you're a good guy Dre, I will start some new threads. It's the school I despise, not you guys on the forum.:)

4. anakin

Sparty's issue was John L. Smith :pound:. I think this will all blow over if RRod starts winning. I want to see good football. I think the external law firm conducted investigation is absolutely a great first step in making sure everything is done above board.

5. Darth Tater

Smith was an Idaho boy. I never minded him. The problems go back way way before him.:MusicBigGrin:

Speaking of Idaho, BSU plays Oregon today. Go Oregon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (But I am a closet BSU hater). Those guys are like mini U of M fans. :pound: Ironically, they despise U of M here.

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

IMO MSU's problems mostly boiled down to not hiring the right coach...same as any other school. Saban was a good coach but too much of a prima donna and flew the coop. RichRod strikes me sorta the same way. Seriously...how does a guy granted the privilege of head coach for 7 years bail on his alma mater just when his program was starting to peak? Yeah, UM is one college football's primo coaching gigs, but why would he do that? Says a lot about his integrity. Personally, I wouldn't trust him in the alley with a dog's breakfast.

I don't despise UM or the guys on the forum...UM is a great university. I only despise the arrogance that seems to be bred in AA.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

It's embarrassing watching the MSU fans get their laughs like this. I've never seen a thread devoted to MSU get this type of response. I guess I didn't understand how bad it's been holding the mantra of "little brother" all these years.
    A bad season bu UM doesn't affect me since I am also a fan of the Lions. But to have been a fan of the Lions and MSU the last 40 seasons. I can't fathom the sadness and sorrow of that situation. With this many posts...somebody would think that MSU fans had hit the LOTTERY. I guess all I can say is enjoy your moment. The season will be over in just a few months.

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Rich Rod the cat?

9. Darth Tater

Yeah, it's the condescending little brother-type comments that got us here. Thank you for the reminder. I almost forgot how arrogant MU could be. It was all fun for scUM when we were the lousy team. But the number one program in town as of today, September 2, 2009 is MSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, you will get used to it. After all...we did. :)

P.S. Good luck in the big game against Western Michigan University. It should be a great battle.

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did you actually read the article? I'm not even a fan of UM and I still think this is getting a little ridiculous. Martin supposedly never knew about it personally, a conflict of interest expert says it's no big deal even if he did know about it, and the bank obviously knows that these guys are making millions from the university and therefore they represent a pretty safe investment.

I guess the boosters (and media vultures) are really getting desperate to oust the football coach, or at least stir the pot. They just make themselves look ridiculous when the school is actually winning when these types of articles come out.

Anyway, go BYU!!!:MusicBigGrin:

12. anakin

Article is nothing but sensationalism and tabloid journalism at it's worst. So the coach borrows money from bank that is available to the public and he is getting his chops busted because Martin is on the Board?

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Actually it reaffirms it. EVERYBODY in AA does business with the BOAA, EVERYBODY. The fact that Martin founded a bank that has pretty much mortgaged the whole city shows you his acumen. Lastly trust and believe that Bill does NOTHING at the bank these days a monthly board meeting and that's it. I would be absolutely shocked if he did anything unethical, he isn't one to risk his fortune and good name on a few residential mortgages. Now if you took out the Rich Rod's name and inserted Alfred Taubman's, then you might have something.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

15. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

They don't. Bill Basically GAVE the UM 10 free years of Grade A service and leadership(he never took his salary-not that he needed it, he needs the write off more than the income) and now he's done. Guy was head and shoulders above his predecessors, Bo and Goss.

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

The State of Michigan has an organization called MichWorks ( www.michworks.org ) on which the unemployed can post resumes and employers can post job openings. You need a username and password to search it. Discovered this job opening there today:

Think I should send them my resume? :pound:

edit to add: for those with access it's Job Order Number 2841808

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Do they have any postings for football coach on there?

20. detteam

detteam All-Star

Haven't seen one yet. Maybe in a couple months.